• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Blues vs. Highlanders in Auckland (05/04/2013)

The Highlanders would be a better team if they could catch the ball.

Highlanders blow a chance to score a try (which would have given them a bonus point). I say it again: we suck.

Course, a BP isn't going to get them anywhere now, but still...

Game , set, match. A good win for the Blues but another ugly loss for the men down south.

Happy that the blues won, deep down was hoping the 'landers would be able to pull it off. They were poor I thought, they desperately need to get their act together.

Culprit why Highlanders -

1) Ma'a Nonu. stupidity in the first half.
2) Aaron Smith lost dont know what he was doing
3) Slade just kick the ball blindly

Train Monday to Thursday ...lose and training another week. Highlanders...when are you going to win. Blues don't really deserve to win

Just look at the fixtures. Next week they will play the Brumbies...My GOD I don't they be able to beat Brumbies....I cant imagine

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they will win next week. Brumbies have to travel and I'm hoping for a spark of creativity from Gear.

That was his main contribution - he was fine, definitely no worse than Smith.

How did Tanaka play aside from that awesome break and offload?

Personally I thought Tanaka was very good when he came on, despite the fact the Highlanders pack continued to deliver incredibly messy ball. He played like Aaron Smith did last season - he was quick to every breakdown, and passed the ball out immediately (and accurately) once the ball was available.

Aaron Smith himself had a complete shocker. He hasn't been at his best this season, and his confidence seems to eroding each match, so much so that almost every aspect of his play was poor this match. His box-kicking was ok at best, his tackling was poor (he missed at least as many as he made), his ball handling shocking (3-4 knock-ons!), his running game non-existent, and his clearance (of admittedly messy ball) at the breakdown poor too. Nickdnz pointed out early in the match that he is playing a style of play this season that doesn't suit him, and I agree entirely. He is obviously been told to be a playmaker at halfback (perhaps Jon Preston's influence?), but this doesn't suit him at all. The best aspect of his game last season was his rapid an accurate deliver from the base of the breakdown, but this season we he gets to the breakdown he looks around for a while before eventually deciding where to pass the ball (ala Piri Weepu c. 2011/12). He needs to go back to his natural style of play, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tanaka gets the start next weekend.

Overall this was another disappointing result for the Highlanders. We probably had the edge at set piece, particularly in the scrum. Hore stepped up a bit this match, but Coltman was disappointing when he came on. He just seems to be so fired up when he comes off the bench he gives away silly penalties and makes basic errors. Jamie MackIntosh certainly played above my expectations, and was part of a very dominant Highlanders scrum! The locks were both solid, while Hoeata had a strong game on defense. John Hardie's performance was once of the few positives from the match. He was solid on defense as usual, but his ball running was a real feature, particularly early on in the match. Tuilali had an ok game at 8. He made a few metres with ball in hand without ever really threatening to break the line, his cover defense was very good, but he did give away a couple of silly penalties. Ioane again made some good yards when he came off the bench, and surprisingly his ball handling was good again (for a 2nd week in a row!). His did miss a couple of relatively simple tackles though, which is an issue that had plagued him in the past (though I thought he improved that aspect of his game for Otago last season).

Slade had a bit of a mixed game for me. He actually took the ball to the line much better than he has been in recent weeks, but didn't really control the game very well, his general play kicking was poor, and he made a couple of handling errors. Nonu was poor again. Not just because of the needless yellow card, but also because of his poor handling (and habit of off-loading to the turf), and the fact he continued to angle towards the touchline with ball in hand, meaning the outside backs had no room when (if) they got the ball. His defense was very good though (as it generally has been all season). Emery and Popoali'i both looked dangerous before they went off with injury, while Gear was solid, but didn't seem as fired up as in previous weeks. Ben Smith was on fire early on, but faded a bit as the match wore on, and made a couple of poor defensive errors later in the match.

It was good to see Mealamu back for the Blues in the second half, and he did some great defensive work. Ta'avao struggled in the scrum, but did show a good work-rate around the park. Luatua was a real standout again with his powerful ball running (and error free performance). Braid and Peter Saili were good too, with Saili getting through a pile of work with ball in hand. O'Connor again did a lot of tackling once he came on.

Weepu had the best game I have seen him play in years, continuing to build on his impressive seasons form. Gibson-Park made a nice cameo off the bench too. Noakes was poor though, with a number of errors, poor goal-kicking, and weak defense. I expect we will see Kerr starting next week. Willison was solid and did a great job of containing Nonu, while Francis Saili made a good impact when he came on. Ranger continued his strong season, and will certainly be pushing hard for an AB's spot if he stays in NZ. Halai was pretty quiet apart from a huge run late in the match, but was generally pretty reliable on the wing. Piutau continues to be a massive threat with ball in hand, but his insistence on running the ball back from kicks every single time is going to cost the Blues. Hopefully he works out that there are some times when kicking for touch is the better option, as he actually has a pretty handy boot on him when he decides to use it!

i went to eden park last night and despite spending a fortune on 350ml speight beers for 8 dollers each i was well entertained.

Ever since Aaron Smith worn joined the ABs jersey, he got complacent. Then he broke protocol and was dropped for the match against South Africa. His current form is terrible. Look the match last night. he was a crying baby....in the game...complaining through the match...in fact he was one of the many that lost the balls...

Last edited:
Ever since Aaron Smith worn joined the ABs jersey, he got complacent. Then he broke protocol and was dropped for the match against South Africa. His current form is terrible. Look the match last night. he was a crying baby....in the game...complaining through the match...in fact he was one of the many that lost the balls...

He cant get to complacent TJ Peranara , Piri Weepu and Tawera Kerr Barlow are all breathing down his neck, i wouldnt be surprised if he loses his All blacks spot all together.

He cant get to complacent TJ Peranara , Piri Weepu and Tawera Kerr Barlow are all breathing down his neck, i wouldnt be surprised if he loses his All blacks spot all together.

Totally agreed....Although I am not Blues fans

Lets not get too carried away with Weepu. His passing was pretty horrible. Several times from set play his pass killed the moves by being behind the receiver.

Lets not get too carried away with Weepu. His passing was pretty horrible. Several times from set play his pass killed the moves by being behind the receiver.

I tend to agree that Weepu's clearances weren't that accurate at times, but overall I thought he had a very good match. He looks a very different player than the one that plodded around the field for the Blues last season....

Latest posts