• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Argentina (18/08/2012)

Being a bit pedantic but I'm fairly certain they never won in Ireland. Of course they've beaten us but not at home I think.

my bad big ginger, you're right !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union_matches_between_Argentina_and_Ireland

They came very close more than once, but never actually won any...just as Ireland's never won there...

My point of course was that they could really threaten any team and are one of the top10 teams maybe ever in rugby right now...their history isn't rich, but their rugby culture is. Their team is one of the oldest in the world (mid-late 19th century), even though they didn't really break through until much, much later.

They ARE after all considered a tier 1 team by the IRB.

They ARE after all considered a tier 1 team by the IRB.

Argentina's playing record against Tier 1 opposition; home, neutral and away, in the Professional era (i.e since the beginning of 1996)

Played 99 Won 37 - 37.4%

Its better than Scotland's...

Played 138 Won 38 - 27.5%

and Italy's

Played 126 Won 16 - 12.7%

and its even marginally better than Wales'

Played 158 Won 59 - 37.3%

^ yeah and France has some sort of mental block with them.
I believe they got us 8 of 12 times since the start of the new millenium, as crazy as it sounds...

Srsly, RESPECT to Argentina, they rule in soccer as we all know, in basketball AND they've got a real threat of a team in rugby...very impressive ! I couldn't believe their result in the 2007 RWC...I think that was officially their "arrival".

Yes, I've always seen Argentina as a very good sporting nation. Soccer just isn't cricket though.

Yes, I've always seen Argentina as a very good sporting nation. Soccer just isn't cricket though.

and vice versa... I for one am also an avid Cricket and Soccer fan, behind Rugby of course and their soccer stars are some of the best in the world...

But all of you are going off topic...

Stick to the rugby and South Africa vs Argentina.

I can understand playing soccer but for the life of me I don't understand how you can watch it every week.. apart from the drama of penalty shoot-outs, I like that.

and vice versa... I for one am also an avid Cricket and Soccer fan, behind Rugby of course and their soccer stars are some of the best in the world...

But all of you are going off topic...

Stick to the rugby and South Africa vs Argentina.

My apologies TRF_heineken.

I really don't know what to take out of this match. There were glimpses of promise from both sides and I love the fact that we defended like trojans. Next week will be a sterner test and only the week after that will we have an idea of where we are really at. I'd like to believe that we'd be able to pick up a win in Aus and a losing bonus point in NZ and then take our home games.

My apologies TRF_heineken.

I really don't know what to take out of this match. There were glimpses of promise from both sides and I love the fact that we defended like trojans. Next week will be a sterner test and only the week after that will we have an idea of where we are really at. I'd like to believe that we'd be able to pick up a win in Aus and a losing bonus point in NZ and then take our home games.

I'd like to look at the positives out of the game and what has been happening around the camp on SS Blitz.

The last time we played in Mendoza, Habana and Jean De Villiers had to pull an Argie out of a ditch...

There has been a lot of speculation surrounding Ruan Pienaar and starting at 9 this weekend. Interestingly enough, Ruan Pienaar and Morne Steyn were the half-back pair when they were U21 bokkies and the last time both of them were in Argentina. Habana has a bit of an ankle ****le, so I guess Hougaard will move to wing which means probably Jano Vermaak will be on the Bench... either way, we will then play a quicker game and more with the backs...

hehe i can still remember the one game of ARG vs SA in ARG. One of the SA players pushed an ARG player over the railings after the ball was kicked out during play... i can't remember the SA player, think it might be werner greef :? anycase it turned out the drop was 10m high or something, so the SA player cought the ARG player immediately agter pushing him over and held on to him... Can anyone remember? or have a vid clip? think it might have been in 2007 :? or something...

hehe i can still remember the one game of ARG vs SA in ARG. One of the SA players pushed an ARG player over the railings after the ball was kicked out during play... i can't remember the SA player, think it might be werner greef :? anycase it turned out the drop was 10m high or something, so the SA player cought the ARG player immediately agter pushing him over and held on to him... Can anyone remember? or have a vid clip? think it might have been in 2007 :? or something...

You mean this one:

Not Werner Greeff at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time we played in Mendoza, Habana and Jean De Villiers had to pull an Argie out of a ditch...

That games was actually played in Velez Sarsfield stadium in Buenos Aires, not in Mendoza. For a long time here in Argentina soccer stadiums were constructed with a pretty deep and wide ditch between the grades and the pitch because fans used to get into the field if they don't like the match score, or even just for taking a souvenir of their team players, like jerseys or any part of the uniform... That passional are fans here, so that being a problem, ditches all around the pitch we get...
Anyways, Lucas Borges almost get an awfull neck injury if de Villiers didn't realize the ditch was there!

Latest posts