• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British & Irish Lions - Test 1

I just guess I'm surprised what Lawea showed over beirne. Didn't really seem better in any area, and also beirne hasn't played second row so yeah confused but hopefully goes well
Duhan has grown on me, let's hope the high ball doesn't progeny his downfall but can't argue with him ball in hand

Yeah so no going retract Lawes comments I find him a thoroughly unconvincing 6 and the idea he's the best 6 in the Lions nations is laughable.

Adams not getting the nod is baffling but not crippling that backline is about as good as you can get with switching Biggar for Smith/Russell which was never going to happen.

From the bench I worry about a 5:3 split and we could of probably gone 6:2 due to Daly's inclusion. AWJ shouldn't make all 80mins and is still a risk and with Lawes likely needing binning you have two changes your going to have to make and pray nothing occurs elsewhere.

Its not a terrible side so can't complain too much.

I think not having a proper sub lock (I know Bernie can play lock but most likely I could see Lawes shifting to lock potentially if they need a lock sub) will bite the lions in the ass.
SA have Lood (Granted not 100%) but still is a massive presence to come on.

It feels like the Lions bench have generally a good expansive looking set but then you see the half backs of Murray and Farrell and wonder where the speed will come from in distribution.

Beirne could come on for AWJ and push Lawes into 2nd row and as Oggmonster says, a back row of Beirne, Watson and Conan is very good in it's own right

The lawes decision is a bit baffling. How many times have we seen it doesn't really work? Made even worse by having the 2nd/back row on the bench who has shown he can play 6 at the top level.

I think not having a proper sub lock (I know Bernie can play lock but most likely I could see Lawes shifting to lock potentially if they need a lock sub) will bite the lions in the ass.
I think that's a bit unfair on Beirne. People have a tendency to discredit Beirne as a lock option because he's so good at 6 but he's played the vast majority of his career at lock and I have no qualms about him coming on there.

Have always hated locks moving from the backrow into the second row late on in the game, we used to do it a lot with Beaumont

Lood, arguably the best tighthead lock in the world, vs Lawes who's got 60mins in his legs already? Not really a fair contest when it comes to a late scrum

Also do we think that the leaked team was before SA released their team, and Gatland was expecting them to go 6/2 split on the bench and changed it last minute?

I think that's a bit unfair on Beirne. People have a tendency to discredit Beirne as a lock option because he's so good at 6 but he's played the vast majority of his career at lock and I have no qualms about him coming on there.
Agree with this, but I think Lawes to lock and Beirne to 6 will be more likely, based on how they've been used recently

It feels like the Lions bench have generally a good expansive looking set but then you see the half backs of Murray and Farrell and wonder where the speed will come from in distribution.
Beirne could come on for AWJ and push Lawes into 2nd row and as Oggmonster says, a back row of Beirne, Watson and Conan is very good in it's own right
Yup hadn't considered this with Lawes just assumed Beirne would switch for AWJ

Either doesn't help it would be massively fixed by starting Beirne and having Henderson on the bench if we absolutely must play AWJ.

Agree i think Gats may have changed the split on the bench after he saw SAs.

I'm happy for the Scots involved. It's the first time yonks they've had real representation and I hope they all have excellent games.

It's the Sanjay inclusion I'm struggling with, he's there to cover wing and fullback I imagine but why not shift Daly and the have Aki's power back up or just go 6:2

I don't have that much of a problem with it but when SA have 6ft 9 and 20 stone Lood and Elstadt who is 6ft 6 and 19stone
v
6ft 6 18 stone Bernie and 6ft 1 16 stone Watson there has got to be a slight worry if the game goes tight.

If AWJ goes down early IMO it could become a real issue.

I don't have that much of a problem with it but when SA have 6ft 9 and 20 stone Lood and Elstadt who is 6ft 6 and 19stone
v
6ft 6 18 stone Bernie and 6ft 1 16 stone Watson there has got to be a slight worry if the game goes tight.

So what your saying is Adam Beard should have played. ;)

Last edited:
v

This is true but conversely if the game opens up then the huge SA options are going to struggle to keep with the fresh Beirne and Watson. It's a gamble but I guess Gatland's backing the team to be able to loosen up the game towards the end, and now that SA don't have their 6:2 I can definitely see that happening.

This is true but conversely if the game opens up then the huge SA options are going to struggle to keep with the fresh Beirne and Watson. It's a gamble but I guess Gatland's backing the team to be able to loosen up the game towards the end, and now that SA don't have their 6:2 I can definitely see that happening.

How loose will the game get if Murray and Faz come on though.

See I get that gameplan but surely Smith and Davies should've been on the bench then?

Latest posts