• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should the 6 nations be opened up

Hi all
Should the 6 nations be opened up to tier 2 teams within the next 4-6 years?? for instance the bottom team in the 6 nations could enter in a play off league with the top 2 euro teams in the autumn and play for a place in the 6 nations. Why 4-6 years hopefilly with more funding over the next 4-6 years the likes of Georgia, Russia, Spain, Portugal could improve enough to contest for the 6 nations

The 6 Nations should have promotion/relegation playoff system, as long as the competition exists.
But I'd prefer to see a World 8 Nations, by merging the 6 Nations and the Rugby Championship together (the bottom team is relegated).

And the 6 Nations and the Rugby Championship should not be held in the World Cup years.

That's basically what already exists and no higher standard than they already play. And there won't be more games vs Tier 1 nations in Autumn either.

Not accurate, Georgia play Romania once per year and haven't even faced each other this year. From 2008-2010 NZ were playing Australia 4 times per year.

You say there won't be more games v Tier 1 nations in Autumn, let's assume you're right. What should Georgia & Romania do, sit on their hands and grumble or go and create something of their own that could become as great as the 6N.

So would an Eastern European tournament. Hardly prestigious or comparable to Bledisloe Cup.
All tournaments have to start somewhere, build their history and a following. How prestigious was the Bledisloe Cup in 1931 when it was first played? (rhetorical question)

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, the recurring "expand 6n" thread. 4 years went by so fast.

The strongest argument against this was the number of registered players that these countries have. The IRB doesn't feel like the player bases are strong enough to reach competitive levels in 6N. And in my opinion they're right.
View attachment 3992

Does take into account amateur players though? I notice Argentina are absent, they were always listed as having zero registered players but we all know they're a strong rugby nation with a solid amateur player base.

- - - Updated - - -

Bring in Georgia and Romania and have 2 pools with a semi and a final. People will actually go apesh*t for a yearly knockout competition and a genuine final being played every year. Imagine the buzz for an ireland vs England final at Wembley or a Wales vs France final at the Millennium stadium. I foresee a growth in the game!
Who would be in the two pools? If you split the home nations, you lose the history of the Triple Crown, the yearly events of Ireland v Scotland, England v Wales etc. If you keep the Home Nations in a pool, you put France in with Italy, Romania and Georgia? they're not going to be happy with that and we'd lose England v France etc.

Last edited:
Not accurate, Georgia play Romania once per year and haven't even faced each other this year. From 2008-2010 NZ were playing Australia 4 times per year.

You say there won't be more games v Tier 1 nations in Autumn, let's assume you're right. What should Georgia & Romania do, sit on their hands and grumble or go and create something of their own that could become as great as the 6N.

All tournaments have to start somewhere, build their history and a following. How prestigious was the Bledisloe Cup in 1931 when it was first played? (rhetorical question)

mate... in 1931 those teams were all startups...

atm i think there is as much of a difference between NZ and Georgia as there is between Georgia and some of those Low tier European teams if not more..

I don't think you realize how far Georgia has come in rugby be it Youth development system, Infrastructure or Management... It will soon rival any 6N country in those aspects... It is a fully professional Union with a pro championship and lots of ambition

yet you are telling us to play amateur teams who have players with professions like Doctor, fireman, archeologist etc ??

How do you imagine Gorgodze and zirakashvili going against professor Tudetski from Warsaw university ?
That is so

con·de·scend·ingˌkändəˈsendiNG/adjective

having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

Why do SOB, Parisse, Dusautoir or Healy deserve to play top class opposition year after year while Gorgodze, Mikautadze and Zrakashvili play part time rugby fans ?? are they worse players in quality ?? don't thinks soo...

Now imagine Parisse and Healy's teams being condemned to play such amateurs and you'll realize how that makes us feel....

PS Im not taking about ENC A sides they are good people and respectable adversaries but don't have the ability or will to perform on a higher level.

- I think time zones have to be considered
- Also we have to do it incrementally. History has shown slow and steady changes have been better to competitions. Italy to the 5N for instance; Not like what they've done to Super Rugby.
- The alternative is more tests between tier 1s 2s and 3s.
- Rather than "milk" the top teams why not utilise the barbarians/lions sides? Sides like these could visit smaller sides and play other conglomerate teams like the Pacific Islanders, even on neutral soil.
- The game needs to be more global
- Island rugby needs to be given attention too. With 6N becoming bigger it is a possibilty more island players will chose 6N teams. It is no secret that the IRB is not interested in helping Island Rugby.

atm i think there is as much of a difference between NZ and Georgia as there is between Georgia and some of those Low tier European teams if not more..
I'm not advocating Georgia play low tier European teams.

yet you are telling us to play amateur teams who have players with professions like Doctor, fireman, archeologist etc ??
I'm advocating Georgia play Romania more often, a good team on their level. Start an Eastern European Tri Nations (3N) tournament, maybe with Russia or a third qualifier.

The top Eastern European teams outside the 6N need to be pro-active about creating their own competition because the 6N is never going to include them.

Last edited:
I'm not advocating Georgia play low tier European teams.

I'm advocating Georgia play Romania more often, a good team on their level. Start an Eastern European Tri Nations (3N) tournament, maybe with Russia or a third qualifier.

fruitless as both Romania and Russia are expected to Regress in the near future, unfortunate but true.

Romania is pretty much drawing its last breath as a respectable rugby nation.. their future generations lose to the likes of Spain, Portugal and Belgium on regular basis... Russia is in an even worse state. why do you think we want to get out of ENC so much.. at this rate it will soon turn into a social club.

Latest posts