• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should the 6 nations be opened up

This. Why do they have to get into the 6N? make their own 6N. Georgia should join up with Romania, USA, Japan and Canada and there's a 5N tournament right there. Russia could join in a few years to make it six when they improve. Top teams can get games v touring sides in the Autumn windows.
Georgia and Romania will join the PNC after this world cup...

but that creates enormous Logistical problems. all of those countries are basically earths diameter away from each other. And it does fuuk all for European rugby.. thats just another 2 teams joining yet another closed competition and it's just hiding the problem instead of fixing it.. Soon Germany and Belgium will be coming up in the ranks and we'll start the same debate all over again.

Georgia and Romania will join the PNC after this world cup...
I haven't rated the PNC because the Island teams haven't had their best players available. I'm not sure if that has changed in recent years. If there's going to be another tournament it should come with the caveat that all nations have their best players available. That is the reason the 6N and 4N is successful, it is a true competition.

but that creates enormous Logistical problems. all of those countries are basically earths diameter away from each other. And it does fuuk all for European rugby.. thats just another 2 teams joining yet another closed competition and it's just hiding the problem instead of fixing it.. Soon Germany and Belgium will be coming up in the ranks and we'll start the same debate all over again.

Leave it open to expansion as other teams reach the requisite level.

The 6N is considered by clubs as full and promotion-relegation is not an option. These other nations have to create their own competition, their own solution. Make a Tri Nations of Romania, Georgia and a third qualifier (maybe Russia since Georgia enjoy hammering them). Expand it as other teams reach the required level. They have to take the initiative.

Last edited:
I haven't rated the PNC because the Island teams haven't had their best players available. I'm not sure if that has changed in recent years. If there's going to be another tournament it should come with the caveat that all nations have their best players available. That is the reason the 6N and 4N is successful, it is a true competition.

Leave it open to expansion as other teams reach the requisite level.

The 6N is considered by clubs as full and promotion-relegation is not an option. These other nations have to create their own competition, their own solution. Make a Tri Nations of Romania, Georgia and a third qualifier (maybe Russia since Georgia enjoy hammering them). Expand it as other teams reach the required level. They have to take the initiative.

Only you guys can make it happen. Why not invite Italy. Georgia are currently above them in the rankings. Georgia,Romania,Italy would make an interesting tournament. Possibility of Spain or Russia appearing depending on where they finish in the ENC. Either way Its time the IRB took serious notice of the up and coming teams and provide a meaningful platform for competitive games so to progress to the possibility of challenging for a 6N place

I think they should open it up for promotion/relegation, so the wooden spoon winners have to play the top tier 2 European nation for the right to play in the following year's 6N. That would make it interesting.

ENC is played over two years though ? You'd have to format the Six Nations championship over two seasons to not mess around with seven other European nations competitions.

But test matches should happen between ENC winners/toppers and six nations spooners every season just to have some weight for the argument ?
I'd rather keep Italy as they have more tools and finances than the likes of Georgia.

Perhaps FIRA should let the home nations 'B' teams compete in their tournaments ? Kinda like the Spanish second division where Madrid and barca b teams can't be promoted ? It may open up TV deals and second hand highlights shows for European viewers ?

If we want rugby to progress throughout Europe, countries need to get a chance to get exposure more often than every four years.
Yes to a playoff between the wooden spoon and Six Nations B's winner.

Yes, that's the only way to make sure the smaller nations can progress and for interest to increase there.

I think they should open it up for promotion/relegation, so the wooden spoon winners have to play the top tier 2 European nation for the right to play in the following year's 6N. That would make it interesting.
Relegation is too damaging. The aim should be to bring more teams to the top table not swap one out for the other.

There needs to be another top tier NH international tournament, the 6N doesn't have much room for expansion.

Relegation is too damaging. The aim should be to bring more teams to the top table not swap one out for the other.

