• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

So England post world cup

- Young's goes
- Daly needs to be playing in a position and stick at it at club level. At the moment he simply isn't a fullback but I won't rule out the possibility of it in the future. He just prove it at club level though
- Billy v has been looking very average.
- We need to develop depth at prop
- Someone needs to once and for all sort out the tendency to just completely bottle it when under pressure. We need to work out how to play and win when games become an arm wrestle.

Agreed on all counts. With regards to props, I was under the impression we had quite a pool of potential... Genge is only 24, Sinckler is... 26? Then you've got potentially Obano and Paul Hill, who I would say are probably the next cabs off the rank (Sorry Williams and Moon!). I guess then you have Will Stuart and Trinder... but I'm just plucking young promising props at this point. Don't know enough about them.

Who replaces Manu is my big question... I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went to France

I don't know.

Manu is in England till at least the Lions tour.
After that it will be depending on how he feels.

From what I gather at Tigers is they are unsure but if Manu feels good and reckons he can last another RWC, he will stay in England more likely than leave.

But that is still 2 years away.

Also 13 is a worry for me we have Marchant and most of our young centres seem to be 13's ATM.

Could see Daly potentially playing 13 for Sarries also.

So how many teams are going to start playing a 6/2 bench split now I wonder?

So how many teams are going to start playing a 6/2 bench split now I wonder?
Any team that wishes to play a forward dominated game have enough depth to play a 6 2 on bench.
Have backs who can play variety of positions at whatever level is at.
Had Pollard been KOd in first 2 mins would Steyn have produced the game Pollard did ?
It's a risk reward strategy for the coaches plans.

Some weird selections didn't really get shown up until the final (would have made sweer FA difference though).

Two 13s on the bench, Manu just isn't a 12. Farrell still being our best 12 that we've seen under EJ is a problem.

Agreed on all counts. With regards to props, I was under the impression we had quite a pool of potential... Genge is only 24, Sinckler is... 26? Then you've got potentially Obano and Paul Hill, who I would say are probably the next cabs off the rank (Sorry Williams and Moon!). I guess then you have Will Stuart and Trinder... but I'm just plucking young promising props at this point. Don't know enough about them.
Dominant scrummaging props is the issue.

Is anyone else worried that we are going to end up with the grindy boring rugby, where it's all about defence?

Cos I can see a way of beating it

Congrats to the TRF staff for the good forums organisation during the whole world cup.
It was nice.

;)

Definitely. Enjoyed the chat and the banter throughout. Bit depressed no more ealry morning WC rugby

I know boks are big guys but our physical edge just didnt seem to be there, linespeed, dominant collisions, even blocking off the channels for the wide passes. Just seemed more flat. At 60 min when we were 6 points down i was still confident we could do it, but often the way a team chasing concedes more than they score.

Im gutted and the better team won.

Is anyone else worried that we are going to end up with the grindy boring rugby, where it's all about defence?

Cos I can see a way of beating it

Hasn't it always been about defence for a while now?
Teams will up their defence then a team like the AB's will trounce a teams defence and people will say maybe we will see more attacking rugby, but then the AB will lose to a teams defence and so on and so on.

It's the circle of rugby.

Tell you what Vermeulen showed up Billy as a one trick pony today.

Sorry, I only converse with sides who have made a world cup final
I feel really sad that the first group of people on this forum after the loss are fellow Welshman shamelessly revelling in someone losing at the final hurdle. I like to think that most of my mates are fairly grounded in reality and we have a strong but friendly rivalry with the English. That's how rugby should be. Being a Welsh supporter with English blood maybe gives me perspective but is like to say congrats to both teams today. England were outplayed in the end but from what I have seen on this forum they have been gracious towards SA in defeat

That will go down in history as something to be remembered Irelands 8th QF.
Em seventh thank you very much, we realised that we were too good for this level in 1999 and 2007.

Our eighth quarter final will be when Harry Byrne and Ronan Kelleher absolutely destroy whatever poor team ends up playing us on our way to James Ryan lifting the trophy in France, can see it now (mind you, I could see us winning this as well which just goes to show that maybe the fact that I dreamed something might not actually mean it's going to happen).

Latest posts