What's up with the BBC?

TommiG88

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Just a bit of a rant. England is just about to hold a rugby World Cup and the BBC's coverage build up has been nigh on embarrassing. They should be promoting the sport but all the feature articles they have presented have been quite the opposite.

A few days ago they were comparing rugby at state schools to private schools and now they're posting the following.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34254653

This does obviously need to be changed in my opinion. Although, this isn't the time, they should be hyping up a World Cup on home soil not undermining it.

Salty at not getting the TV rights perhaps?

Hadn't really considered this angle as I quite enjoyed the articles in question but I agree, the tone of each is hardly in the spirit of things. Banned from the Hype thread for sure.

Need to write columns before the tournament not much to say I mean the Scotland article was pretty depressing Scottish pundits hoping they'd make it out the group.

Need to write columns before the tournament not much to say I mean the Scotland article was pretty depressing Scottish pundits hoping they'd make it out the group.

The 6 nations gets more pre tournament column inches than this. I would at least like to see a World Cup low down, key players etc. just to feed the hyperbole.

I just feel the BBC are being a tad negative. They could have led up to the World Cup with about an in depth feature on each nation, looked into their history. So many things really.

Maybe you're right Ddanno, a bit salty about having no rights.

The 6 nations gets more pre tournament column inches than this. I would at least like to see a World Cup low down, key players etc. just to feed the hyperbole.

I just feel the BBC are being a tad negative. They could have led up to the World Cup with about an in depth feature on each nation, looked into their history. So many things really.

Maybe you're right Ddanno, a bit salty about having no rights.

Think rights come into it. I also think the BBC is so invested in their football coverage that they will always give precedent to it. I hazard a guess for every 1 rugby journo, freelance or otherwise, they employ they have 4 or 5, possibly more football journos.

They should just link to our hype thread.

The BBC is in savings mode:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ut-the-national-debt-says-George-Osborne.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11712738/BBC-to-cut-1000-jobs-in-management-cull.html
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/01/chris-bryant-bbc-cuts-conservative-government
etc.

Bits of interest:

Telegraph: The BBC has to make "a contribution" to the budget cuts Britain is facing, George Osborne has said as he signalled a £650million raid on the Corporation's finances.
Telegraph: More than 1,000 jobs are to be cut at the BBC as senior management roles are sacrificed in the next round of cost-cutting measures.The BBC aims to save £50million in the latest efficiency drive, with layers of managementto be ruthlessly cut .
Guardian: The Guardian revealed on Tuesday that the BBC was preparing to announce "painful" cuts to help fill a £150m funding shortfall in 2016-17. With the BBC trying to protect its remaining television channels and radio stations, it is expected that job cuts could run into the high hundreds or more, from its 18,000 workforce.
Guardian: The Treasury is understood to be considering whether it can insist that the BBC foots the bill for the £700m-a-year charge of providing free television for the over-75s. If non-payment of the £145.50-a-year licence fee is decriminalised – an idea which has cross-party support – the BBC could end up with a further £200m bill.

The BBC is in savings mode:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ut-the-national-debt-says-George-Osborne.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11712738/BBC-to-cut-1000-jobs-in-management-cull.html
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/01/chris-bryant-bbc-cuts-conservative-government
etc.

Bits of interest:

Telegraph: The BBC has to make "a contribution" to the budget cuts Britain is facing, George Osborne has said as he signalled a £650million raid on the Corporation's finances.
Telegraph: More than 1,000 jobs are to be cut at the BBC as senior management roles are sacrificed in the next round of cost-cutting measures.The BBC aims to save £50million in the latest efficiency drive, with layers of managementto be ruthlessly cut .
Guardian: The Guardian revealed on Tuesday that the BBC was preparing to announce "painful" cuts to help fill a £150m funding shortfall in 2016-17. With the BBC trying to protect its remaining television channels and radio stations, it is expected that job cuts could run into the high hundreds or more, from its 18,000 workforce.
Guardian: The Treasury is understood to be considering whether it can insist that the BBC foots the bill for the £700m-a-year charge of providing free television for the over-75s. If non-payment of the £145.50-a-year licence fee is decriminalised – an idea which has cross-party support – the BBC could end up with a further £200m bill.