There needs to be another top tier NH international tournament, the 6N doesn't have much room for expansion.
Issue being how do you separate the teams? The home nations will refuse to be parted and France will demand to play with the other big boys...leaving Italy

Issue being how do you separate the teams? The home nations will refuse to be parted and France will demand to play with the other big boys...leaving Italy
The best of the rest need to create their own tournament. For example, a Romania-Georgia-Russia Tri Nations, keep the standard high, with the door open to expansion as the other teams improve. Also more games v tier 1 nations in the Autumn window.

I can't see 6N changing.

Still a case of everyone wanting to look after their own....want to play who they want to play, keep the money, not risk "relegation" and make sure they get the plum ties while keeping the opposition down...get used to the same thing for the next 100 years...guess those people who decided France should join the 4 Nations were wrong, as were the ones who let Argentina join the RC....oh no hang on they both made it better, but if Scotland or Italy or WALES or ENGLAND have to spend a year in "division 2"? Far too damaging for the game.

I despair.

Yeah, but Georgia and Romania are too good for it. They need to play each other more often (like NZ & Oz) and start a more prestigious Eastern European tournament of their own (with an open door to expansion). Six Nations B reeks of "Division 2".

It's not viable for the 6N to keep expanding, there needs to be other tournaments like the SH 3N created to make their own history.

Last edited:
Yes!
But it won't happen until the tier 2 teams hit a crowd/revenue quota.. It will mainly come down to lack of travelling fans..

Still a case of everyone wanting to look after their own....want to play who they want to play, keep the money, not risk "relegation" and make sure they get the plum ties while keeping the opposition down...get used to the same thing for the next 100 years...guess those people who decided France should join the 4 Nations were wrong, as were the ones who let Argentina join the RC....oh no hang on they both made it better, but if Scotland or Italy or WALES or ENGLAND have to spend a year in "division 2"? Far too damaging for the game.

I despair.

Bring in Georgia and Romania and have 2 pools with a semi and a final. People will actually go apesh*t for a yearly knockout competition and a genuine final being played every year. Imagine the buzz for an ireland vs England final at Wembley or a Wales vs France final at the Millennium stadium. I foresee a growth in the game!

Yes!
But it won't happen until the tier 2 teams hit a crowd/revenue quota.. It will mainly come down to lack of travelling fans..

well the away fixtures won't lack Georgians that's for sure, we are famous for great travelling support... Neither will the home ones, I fully expect 40k+ attendances for such games although the ticket prices might be around $5.. But that's only good. more money to people, less money to corporate buzztards. Georgia is the banner-man for the true sporting values in rugby whereas everyone else seems to think business comes first.. oh the irony, Rugby nations losing the real rugby values but Georgia has gained them.

When I started playing Rugby the first thing I was taught included all of those... pity the mentality doesn't work all the way to the top.

Ah yes, the recurring "expand 6n" thread. 4 years went by so fast.

The strongest argument against this was the number of registered players that these countries have. The IRB doesn't feel like the player bases are strong enough to reach competitive levels in 6N. And in my opinion they're right.
IRB Player Numbers.jpg

Really like that diagram shows why the more players in England argument happens and why it's false. Surprised with Japans senior numbers!

well there is a way WR could turn current PNC into a Intercontinental Cup with all the current teams + Geo, Rom... you could also play a repechage for promotion there and have the Last place team play 2 legged playoff for promotion/relegation... that could become the first ever open rugby competition and a viable destination for the low tier teams.

The best of the rest need to create their own tournament. For example, a Romania-Georgia-Russia Tri Nations, keep the standard high, with the door open to expansion as the other teams improve. Also more games v tier 1 nations in the Autumn window.

I can't see 6N changing.

That's basically what already exists and no higher standard than they already play. And there won't be more games vs Tier 1 nations in Autumn either.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but Georgia and Romania are too good for it. They need to play each other more often (like NZ & Oz) and start a more prestigious Eastern European tournament of their own (with an open door to expansion). Six Nations B reeks of "Division 2".

It's not viable for the 6N to keep expanding, there needs to be other tournaments like the SH 3N created to make their own history.

So would an Eastern European tournament. Hardly prestigious or comparable to Bledisloe Cup.

Latest posts