• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who to call up next? The Wales injury saga continues...

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss who Wales could have to call up next. After the losses of Jonathan Davies, Rhys Webb, Leigh Halfpenny, Scott Williams, Halam Amos, Corey Alan, Eli Walker, Gareth Anscombe and probably Liam Williams too, things are looking crazily threadbare.

I have already heard some calls for James Hook and even a shout for the two-time grand slam centre (most of the time frustratingly confusingly dichotomously mercurial) Sir Gavin of Henson.

Whats your thoughts.

I think announcement about injuries and replacements will be made tomorrow.

No medical knowledge, but I'd assume Amos and Scott Williams will have to be replaced. Hopefully Liam Williams will be ok (and may be kept in regardless if they think he'll recover in next 2/3 weeks). Hook to cover 13 perhaps, then a winger (has Walker recovered, and can he be called back in?) to allow North to move in.

Gatland has made plain that he doesn't rate Hook, he called up Tyler Morgan when Corey Allen got injured.

I think Hook is inevitable.

Considering how long the list of injuries is you really want some experience dropped in, as they're having to go into an environment where they've not trained or played in the side. Experience/leadership is needed in what will be a mish-mash backline vs a potential banana skin in Fiji, and their bogey team of Australia.
Henson would be my first choice to bring in - covers 10/12/13/15 nicely, tons of experience and he's never been to a world cup!

No idea of wingers, though - Eli Walker still injured?

Not many centres really knocking about to take Scott Williams' place, considering that Ashley Beck and Jack Dixon out injured.

Considering we need fullback cover too, Hook is the main choice.

Couple of potential left field option:

Gavin Henson - would be bloody funny to see him finally get a world cup call, so why the hell not? Might well still have a few world class performances left in him.

Phil Dollman - always rated him when he was at the Dragons, and he's only gotten better at Exeter. Welsh qualified, and can cover centre, wing and fullback. Not the worst back up option.

My great grandfather on my Dads side was Welsh.
I'm available on the next match day... 15 and a half stone, I'm pretty sure I can move as quickly as Brad Barritt, especially in the direction of a Buffet.
I've played halfback and fullback in my younger days, and a season at Hooker, but I'm ready to turn my hand at centre so watch out...

qrj1n8.jpg

Anscombe might be a shout actually? Was said to be out for around 2-3 weeks when his injury was reported, and that was 3 weeks ago I think?

I'm really struggling to see what kind of team we're going to be able to field against Fiji on Thursday... Roberts and Tyler Morgan are the only fit centres, but Roberts must be knackered! We have no fit full back's at this moment in time apart from Matthew Morgan, who may not be the safest option with Nadolo rampaging around the park... I'm having nightmare visions of Priestland or Cuthbert starting there...

Last edited:
Priestland at full back. You know it makes sense.

My guess is North will be left at 13 for the foreseeable and someone else put on the wing.

hello all,

not sure who we will call up if im honest, many people saying hook and to a certain extent i agree as it makes sense. Although Gatland is more likely to call Anscombe back up (if he is fit again) it seems a stupid idea though as he will have had no game time at all after his injury. Tyler morgan is back with the squad training so we might just see him start against fiji, id be inclined to have north at 12 and morgan at 13. I dont think we can risk Roberts, if he gets injured thats pretty much game over. Another centre/fullback would still need to be called up so id go with Hook.

on second thought, perhaps moving North would be a bad idea. The thought of walker or cuthbert defending against Nadolo is not a pretty one lol

Last edited:
Personally, I reckon Anscombe is a certainty for a call-up. Tyler Morgan is already there too so he'll be involved I'm sure. If he was suitably prepared I actually would have given Henson a shot, but I just don't see how his fitness will be anywhere near the standard required. As it stands I think Hook is the logical choice to bring in, but I wouldn't field him unless it was an absolute emergency, and certainly not at 10. We'll see though...stranger things have happened!

Personally, I reckon Anscombe is a certainty for a call-up. Tyler Morgan is already there too so he'll be involved I'm sure. If he was suitably prepared I actually would have given Henson a shot, but I just don't see how his fitness will be anywhere near the standard required. As it stands I think Hook is the logical choice to bring in, but I wouldn't field him unless it was an absolute emergency, and certainly not at 10. We'll see though...stranger things have happened!

I dont see the point in him calling hook back, as he will have no intention of using him (maybe at 13 at a push). im sure gats would rather field morgan/priestland at fullback than hook, which is bizzare considering how much time hook played at fullback for perpingan (ive probably spelt that wrong). he can be an amazing player at times but more often than not he's made bad decisions lately. Anscombe will probably get called up again

Latest posts