I don't want to go into the cuts, as I think it makes little difference. (to this current discussion :) )

The 2 feature articles released this week have been a bit negative. It wouldn't be difficult to cobble together a couple of positive ones instead.

Last edited:
I've noticed the bbc gives more coverage to woman's football than to rugby.

The BBC always like to focus on random small things they are invested in somehow (like having sporting rights)

In all the BBC is a biased disgrace of a company. Their coverage and articles is often full of mistakes. Scrap the BBC and save my licence fee

The BBC always like to focus on random small things they are invested in somehow (like having sporting rights)

In all the BBC is a biased disgrace of a company. Their coverage and articles is often full of mistakes. Scrap the BBC and save my licence fee

The BBC is an inflated monster that needs to be cut down to size and, once more, become a impartial voice and respected broadcaster!

It has become a home for very expensive (salary and expenses) lefties whom no other company would employ!

It is helping to ruin local news outlets and there really is no need for the number of channels it airs both on TV and Radio.

Cutting back on this plus sacking a few of top management and moving out of London completely would save it and the tax payer a fortune!! Incidentally, sacking 1000 to save 500 million means each one had an average cost of 50k!!!

Back on topic..... Reckon they rate rugby alongside fox hunting except when they are allowed some games to cover on TV!!!

Virtually ignoring sports that they don't have / lost the rights to is nothing new for the BBC, although to barely pay lip service to "the world's third biggest sporting event" does show a degree of contempt for their audience. Actively coming up with articles that paint the sport / competition in a bad light is something new and pretty low though. As an example of how poor their coverage is, when I looked on the BBC Rugby page on my phone at lunch time, one of the top headlines was reporting that 1/2p may miss the WC! I guess that their excuse would be that half their pundits are working for ITV!

The point about women's football is interesting - the popularity of sports (by whatever measure you pick) seems to have little bearing on what sports the BBC chose to cover.

Virtually ignoring sports that they don't have / lost the rights to is nothing new for the BBC, although to barely pay lip service to "the world's third biggest sporting event" does show a degree of contempt for their audience. Actively coming up with articles that paint the sport / competition in a bad light is something new and pretty low though. As an example of how poor their coverage is, when I looked on the BBC Rugby page on my phone at lunch time, one of the top headlines was reporting that 1/2p may miss the WC! I guess that their excuse would be that half their pundits are working for ITV!

The point about women's football is interesting - the popularity of sports (by whatever measure you pick) seems to have little bearing on what sports the BBC chose to cover.

But women's sport is PC so naturally the BBC are in that particular wagon along with the Paralympics etc!

Women's sport is cheap as **** - Channel 4 do the Paralympics, not the BBC.

Women's sport is cheap as **** - Channel 4 do the Paralympics, not the BBC.

I was unsure what the PC way of describing sport played by parathletes but BBC does have a lot of it......no criticism honest!!!

The only thing the BBC care about is Wimbledon which explains why they constantly ram tennis down everyone's throat on a regular basis because we are all supposed to care that Andy Murray lost in some grand slam somewhere.

Is this the first meeting of the Anti BBC Institute?

In regards to the impartiality - theyre impartial to people who want them to be. Anyway, its all getting political and seeing as we have one of those threads can that side of thing be taken there and keep coverage related posts here. Also 'cos I don't do politics and it bores the bejesus out of me

The BBC appear to have woken up!

Hopefully this was just a sound tactic to not over saturate us on Rugby before the tournament actually began.

Try dealing with news coverage that can be bought at the whim of those with deep pockets. Having lived in the states for the best part of 5 years I can assure you that it is no fun. The same goes for quality radio broadcasting. I was very much of your mindset before suffering the alternative.

In terms of the Paras, any coverage they get is cheap. The same goes for womens football. I'd rather they gave the choice of being able to watch it, rather than just having the option of Top gear re-runs. I'd love them to do more rugby but they can't afford it. And I'd much rather watch their measured approach than Sky's. Can't imagine that ITV will do much of a job either, if their football output is anything to go by.

- - - Updated - - -

But women's sport is PC so naturally the BBC are in that particular wagon along with the Paralympics etc!

Why is it PC? Half the population are women, whats the problem with televising womens' sport?

1. i thought all football was womens.
2. Random small things like Corbyn.
3. They are a biased bunch of lefties.

Latest posts