• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Highlanders vs. Brumbies in Dunedin (12/04/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Brumbies.png

Referee: Chris Pollock
22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Other matches this weekend:

Chiefs.png
w8nol0.png
Reds.png

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...Rugby-Chiefs-vs-Reds-in-Hamilton-(13-04-2013)

Blues.png
w8nol0.png
Hurricanes.png

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...-Blues-vs-Hurricanes-in-Auckland-(13-04-2013)

Rebels.png
w8nol0.png
Kings.png

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...gby-Rebels-vs-Kings-in-Melbourne-(13-04-2013)

Force.png
w8nol0.png
Crusaders.png

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...ugby-Force-vs-Crusaders-in-Perth-(13-04-2013)

Stormers.png
w8nol0.png
Sharks.png

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...-Stormers-vs-Sharks-in-Cape-Town-(13-04-2013)

Bulls.png
w8nol0.png
Cheetahs.png

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...by-Bulls-vs-Cheetahs-in-Pretoria-(13-04-2013)

BYE
Waratahs.png

Highlanders v Brumbies
FB Stadium, tomorrow, 7.35pm
Highlanders:
Ben Smith, Kade Poki, Phil Burleigh, Ma'a Nonu, Hosea Gear, Hayden Parker, Fumiaki Tanaka, Mose Tuiali'i, John Hardie, TJ Ioane, Jarrad Hoeata, Brad Thorn, Ma'afu Fia, Andrew Hore (captain), Jamie Mackintosh. Reserves: Liam Coltman, Chris King, Josh Bekhuis, Elliot Dixon, Aaron Smith, Colin Slade, Jason Emery.

Brumbies: Jesse Mogg, Henry Speight, Andrew Smith, Christian Lealiifano, Joe Tomane, Matt Toomua, Nic White, Ben Mowen (captain), George Smith, Jordan Smiler, Sam Carter, Peter Kimlin, Dan Palmer, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Reserves: Siliva Siliva, Scott Sio, Fotu Auelua, Colby Faingaa, Ian Prior, Pat McCabe, Tevita Kuridrani.

So, Jamie's written off the season and is going to try and teach a couple of guys a lesson whilst blooding some others at the same time

I can live with all the changes but not sure why Fia has replaced King (keep in mind i am a big Fia fan) as i think our front row dominated and was possibly the one thing that didn't need to change

Also not sure why EMery has dropped, thing in the lats few games, along with buxton, had looked like one of the only guys who could spark something

maybe just taking it easy after coming off last week?....we need to sign him long term.....i very disappointed we havent seen smith in midfield, think before our injuries we had the cover at fulback

did you forget when emery got badly injured in the blues game?

I've actually been thinking Burleigh should be starting at 13 anyway. I think hes looked really good running with the ball and hard to tackle - really just needed more time to get his game up to speed.

Wakeup call for smith and slade, had to be done really.

Blues simply have to win, Brumbies showed they are vulnerable with just a draw at home to the kings. You expect the Highlanders away to be a hell of a lot harder than the kings at home.

Nonu needs to wake up, play a lot closer to his experience level...

I think the highlanders are a much better side with Mackintosh and Mose in.

^ I don't know why the changes were made. They weren't playing bad. Aaron Smith was actually having good games. And you can hardly blame anything on Slade. Sure he hasn't been special, but you can't put that on him. And do they think that Parker is suddenly going to spark things? Hardly.

I'd blame the forwards, but they seem to be infallible.

Desperate call by Jamie Joseph.

Though Fumiake Tanaka has been really good.

Excellent job to cut Smith. But Slade just back from long injury...so he needs to build up his confident level again

Unfortunately Brumbies lost last week and so is a wake up call for them. Jake White will fine tune the team. So I don't think Highlanders will be able to beat Brumbies this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pretty strong looking Brumbies side. Interesting to see them return to the 10. Toomua, 12. Lealiifano combo that has been wokring well all season, with McCabe dropping back to the bench. The outside backs look very dangerous with Mogg back. Very surprised to see ex-Waikato player Jordan Smiler starting for the Brumbies. He has never really stood out to me - I would have thought he would have been well behind the likes of C Faingaa and Auelua (though he is very good as an impact player).

