• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Argentina (18/08/2012)

No bonus point for South Africa be disappointed with that.... Also could have been closer if Argentina kicked straight.

Tipping a much closer game next week.

Pienaar to start at 9 and Hougaard on 11, he's an amazing wing.

Pity about the bonus point try.

Pienaar to start at 9 and Hougaard on 11, he's an amazing wing.

Pity about the bonus point try.

Who would you drop on the wing? I thought de Villiers was poor in attack. Blew a few overlaps running laterally.
Dare I request that Lambie gets some gametime next week?

Pumas looked all right in general I think. The boks are the better team, so no surprise in the result. They'll be happy to have been able to gain metres in attack, and not to have conceded a BP, while they'll be disappointed not to have scored a try. From the players, JMFL was the standout, with Albacete and Roncero being their usual selfs as well. Carizza was good enough. Leonardi was a pleasant surprise. Orlandi showed he's a valid option to start at TH, while Figallo and Ayerza were quite average. Farias was very bad, and I didn't think Galindo had done bad enough to have been replaced before Farias. He did decently on the tight.

In the backs, Camacho looked good I think, followed by Fernandez and JMH. The rest get a pass, except for Amorosino, whose mistakes were just too costly.

Good starting match for us, I think Pumas has improved in couple of things considering last matches, line out is one of them. But we cannot control indiscipline, if my count does't fail, there were almost 8 penalties in first 25 minutes. At this level you cannot win if you make that number of penalties, specially with Morne Steyn kicking. JMH got to work a lot to get a better goal kicking, second half start was disapointing with those 9 points gifted, I mean easy positions to convert, my gradma could get those point, god! I was expecting a little bit more in attack, but was somthing that we almost did't have a situation for. Camacho shown why he was elected over Imhoff, great defense.
Special mention for Steve Walsh. To me, he keep his view over Pumas to much. I didn't like his perfomance.
I believe Mendoza will host a completely diffrent match.

Agreed Draggs, but he's the captain so we probably won't see him get dropped :/ I'd have Hougaard replace Habana but if Meyer decides to play him on wing it'll probably be at the expense of Mvovo.

Happy with the win! Bismarck out for the season according to HM after they got the results back, so our 3rd and 4th best hooker and another hooker who is uncapped will probably travel to Argentina.

Strauss had a crappy game IMO, our scrum missed Bismarck's power. Strauss had some poor throws in the lineouts. And had a few runs but got turned over everytime just like JDV.

Etzebeth, Alberts, Morne Steyn and Kirchner all had good games. Bekker also had a good game for his first time back in a bok jersey.

Biggest disappointment was Keegan Daniel, didn't turn over any ball, got outmuscled and was just not up to scratch.

Pity we didn't get a 4-try bonus point win, but our Defence was immense and to win so convincingly with so many injuries must be very pleasing to the coaching team.

I don't expect us to win the tournament but we'll sure be physical and competitive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Meh. Not the most exciting game of rugby, but there were a few good moments. Losing du Plessis early was a blow for the Boks, and now I see that he has been ruled out for the rest of the season. Struass played very well (and I am quite a fan of his), but he is not du Plessis. Bekker dominated the lineouts, and I thought both Alberts and Coetzee had strong matches, but Daniel was very quiet. Hougaard actually made a couple of good box-kicks this week, but still looked better when shifted to the wing. Probably the three most criticized Boks backs - Morne Steyn, Habana and Kirchner - all had pretty good games in my opinion, it was good (from the Boks perspective) to see Steyn looks to have recovered his goal-kicking form...

Argentina did some good things, but gave away too many penalties, and need to kick their goals to be competitive at this level. In general I thought Roncero and the locks were pretty solid, and (as has been mentioned) Fernandez Lobbe was everywhere. Camacho was easily the most dangerous Argentine back for me, and I though Fernandez looked solid at 12.

Argentina need somebody in the backs to be a reliable option to take the ball into contact when not much is on.

They played two fly halves in the centres, and Bosch in particular was getting smashed by the Springbok defence when he tried to take the ball into contact.

The Pumas looked a bit clueless with the ball, they generally went nowhere for about 5 phases and then just passed to Hernández to do an up and under.

Camacho shown why he was elected over Imhoff, great defense.

