• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

England can hold their heads high. Pre tournament and pretty much for then last 2 years my biggest worry was Jones was waiting too long to let the young lads get some caps and experience. On paper the likes of Brown, Robshaw, Haskell etc were always going to really be pushing it to feature. England have got a young side that can hopefully pop push on and win some 6N ***les in the next 4 years.

Disappointing that for all his tactical nouse Eddie was shown up today recent defests have shown England can't react and think on the fly.

Out played in all departments well done South Africa.
Death by a thousand cuts.

Well played Bokke. Hard luck England. Well played - especially in the SF.

What's with dropping the runners up medals though? Smacks of bad sportsmanship.

So England post world cup

- Young's goes - I hope he does the decent thing and retires early. Woeful and has been for a long time.
- Daly needs to be playing in a position and stick at it at club level. At the moment he simply isn't a fullback but I won't rule out the possibility of it in the future. He just prove it at club level though - 100%
- Billy v has been looking very average. - Totally agree. Time to develop plan B.
- We need to develop depth at prop - I think we have to some degree. I assume Marler will retire again and Cole May retire for the first time, but Genge and Williams already have a bit of experience. Moon too. We do need to develop a better tighthead than Williams though ... my money's on Will Stuart.
- Someone needs to once and for all sort out the tendency to just completely bottle it when under pressure. We need to work out how to play and win when games become an arm wrestle. - After last week, I thought we'd done that TBH. Today, sadly proved otherwise. I hope we take advantage of the amount of upheaval in the other sides (retirements and new coaches) to pick up a quick Grand Slam to re-boot.

'Going Uncontested' would probably have been England's only chance, but how humiliating to be saved like that.

You know the only people who don't see why England took of their medals are the ones who just don't understand what it is like to be competitive.
It is bad sportsmanship but end of the day it will always be a reminder of how close they came to achieving their dreams,

and maybe in time they will appreciate things but what else do people expect.

They came into it as the favourites and got spanked it's tough.

Saw this

One Twitter user said: "A game well played but the England players immediately taking off their medals is hugely disrespectful."

Another claimed: "England are now acting like spoilt children taking off their medals, so RUDE. Why embarrass themselves and us like that?"

And one shocked fan wrote: "Why didn't England wear their medals? Makes them look like poor losers. Lose and behave graciously and well if you can't win."

It's like please.
These are not kids playing in the county finals this is the biggest game of their lives one that for some they will never play in again and only happens every 4 years.

(also I like the us part lol like that person was involved in the years of training and conditioning the **** the media would sprout).

Sorry for the rant.

'Going Uncontested' would probably have been England's only chance, but how humiliating to be saved like that.

I mean we won the scrum once Marler came on.

May I add, Jones comments about preparing for the All Blacks for "4 years" made me feel that was his objective the last 4 years, to beat the All blacks at the RWC, not to actually win the RWC.

Just something I noticed about the way he spoke about it, I feel like he played his final last week.

It's like please.
These are not kids playing in the county finals this is the biggest game of their lives one that for some they will never play in again and only happens every 4 years.
Yeah I have a bunch of participant medals for running. And they are earned by me for me I'm nowhere near the front and they are about the hard graft I put in to complete or go faster than I have before. Some of those I'm more proud of than other because I know what I did to get them.

The guy who's fastest in our club keeps all his in a chest and is competing for county honours in his age group.

Does he make me feel bad because he doesn't care about his of course not. He's competing at a different level.

These guys only care about one thing and that winning and second isn't good enough and I'm happy they aren't pretending to be disappointed in themselves.

Disrespectful in all England players congratulated the SA team after final whistle.
Its common for losers and that's what we were to remove the medal after leaving podium see nowt wrong in it.
SA would have done same if boot on other foot.

A stat I found interesting is, England have been in more world cup finals than we have (New Zealand). England have been in 4, we have been in 3!!!

That's a stat that reflects badly on both teams. We should've made more finals than England, and they should probably have won more than 1/4.

Brian Moore on his 91 loser's medal.

"I took home my loser's medal and put it in the loft. But even after two years, during which I had not looked at it again, its presence still haunted me and I threw it in the Thames".

Congratulations to South Africa on winning the RWC 2019 you certainly deserved it on the day. It would be more bearable if we had played well and lost, but the big occasion seemed to get to England from the kick off or Sinkler having to go off, such a shame for him. That said you just can't throw speculative passes around against a team like South Africa, especially in your own 22 and expect to get away with it.. On the plus side England had the youngest team in this world cup competition. In four years time in France they will be a much more experienced side and will use this defeat as fuel for future games. I am now looking forward to the Guinness Six Nations matches for England to play at the level that we all know they can.

May I add, Jones comments about preparing for the All Blacks for "4 years" made me feel that was his objective the last 4 years, to beat the All blacks at the RWC, not to actually win the RWC.

Just something I noticed about the way he spoke about it, I feel like he played his final last week.
It's a common trait though. The team that tops the ABs goes on to ultimately lose the final. Aus in 2003, France 99 etc.

To beat the All Blacks in a semi final so comprehensively is a genuinely wonderful accomplishment.

It's a common trait though. The team that tops the ABs goes on to ultimately lose the final. Aus in 2003, France 99 etc.

To beat the All Blacks in a semi final so comprehensively is a genuinely wonderful accomplishment.
I was saying before the Ireland match nobody has beaten the ABs in a knockout match and gone on to win the cup (except in the final). Which is why we needed Ireland to win. Wish I wasnt right.

Latest posts