Anyways, onto the team the really matters....

I'm not surprised to see quite a few changes in the Highlanders side this weekend - some I agree with, some I'm not sure about. Fia starts at TH prop which I don't mind, as I don't think there is much (if anything) between King and Fia, and Fia is probably the better scrummager of the two. Though MackIntosh impressed last weekend I worry he is going to struggle against a very good Brumbies front-row (which should be the Wallabies front-row in my opinion, but that is a different story...). Personally I would have preferred Bekhuis over Hoeata at lock, though am happy Hoeata is finally out of the 6 jersey. I'm not happy with Ioane at 6, but to be fair he his handling hasn't let him down for the Highlanders yet, so it is only fair that I give him a chance. I'm still not sure having him doing 20 'hit-ups' a day in the midfield is the best plan, but hopefully Joseph know's what he is doing.....

A change in the halves was due, and I'm glad that both Tanaka and Parker are starting this weekend, as they formed an excellent combination for Otago during the ITM Cup. Tanaka plays like Aaron Smith did last season - hopefully this will help the Highlanders re-discover last seasons early form. Parker is a good young player, and I'm looking forward to him getting a chance at this level. He is an excellent goal-kicker too, so we probably have a good chance if the game is tight. The only issue with the Tanaka/Parker combination is their lack of size. Both are courageous players, but give up 30-40 kg to many of the Brumbies forwards (and even some of their backs) :eek: I'm not convinced with Burleigh at centre. I know Emery got a knock in the last match, but if he is fit enough to be on the bench he should be fit enough to start in my opinion. Burleigh is a good distributor with an intelligent kicking game, but I do feel these talents are wasted at 13 - if they really want to pair him and Nonu in the midfield I would have him at 12 with Nonu outside (though that would again weaken the defense in the inside channels). I do worry about Burlieghs ability to tackle the likes of Andrew Smith, Speight, and Tomane, who are all big guys. It is great to have Poki back (especially with Popoali'i out injured) - hopefully we can get him (and Gear and Smith) some quality ball to work with.

I say it every week, but on paper this Highlanders side could (and perhaps even should) win this match. The key is going to be matching the Brumbies up front, though I suspect we may struggle at scrum time. We need to focus on producing quick and importantly clear ball for the backs to work with, as so far this season we have been producing slow ball that consistently just squirts randomly out the side/back of the breakdown. The backs need to be running straighter (I'm looking at you Ma'a...) as if we can give Poki, Gear and Smith some quality ball we could actually score some tries :eek:

Heart says Highlanders by 10. Head say Brumbies by 10.

Highlanders kicked twice within the first minute..... what is going on? :eek:

EDIT: Try Speight. Poor start by Gear - knocking on a regulation high ball, then getting fended off by Speight....

Last edited:
George Smith shows he is still world class....

Brumbies by 15+ by the end of this match still no answer to the other teams blindsides. In this case one of the best going around in George Smith. Could be a real hiding actually.

Brumbies by 15+ by the end of this match still no answer to the other teams blindsides. In this case one of the best going around in George Smith. Could be a real hiding actually.

I'm not too worried yet... we are actually getting quick ball for about the first time this year, which is a positive sign.

EDIT: Well taken penalty by Parker.

EDIT 2: I love Tanaka

Last edited:
I have to say I have been very impressed with Ioane's physical defense.

I hate to say it, but I like the fact we are kicking the ball.

EDIT: Tuiali'i is playing much better than I expected he would.

Last edited:
Great initial work by Poki, then throws a forward pass 10m directly in front of his own goal-posts :wall:

Latest posts