• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Highlanders vs. Brumbies in Dunedin (12/04/2013)

Miserable game to watch. Nothing I liked at all about it. Eck.

I'm not surprised by the result (considering the Landers' performance so far this year), but I am disappointed. I only caught the tail end of the game (I can't be awake every night at 3am to watch these matches!), but will go back and watch it in full later. Mebbe the highlight for me will be Justin Marshall saying something stupid. ;)

das

Right then. Another loss. Not unexpected, but frustrating none the less.

The +ves:
- Brad Thorn continue to play well in a beaten tight-five
- Ball presentation at the back of the breakdown was improved (though still far from perfect)
- Tuiali'i continues to play much better than I predicted. He is not quite the same player he was before he left, but he still looks good enough to be starting at this level.
- TJ Ioane had a very good game. He must have spent the off-season working on catching/holding onto the ball as he was nothing like the player that dropped 3-4 balls a game for Otago all last season. His passing game looked much improved too, but what really impressed me was his physical defense - something the Highlanders have really lacked. I still can't stand his style of play, but I will get to that later....
- Tanaka was very good in his starting debut, while Aaron Smith was superb when he came on too (mainly as he was playing his natural game).
- Parker had a good starting debut too. His goal-kicking was flawless (as it often is), he kicked well for territory at times, and took the ball well to the line. His inside passing game brought a different dimension to the Highlanders attack, but he did become a bit obsessed with it at times. I would certainly start him at 10 again next weekend.
- Nonu was strong in defense, ran much straighter at times, and didn't make many (any?) errors.
- The Highlanders employed a more intelligent kicking game this weekend. The didn't execute it that well (mainly due to a poor chase line), but at least they showed they have another option apart from 'run at all costs'.

-ves:
-
The scoreline
- The ball handling in general was very poor
- Far too many missing tackles
- We looked very shaky under the high ball
- The tight-five was outplayed yet again
- We can't seem to put any pressure on opposition ruck ball - the only way we can get the ball off them is if they make a mistake
- Hore was quiet again. MackIntosh was nowhere near as effective as last weekend
- Hoeata was completely anonymous
- Having Ioane doing 20+ hit-ups per match in the midfield basically nullifies any opportunity for backline play. I don't mind them using him there occasionally, but he spent the whole match standing at first or second receiver. The fact Ioane is mixing up his game a bit and passing the ball occasionally is good though.
- Burleigh was very quiet, though to be fair barely touched the ball
- Poki got injured (ribs?), meaning we are getting very short of wings now. Emery may have start on the wing, or they could bring in Ensor/Slade/Renata (personally I wouldn't bring in Slade or Renata as they would mean having to shift Ben Smith onto the wing).
- Gear had a shocker. Ben Smith was very quiet.

Crusaders next weekend.....

I'd love to see Ensor get some game time...

I don't think Ensor is quite ready for this level yet, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea, as we really have nothing to lose....

Well yeah, that's my thinking.

I'd like to see:

1 Woodcock
2 Hore
3 Fia
4 Thorn
5 Bekhuis
6 Wheeler
7 Hardie
8 Tuiali'i
9 Smith
10 Slade
11 Gear
12 Nonu
13 Emery
14 Ensor
15 Smith
16 Coltman
17 Mackintosh/King
18 Hoeata
19 Ioane
20 Tanaka
21 Parker
22 some wing

Give the young guys some game time. At 60 minutes throw B Smith into centre and move Ensor back to fullback etc. Use Ioane as an impact player (where he does his job best).

Today I managed to watch the match at work. I wasn't watching every second of the match, so maybe my perception of what went on is a bit off, but I was under the impression that the video ref really, REALLY wanted the Brumbies to win.

das

Crusaders next weekend. Crusaders just lost to Force so they will get the errors sort out within the next few days. Highlanders has a bigger problem to fix so I cant see Highlanders beating them

i honestly dont know how we have gone so wrong...i dont think we can beat anyone at the moment...

TJ and Quasi were the only ones running with any urgency but because everyone else were so lathargic if anyone does break the line they become isolated,

last year, gear wasn't scoring alot of trys but he was a rock on defence, some really huge hits and shut down his wing...

we've lost more than just Thomspon as a loosie as Hore isn't doing anywhere near as much at the breadown

the blues game was the biggest revalation, i havent seen a pack dominate like that in a long time and yet the backline still couldn't spark

Jamie has to go, he's lost them

i honestly dont know how we have gone so wrong...i dont think we can beat anyone at the moment...

TJ and Quasi were the only ones running with any urgency but because everyone else were so lathargic if anyone does break the line they become isolated,

last year, gear wasn't scoring alot of trys but he was a rock on defence, some really huge hits and shut down his wing...

we've lost more than just Thomspon as a loosie as Hore isn't doing anywhere near as much at the breadown

the blues game was the biggest revalation, i havent seen a pack dominate like that in a long time and yet the backline still couldn't spark

Jamie has to go, he's lost them

The thing for me is they play the crusaders and have a bye and then the sharks at home then they are off on a reasonably hard roadtrip. Other than if they sort their crap out during the bye i give them no chance of winning a game this season.

I mean seriously go down the draw they've got to play the hurricanes and blues again aswell and the force and Rebels will rate themselves to beat this rabble at home. Man if Joseph is still coach by the end of super 15 I'll be pretty suprised.

The next two games against the saders and sharks will be very telling.

This "could" be one of the most embarrasing efforts by a NZ super team in the history of the competition.

Last edited:

Latest posts