Camacho actually had a good work rate, and outplayed Agulla who did little.

But still Imhoff should have been playing. I didn't see a particular incident where I thought he couldn't defend, even though he does not have as good a technique as Camacho, Imhoff simply has more pace/skill/agility/athleticism than any other Argentine winger. Camacho just wriggles a few metres here and there.

To be honest, I think there is room for both Camacho and Imhoff in the side. With Agulla playing at 13. Unfortunately Phelan wasn't creative enough to experiment when he had the chance in the warm ups so it is probably not the best idea to play right now.

Also, although Camacho did do his fair share of work today. The Pumas may need the kicking boots of Martín Bustos Moyano to get close in these matches. However going by Phelan's selection history I doubt there will be too many changes unless he is forced to make them. So the kicking will likely remain an issue.

Argentina played well - and quite prettily, I thought. I liked their attack.
Their defense needs some work though, they missed a lot of tackles.

The beast of Burden has been called up, better than Deon Fourie. I'd rather Burden on the bench over Liebenberg, but I think that is unlikely.
De Villiers simply must free up space for his wings or he will kill their attack. Insert WP joke here... Anyway, it will come down to sticking with a captain who could cost you a match, or biting the bullet to do what is best.
Daniel simply isn't an 8. He wasn't great, but the time he has had with the Springboks is far less than rival opensides, such as Deon Stegmann. Keep him in the 22 and give him some time near the end.

I'd make a a back division of: Pienaar, Lambie, Mvovo, Steyn, de Jongh (sigh...), Hougaard, Ludik if I hade my way. Willie le Roux on the bench, of course.

Last edited:
I thought Argentina's biggest problem was that they were just passing it through the hands, quite predictivly. They'd have three hit ups, get driven back and then put up a bomb, which South Africa are pretty good at defusing. I think if they played with a bit more creativity and depth, they'd have looked quite dangerous. Like I said, I rate Camacho and I genuinely thought he had a good game. I'd be happy to see him and Imhoff on the wings, with Agulla at centre.

Not the most exciting game to be honest. Hope Argentina can improve quite a bit in the next few weeks, as a lot of their game did seem damage limitation rather than a convincing effort to score.

Agulla looked quite limited at centre when he played there for Leicester, so i'm not sure how he'd do at international level against the Sanzar sides.

How good is Burden? He looks great on highlight reels, but maybe his game lacks some aspects?

nah come on let's be honest, Argentina didn't impress at all !
It's nice to see (not being sarcastic) so many ppl on here trying to convince themselves Arg was good, but they couldn't even play their game. On one hand SA was quite suffocating on D, on the other this just was a rusty start to the tournament...

Do you have low standards for the attack?

They barely made any metres in attack, and didn't threaten the Springbok line at all.

According to the stats they didn't make a single line break.

http://media.foxsports.com.au/match...nship/detailed-stats.html?matchid=RTN20120102

Perhaps so, but South Africa only made TWO line breaks themselves

[TABLE="width: 465, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR="class: liveTblRowWht"]
[TD="class: liveTblTextBlk, colspan: 3"]South Africa.......................................Argentina

KICK PASS RUN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: liveTblRowGry"]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]39[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Kicks from hand[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]37[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: liveTblRowWht"]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]103[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Passes[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]111[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]96[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Runs[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]78[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]323[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Metres run with ball[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]236[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]
spacer.gif
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblTextBlk, colspan: 3"]ATTACK[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]58%[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Possession[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]42%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]63%[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Territory[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]37%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]2
[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Clean breaks[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]9[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Defenders beaten[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]4[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Offloads[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"] 77 from 85 (90.6%) [/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Rucks won[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"] 64 from 65 (98.5%)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"] 11 from 12 (91.7%) [/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Mauls won[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"] 8 from 9 (88.9%)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]11[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Turnovers conceded[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]
spacer.gif
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblTextBlk, colspan: 3"]DEFENSE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]87/8[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Tackles made/missed[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]100/9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]91.6%[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblTextGrn"]Tackling success rate[/TD]
[TD="class: liveTblColCtr"]91.7%
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

These stats don't tell me a story of one side totally dominating the other.

Yes, Argentina didn't impressed, but played better than I expected.
And the score difference wasn't soo big.

Latest posts