• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland 'A' vs Ireland Wolfhounds

Jockstap

First XV
TRF Legend
The O2 Ireland Wolfhounds team to play Scotland 'A' in Netherdale this Friday, January 28th, has been named.
The team will be coached by Eric Elwood and Anthony Foley with Chris Henry named as captain.

Gavin Duffy moves from the Senior squad to the Wolfhounds and will start at fullback while Fergus McFadden has been called into the senior squad as cover with Ian Whitten replacing him for the trip to Scotland.

Ian Nagle will start for the Wolfhounds on Friday as both Donnacha Ryan and Dan Tuohy, named in the original squad, have been ruled out because of injury. He will be partnered in the second row by Devin Toner.

O2 Ireland Wolfhounds Team & Replacements (v Scotland 'A', Friday, January 28th, Netherdale, 19:30):

15. Gavin Duffy (Galwegians - Connacht)
14. Johne Murphy (Young Munster - Munster)
13. Eoin O'Malley (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
12. Nevin Spence (Ballynahinch – Ulster)
11. Denis Hurley (Cork Constitution - Munster)
10. Ian Humphreys (Ballymena - Ulster)
9. Tomás O'Leary (Dolphin – Munster)

1. Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians - Connacht)
2. Damien Varley (Garryowen - Munster)
3. Tony Buckley (Shannon - Munster)
4. Ian Nagle (Cork Constitution – Munster)
5. Devin Toner (Lansdowne - Leinster)
6. Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
7. Willie Faloon (Ballynahinch - Ulster)
8. Chris Henry (Ballymena - Ulster) Captain

Replacements:
16. Nigel Brady (Dungannon - Ulster)
17. Jamie Hagan (Corinthians - Connacht)
18. Andrew Browne (Galwegians – Connacht)
19. Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne - Leinster)
20. Isaac Boss (Terenure College - Leinster)
21. Niall O'Connor (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
22. Ian Whitten (Ballynahinch – Ulster)

So at least we know Kidney's not going with Duffy for the Italy game, so it's between Fitzgerald, Bowe and Earls. Delighted for McFadden he really deserves it.

I'm pretty happy with that team bar the chancer wearing the 3 jersey- I don't wish for Buckle to play badly but Id like to see him and Hagan get 40 minutes each with Hagan showing he's far and away a better player. It's a meteoric rise for O'Malley, Spence and Nagle in the starting team and both Hagan and Ryan on the bench. Duffy, O'Leary, Buckle, Varley and Toner all have a chance to push their way into the 6 Nations squad.

Agreed, it's excellent to see so many young guys coming through, also looking forward to seeing how Faloon gets on, he's basically the only other proper 7 Ireland has besides Jennings.

Bowe has played well any time he had to go 15 for the Ospreys.
As for the A team I am really excited by this team where future of Irish rugby is on show. Nagle is a star in the making. The 2 lads in centre will probably go on to pair up for Senior team eventually and Domnic Ryan will come on and test opositions metal at some stage

Ryan is probably a bit unfortunate to see Kevin McLaughlin selected ahead of him.

Why is Ulster's 3rd choice 10 on the bench ahead of Connacht's regular starter in the position?

I echo Jockstrap's thoughts that Fergus McFadden deserved his call up to the senior squad. He should have been there already. This season he's come on in leaps and bounds.

Thought this deserved it's own thread :)

I don't think this completely counts out Duffy for the Italy game, if he has a blinder in this there's still a week before the Italy match, so plenty of time to rest up

mr_burns_evil_laugh1.png

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Scotland A is always a pretty awful team. Ireland to win by LOADS of tries and penalties and that

Buckley on the front row though, and Scotland have a habbit of producing good props
Will probably get pumped in that aspect of the game

I think Buckley and O'leary have been picked to see how they react to being dropped from the senior squad. They are both probably being given a chance to prove themselves. Hopefully Buckley will be called up to the senior squad so that Hagan can play against Marler when we play the Saxons. I think Ryan should be disappointed that McLaughlin has been picked over him but maybe they will each start a game and Ryan will start against the Saxons. Congratulations to Nagle, Spence, O'Malley, Hagan and Ryan. They have all been stand out performers this season and they are being rewarded. They all has bright futures ahead of them.

Are you trying to say that Tony Buckley is appallingly bad in the scrum, is an in sufficient international prop and has only made it this far due to his freakish build? Is that what you're trying to say, Olyy?

Press release I saw said Duffy was here because he needed game time and hinted strongly he'd be back with the Seniors after this.

Also, you won't win by lots and lots. As at some point you'll be relying on Niall O'Connor and Ian Whitten to spark your backline and that just ain't gonna happen.

Actually that's not entirely fair. NOC NOC was distributing well against London Welsh and Whitten had a surprising amount of creativity to him against Aironi.

But you certainly won't be kicking many penalties!

Here's the Scottish team

15 Jim Thompson (Edinburgh)

14 Hefin O'Hare (Glasgow Warriors)
13 Ben Cairns (Edinburgh)
12 John Houston (Edinburgh)
11 Lee Jones (Edinburgh)

10 David Blair (Edinburgh)
9 Greig Laidlaw (captain) (Edinburgh)

1 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors)
2 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors)
3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh)
4 Scott MacLeod (Edinburgh)
5 Fraser McKenzie (Edinburgh)
6 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
8 Johnnie Beattie (Glasgow Warriors)
7 Alan MacDonald (Edinburgh)

SUBSTITUTES

16 Fergus Thomson (Glasgow Warriors)
17 Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors)
18 Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors)
19 Roddy Grant (Edinburgh)
20 Colin Gregor (Glasgow Warriors)
21 Peter Murchie (Glasgow Warriors)
22 Colin Shaw (Glasgow Warriors)

I don't think that that is an awful team

Here's the Scottish team

15 Jim Thompson (Edinburgh)

14 Hefin O'Hare (Glasgow Warriors)
13 Ben Cairns (Edinburgh)
12 John Houston (Edinburgh)
11 Lee Jones (Edinburgh)

10 David Blair (Edinburgh)
9 Greig Laidlaw (captain) (Edinburgh)

1 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors)
2 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors)
3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh)
4 Scott MacLeod (Edinburgh)
5 Fraser McKenzie (Edinburgh)
6 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
8 Johnnie Beattie (Glasgow Warriors)
7 Alan MacDonald (Edinburgh)

SUBSTITUTES

16 Fergus Thomson (Glasgow Warriors)
17 Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors)
18 Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors)
19 Roddy Grant (Edinburgh)
20 Colin Gregor (Glasgow Warriors)
21 Peter Murchie (Glasgow Warriors)
22 Colin Shaw (Glasgow Warriors)

I don't think that that is an awful team

Hmm who can spot whats wrong with this?:)

Certainly not a bad 'A' team for Scotland

I'm guessing Beattie is there to get his match fitness up as he's been out for a while?

Latest posts