• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Highlanders vs. Brumbies in Dunedin (12/04/2013)

What happened to the landers? I thought they were a running side? Standing still and waiting for the ball, only gear and poki knows how to run.

But he's not at his best so you've got no arguement. Tanaka should start every game from here out unless he's as bad as Smith has been which is unlikely.

That's not what you said though. You said Smith shouldn't be picked all season no matter what. That comment basically proved that your hatred of one player completely blinds your objective judgement. I find it very unlikely that someone like Smith who played so well for the most of last season would always be this bad.

Ioane has really impressed me. Countless runs... Great physicality

He's pretty much the only Highlander forward that wants to take them on with any sense of urgency.

RE: my earlier Parker comment. I concede that I only saw the last 10-15 minutes of the 1st half. So I only saw him not do much/at all. But he's held his nerve I s'pose. Good on the young guy.

But he's not at his best so you've got no arguement. Tanaka should start every game from here out unless he's as bad as Smith has been which is unlikely.

Tanaka hasn't been any better than Smith so pipe down. Made a good cameo last week after smith was poor, like Darwin said prior to that Smith was ok, not great but hardly as bad as you are making out. Noun has been worse but I don't hear you saying he should be dropped for Burleigh or someone similar.

Hore has also been worse than Smith.

Brumbies not closing out too well but good stuff from the Canberra boys

****ing Andrew hore cost them a chance at a bonus point there. Bloody seal clubber.

Smith was good for the AB's and the highlander last year but not been up to the same level this year. If Perenara wasn't injured last season I doubt he would've started, he was also lucky that Piri was pretty **** last year to.

I dont agree. He's been o.k he needed a blinder but he's just been o.k the usual knock ons and a opportunistic try against a team thats totally dominated.

He has been superb (better than Tanaka who was very good too). If you can't see that I think it proves your pre-determined hatred of Smith is clouding your judgement :)

Let's not get carried away with the anti-Aaron smith sentiment here. He just hasn't lived up to his form from last year - that's it. Couple it with playing with a bad team (and a NZ conference that is suffering from knock-on-itis apart from maybe the Chiefs) then you get what you get.

hasn';t been bad at all. There are worse/better/more suitable players to be harping on about.

Miserable game to watch. Nothing I liked at all about it. Eck.

He has been superb (better than Tanaka who was very good too). If you can't see that I think it proves your pre-determined hatred of Smith is clouding your judgement :)

Im having Larksea/Stephen Donald flashbacks of irrational player assessment based on personal feelings..

Andy Ellis was his pick and im starting too lean that way with recent form ,but he might prove me wrong in the closing weeks.

Well the selection panel in 2011 (which included Hansen) picked Ellis in the WC squad and entrusted him with the key moments in the final. Right now Ellis can barely start for the Crusaders. In 2011 Aaron Smith wasn't around. In 2012 Smith was clearly the form halfback. Perenara got himself injured, TkB wasn't considered ready and all the Ellis fans (of which I was one) wanted Weepu out and were happy with Smith. We don't know what Henry would or wouldn't have done. If he had picked Ellis and Weepu then TKB would have had to be picked as well because we needed a young halfback in the squad. I don't think TKB was ready at all last year. Henry isn't the messiah as well. He made right and wrong decisions in his career. Just because he would have done one thing doesn't mean for sure that it was the right thing to do.

Well the selection panel in 2011 (which included Hansen) picked Ellis in the WC squad and entrusted him with the key moments in the final. Right now Ellis can barely start for the Crusaders. In 2011 Aaron Smith wasn't around. In 2012 Smith was clearly the form halfback. Perenara got himself injured, TkB wasn't considered ready and all the Ellis fans (of which I was one) wanted Weepu out and were happy with Smith. We don't know what Henry would or wouldn't have done. If he had picked Ellis and Weepu then TKB would have had to be picked as well because we needed a young halfback in the squad. I don't think TKB was ready at all last year. Henry isn't the messiah as well. He made right and wrong decisions in his career. Just because he would have done one thing doesn't mean for sure that it was the right thing to do.

Andy Ellis / Willie Heinz is a rotation policy im assuming both are playing great footy, Ellis is clear cut favourtie you would think. Aaron Smith played for Manawatu and NZ Maori in 2011 , 2012 Aaron Smith played well for Highlanders i didnt think he was spectacular or was the top half back in New Zealand but Kudos too him for performing well in the Black jersey. 2013 is a whole new story the halfback spot is tightly contested this year.

Andy Ellis / Willie Heinz is a rotation policy im assuming both are playing great footy, Ellis is clear cut favourtie you would think. Aaron Smith played for Manawatu and NZ Maori in 2011 , 2012 Aaron Smith played well for Highlanders i didnt think he was spectacular or was the top half back in New Zealand but Kudos too him for performing well in the Black jersey. 2013 is a whole new story the halfback spot is tightly contested this year.
Yes, I know who Aaron Smith played for in 2011. The point is no coach is going to pick someone who has 3 Super Rugby starts for a World Cup squad. Cowan was still the Highlanders #1. 2013 is different and Smith does have to up his game. I don't see why he can't do it though if he was very good last season.

Yes, I know who Aaron Smith played for in 2011. The point is no coach is going to pick someone who has 3 Super Rugby starts for a World Cup squad. Cowan was still the Highlanders #1. 2013 is different and Smith does have to up his game. I don't see why he can't do it though if he was very good last season.

okay yes only one person knows who grahme henry would have had at half back in 2012. Aaron Smith could be a 1 season wonder with the depth we have and current form.

Latest posts