• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Many of the English fans had the same problem. Where they thought the game was won before it happened.
Don't think we did, I think we felt if we played like we did last week we would win. We didn't play like that and lost (whether we'd have won would be an entirely different matter). I'd say most English fans predictions were entirely correct.

A Few other sides might have something to say about that... have to agree on the most physical side point. Nobody can match your forward pack.

Yeah. ABs especially. We beat them 3 times in a row in 2009 then that made them dominate for 10 years lol. Could see the same happen now quite frankly.

I've been enjoying reading this forum all tournament, figured I'd sign up so I could post my congratulations to S.A. Bossed the game from start to finish and ran out as worthy winners. Well played.

As for us, we were bloody awful, but this beats a pool stage knockout by a long way, and the core of this team will still be around in four years. So there is hope. Still gutted mind you.

Well done the Boks. Totally outplayed us on the day, no complaints here. Kolisi lifting Bill was inspirational.

Maybe our final was last week, but we started off in a moronic vein and never recovered. The most depressing thing was being beaten up up front and murdered in the scrums. You won't win without the platform.

We knew what was coming, yet we played Mako who's scrummaging's never better than average and probably isn't properly match fit anyway, Lawes who's beanpole not giant redwood and Itoje. For all Itoje was brilliant last week, today just highlighted that if he's not absolutely on it he won't influence against bigger guys. For Curryhill to work against the best it really needs a powerhouse front 5 ahead of it. Binny's looking increasingly like a busted flush.

Daly got exposed. It was always coming, shame it was today.

So what of Jones? We reached the final, which exceeded my expectations. The ABs game was stellar, today tarnished that somewhat. I won't cry if he stays and changes things. I won't cry if he walks away either.

The majority of this squad will be around in 4 years and there's some good talent coming through. We need to learn the lessons and kick on. Orcs on steroids is never a bad starting point.

Don't think we did, I think we felt if we played like we did last week we would win. We didn't play like that and lost (whether we'd have won would be an entirely different matter). I'd say most English fans predictions were entirely correct.

Same story as us AB fans. Put in an epic performance against Ireland, didn't show up against you lot and got whacked. I guess it shows that the top of rugby is pretty close. A number of sides can all beat each other, and games come down to who shows up the best on the day.

Same story as us AB fans. Put in an epic performance against Ireland, didn't show up against you lot and got whacked. I guess it shows that the top of rugby is pretty close. A number of sides can all beat each other, and games come down to who shows up the best on the day.
Aye it's good for rugby, I'd say you guys (despite the score) played better against us than we did against SA. The second half felt more like SA being dominant and bossing us around but the first felt like we letting them in the game.

I think sometimes English "banter" comes across as being serious.
Like a few posters myself included do like to milk the arrogant thing pre games, but a lot of that is just for **** and giggles.

On the game the subs made no sense.
Wilson for Underhill our most physical forward.
Slade for Ford prob our best attacking half back
JJ for May our best back 3 who kept Kolbe quiet so much.

Should've been really
JJ for Ford
Slade for Daly
Wilson for Vunipola

I've been enjoying reading this forum all tournament, figured I'd sign up so I could post my congratulations to S.A. Bossed the game from start to finish and ran out as worthy winners. Well played.

As for us, we were bloody awful, but this beats a pool stage knockout by a long way, and the core of this team will still be around in four years. So there is hope. Still gutted mind you.

Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see more rugby fans on this platform.

Aye it's good for rugby, I'd say you guys (despite the score) played better against us than we did against SA. The second half felt more like SA being dominant and bossing us around but the first felt like we letting them in the game.

Very generous to us! The score was closer I guess is about as kind as I can be the ABs. We got belted up front which is pretty similar to you guys today. Hard to do much when you're going backwards.

So England post world cup

- Young's goes
- Daly needs to be playing in a position and stick at it at club level. At the moment he simply isn't a fullback but I won't rule out the possibility of it in the future. He just prove it at club level though
- Billy v has been looking very average.
- We need to develop depth at prop
- Someone needs to once and for all sort out the tendency to just completely bottle it when under pressure. We need to work out how to play and win when games become an arm wrestle.

Congratulations to the Boks and their fans. I'm gutted about the way the final went but I've calmed down enough to be reasonable about it.

We were taught a lesson in the scrums until Marler came on and evened things up, but by then the damage was done.

Enjoy your win and hopefully we can take it next time.

Was hoping to change my avatar to cheerful EJ, but oh well. Nicely done, Rassie.

About the only person who will be happier than South Africans will be the BBC correspondent Tom Fordyce. He'll be rolling out all the self loathing possible for whatever gibberish he decides to write this week.

I would rather see us give Big Joe a full run now.
11. May
14. Cokanisiga
15. Watson

The issue will be the midfield still.

I also think Willis is better than Curry or Underhill at 6.
Yeah, will be interested to watch Willis.

Really want to see Dombrandt fed in at 8 as well. He just seems to have a rugby brain.

England can hold their heads high. Pre tournament and pretty much for then last 2 years my biggest worry was Jones was waiting too long to let the young lads get some caps and experience. On paper the likes of Brown, Robshaw, Haskell etc were always going to really be pushing it to feature. England have got a young side that can hopefully pop push on and win some 6N ***les in the next 4 years.

Disappointing that for all his tactical nouse Eddie was shown up today recent defests have shown England can't react and think on the fly.

Out played in all departments well done South Africa.

TBF to Eddie he seemed to have wanted to select some of the young lads that played a lot sooner.
Underhill especially but his injuries seem to always happen at a bad time.

and TBF no team can react on the fly to a performance like that from SA, look at NZ v Eng.
When a team blitz you generally you have to either match it or ride it.

You can't change your gameplan on the fly in a world cup final the biggest game of your life outside playing for Leicester Tigers at welford road.

On the positive side, this team is relatively young. It takes 6 years to build a World Cup winning side. This could be the start and come 4 years time the likes of Sincks, Underhill! Curry, Maro, Ford, Farrell, Watson etc will be much better for the experience. Hurts now, but there has to be a sliver lining in this defeat.

probably the end of the road for the likes of Dan Cole, Youngs (how old is he?) to make another World Cup though.

Congrats to SA!!!! They played awesome, especially in the 2nd half, how good were their two tires!!! Kolbe player of the year for me, the man is a wee magician.

Before the game I knew SA had the tools to deal with England better than us. Their front row and back row can match England. This game was just more evidence for me about how much we have regressed in the forwards under Steve Hansen in the last 4 years.

SA were able to stop England getting on the front foot ball, which we couldn't do last weekend and from there SA were able to contain England and force mistakes. Pollard just kept that board ticking and SA go points at the right time, the front row was immense in the first half.

England's backs all had a bad game, mistakes from Farrell, Ford and in particularly Daly.

SA played how I expected us to play vs England last week, but we just didn't turn up in the forwards. This result has actually made more even more disappointed in our performance and Hansen's coaching last week.

But enough of that - Congrats to SA, much deserved winners!!! What a great final they played!!! Also England have a great young squad, they're going to be an absolute force for years to come.

Latest posts