• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] 2nd Warm Up Match: Wales vs Ireland (29/08/2015)

I'm laughing pretty hard over here.

Haha i know it sounds dumb but I didn't mean it in detriment to O'Brian, he's one of the best opensides in the world.. If you watched Aus beat NZ, they put three of there best players on the bench and got them on to up the tempo at 60.

I think it would pay Ireland dividends in Doing this with the lights of O'Brian.. And having O'mahany and co starting.

Sorry, should have explained and not just throw in a sweeping statement.

Wales played well, I think Ireland have another gear though..

Haha i know it sounds dumb but I didn't mean it in detriment to O'Brian, he's one of the best opensides in the world.. If you watched Aus beat NZ, they put three of there best players on the bench and got them on to up the tempo at 60.

I think it would pay Ireland dividends in Doing this with the lights of O'Brian.. And having O'mahany and co starting.

Sorry, should have explained and not just throw in a sweeping statement.

Wales played well, I think Ireland have another gear though..

You sure about that? This is the game where they beat NZ http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/match/244313.html notice Pocock starting. Maybe confusing it with the SA match?

In any case, what should be done isn't what is - fit O'Brien starts every important Ireland match.

The other guys named are definitely part of Ireland's strongest XV too as well to be fair.

You sure about that? This is the game where they beat NZ http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/match/244313.html notice Pocock starting. Maybe confusing it with the SA match?

In any case, what should be done isn't what is - fit O'Brien starts every important Ireland match.

The other guys named are definitely part of Ireland's strongest XV too as well to be fair.

Was thinking more Skelton, Toomua, Slipper.. Yeah you last part was my point.
O'Brian will be an asset for the Irish in the WC looking forward to him smashing some people..

Disappointing by Ireland, Joubert and Gatland are my thoughts for the day.

Ireland because we were beaten at our own game.
Joubert, of whom I'm normally a fan, was not good for Ireland. That's fair enough. What's not good is that he ignored the touch judge's screams for the game to be stopped when Earls went down. I was at the match and in a position where I could see the injury and saw Joubert ignore the calls for the watch to be stopped.
Gatland because as ever he has no respect and is an obnoxious eejit. "Ireland don't play much rugby" ?? Really Gatland. If that's what you think, fine. Just remember you're paid to represent Wales and you're making yourself look terrible.

I think Tipuric is the only Welsh guy enhancing his rep and he is only back up to Warburton! Lydiate has been anonymous!

Don't no what game you're watching, you are right about Tips, best openside in the World at the moment, plenty of other good performances for us as well, these are the 2 best Northern Hemisphere sides at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I would be more worried about the ice on Sexton's elbow as Paddy Jackson has been a disaster so far!!

Sexton was'nt all that today, Biggar was much better

- - - Updated - - -

Had that been given as a try it would have been disastrous for Wales!!

Thought they might have taken Paulie off earlier to give him the ovation he deserves?

If it had been a boxing match Wales would have won by knockout

- - - Updated - - -

Tipuric, MOM by a mile. What a proper no.7; what a player. The type of payer England are missing and crying out for.

Worse thing is I can now see Australia playing Pocock and Hooper and Wales will play Tipuric and Warburton against England. If both Australia and Wales can get parity in the front 5, I can see England being in a lot of trouble at the breakdown. They will rely on Cole, Launchbury and Billy to match Australia and Wales there. Will it be good enough?

No

- - - Updated - - -

Disappointing by Ireland, Joubert and Gatland are my thoughts for the day.

Ireland because we were beaten at our own game.
Joubert, of whom I'm normally a fan, was not good for Ireland. That's fair enough. What's not good is that he ignored the touch judge's screams for the game to be stopped when Earls went down. I was at the match and in a position where I could see the injury and saw Joubert ignore the calls for the watch to be stopped.
Gatland because as ever he has no respect and is an obnoxious eejit. "Ireland don't play much rugby" ?? Really Gatland. If that's what you think, fine. Just remember you're paid to represent Wales and you're making yourself look terrible.

Gatland is not an idiot, look in the mirror.

Honestly for a rugby genius Gatland can be a bit obnoxious. Like the Mourinho of rugby: No one would mind him coaching their nation but by heavens he can make you cringe with embarrassment.

Decent game, looking forward to the Welsh pool immensely. The Aus vs. Wales battle is two very similar teams lining up, got the most 1v1 battles.

I called him an eejit. Not an idiot. And an eejit he is. He's the Mourinho of rugby.

Nah.....he is far worse than that!!

Cav sucks! (yeah, take that!)

On a side note, I don't think anyone has ever doubted Tipuric's ability. It's just that Warburton is a better 7 when it comes to helping the team.
I was very impressed with Tip's apparently increased ability at the breakdown and tackle area today though.

Don't no what game you're watching, you are right about Tips, best openside in the World at the moment, plenty of other good performances for us as well, these are the 2 best Northern Hemisphere sides at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Sexton was'nt all that today, Biggar was much better

- - - Updated - - -

If it had been a boxing match Wales would have won by knockout

- - - Updated - - -

No

- - - Updated - - -

Gatland is not an idiot, look in the mirror.

Hahahahahaha

So aggressive.

VC is just the resident Welsh troll.

I didn't see the game so how was the matchup?

It was a breakdown battle. Very intense and enjoyable. Both teams lacked a cutting edge but it's only a friendly. I'm a tad worried for us, as I think wales will destroy us at the breakdown. I'm going for a slight England win with wales leading at half time.

Also I wish tips was English. Went to the saints ospreys game. Saints strolled to victory but my god that man is good.

Guys, more talking about what people are saying and less about people.

Problem with warm-ups is a lot of it doesn't mean much; just trying to work out what does mean something.

Wales' take aways will be

- Poor lineout; not the first time, won't be the last time
- Got penned back as the game went on
- Very good day at the breakdown, I've rarely seen Ireland do so poorly/the opposition do so well
- Good defence, but Ireland running short of ideas is not new
- Good scrum and maul

Their fear vs Aus and England will be conceding that much opportunity to sharper teams will result in them going behind; it's a shame for them Williams is injured.

I heard Dylan Thomas (francis) went well, anyone who saw the game have any thoughts?

Couldn't help but notice that the weather played a huge part in that game.

First half. In the sunshine, with dry ground, Wales really put Ireland to the sword.

Second half. The heavens opened, yet it was 6-0 to Wales.

I liked the way they adapted, went from offence to defence.

Also, how many times during the World Cup, will we hear the phrase 'Halfpenny is a machine!' ;)

He's got (literally) gold in his boots - I imagine his name will get a fair bit of airtime

I heard Dylan Thomas (francis) went well, anyone who saw the game have any thoughts?

The boyo got the better of things to be sure.

Ireland remind of England 2012/13, only better. The play style has two frailities - chasing the game, and getting done over at the contests for the ball. Both of those things happened for Ireland today and they'll be working damn hard to ensure they don't again.

I forget whether I did one of those "Five most vital players" for Ireland, but I feel Rory Best's importance is now quite critical, possibly only behind the half-backs.

Rory Best is my favourite Ireland player.

Never fails to make me chuckle when he's throwing lineout balls parallel to the touchline.

Rory Best is my favourite Ireland player.

Never fails to make me chuckle when he's throwing lineout balls parallel to the touchline.

If it wasn't for the fact you're clearly on more LSD than Aleister Crowley's ghost I'd fight you.

If it wasn't for the fact you're clearly on more LSD than Aleister Crowley's ghost I'd fight you.
????
Best is notorious.
His arse goes like the bloody clappers as soon as the pressure's on and there's the sniff of a lineout
@cyRil will back me on this

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts