• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Argentina (18/08/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

Newlands, Cape Town (18-08-2012, 16:00 GMT)

South Africa.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Argentina.png

Referee: Steve Walsh
30px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png

Assistants: Jérôme Garcès
30px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
& John Lacey
30px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png

Television match official: Johan Meuwesen
30px-Flag_of_South_Africa.png

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Zane Kirchner [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] Lucas González Amorosino [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Lwazi Mvovo [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] Gonzalo Camacho [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jean de Villiers © [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] Marcelo Bosch [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Francois Steyn [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] Santiago Fernández [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Bryan Habana [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] Horacio Agulla [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Morne Steyn [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] Juan Martín Hernández [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Francois Hougaard [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] Nicolás Vergallo [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Keegan Daniel [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe © [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Willem Alberts [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] Ãlvaro Galindo [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Marcell Coetzee [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] Julio Farías Cabello [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Andries Bekker [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] Patricio Albacete [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Eben Etzebeth [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] Manuel Carizza [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jannie du Plessis [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] Juan Figallo [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Bismarck du Plessis [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] Eusebio Guiñazú [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Tendai 'Beast' Mtawarira [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] Rodrigo Roncero [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Adriaan Strauss [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] Bruno Postiglioni [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Patric Cilliers [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] Marcos Ayerza [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Flip van der Merwe [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] Juan Pablo Orlandi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jacques Potgieter [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] Tomás Leonardi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Ruan Pienaar [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] Leonardo Senatore [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Patrick Lambie [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] Martín Landajo [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] JJ Engelbrecht [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] Martín Rodríguez [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

When South Africa and Argentina meet, it will be the 14th​ match between the two, the 6th to be played in South Africa and the first time they meet at Newlands. Argentina never managed to beat South Africa and the only time they came close on the road was in 2003. In June of that year the Pumas traveled to Port Elizabeth where they lost by a single point at Boet Erasmus Stadium. With just 2 minutes remaining, the Pumas were leading by 12 points and they were sure to go home with a win. Brent Russell scored a try and after Louis Koen's conversion the Springboks got a penalty 3 minutes after the siren sounded, to make it a 26-25 win for the Springboks.

The last time these teams played, it was at Ellis Park in Johannesburg in 2008. In a match where Argentina started off very good they took a 9-0 lead which they held until the 30th​ minute before the Springboks rampaged through the defense. The half-time lead for the Green and Gold brigade was 14-9 and in the second half they continued with another 7 tries, ending the match with a 63-9 win.

Argentina will be happy to have Juan Martín Hernández back. The fly-half has been struggling with injuries for years and wants to make a good impression on his return to South Africa, where he played for the Sharks in 2009. On attack they are hoping Juan Imhoff will bring his A-game. He is another player who has good memories of playing in South Africa as he was the top try-scorer in the 2011 Vodacom Cup where he played with the Pampas XV.

James Small is the top try-scorer against the Pumas for South Africa with 4. Fourie du Preez has 3 while several players managed to score 2 tries against the Pumas in previous years. Besides Bryan Habana, who scored 2 in the Rugby World Cup semi final in 2007, Gaffie du Toit, JP Pietersen, Joe van Niekerk, Adi Jacobs, Stefan Terblanche and Ruben Kruger are among those who scored twice against the Pumas in their career.

Last 10 meetings:

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] 9th​ Aug 2008: [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] 63-9 [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] at Ellis Park, Johannesburg [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 14th​ Oct 2007: [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] 37-13 [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] at Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France (RWC) [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 5th​ Nov 2005: [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] 23-34 [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] at Estadio José Amalfitani, Buenos Aires [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 4th​ Dec 2004: [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] 7-39 [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] at Estadio José Amalfitani, Buenos Aires [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 28th​ Jun 2003: [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] 26-25 [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] at Boet Erasmus Stadium, Port Elizabeth [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 29th​ Jun 2002: [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] 49-29 [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] at Pam Brink Stadium, Springs [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 12th​ Nov 2000: [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] 33-37 [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] at Estadio Antonio Vespucio, Buenos Aires [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 16th​ Nov 1996: [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] 21-44 [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] at Estadio Ricardo Etcheverry, Buenos Aires [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 9th​ Nov 1996: [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] 15-46 [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] at Estadio Ricardo Etcheverry, Buenos Aires [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 15th​ Oct 1994: [/TD][TD] South Africa [/TD][TD] 46-26 [/TD][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] at Ellis Park, Johannesburg [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

When South Africa and Argentina meet, it will be the 14th​ match between the two, the 6th to be played in South Africa and the first time they meet at Newlands. Argentina never managed to beat South Africa and the only time they came close on the road was in 2003. In June of that year the Pumas traveled to Port Elizabeth where they lost by a single point at Boet Erasmus Stadium. With just 2 minutes remaining, the Pumas were leading by 12 points and they were sure to go home with a win. Brent Russell scored a try and after Louis Koen's conversion the Springboks got a penalty 3 minutes after the siren sounded, to make it a 26-25 win for the Springboks.

The 2000 & 2005 score lines would beg to differ.

I really hope that Argentina have a go at South Africa out wide. They should be well able to compete with the Springboks up front, but I reckon they have the capability to show far more out wide than the South Africa will with Steyn at 10 and Meyer in charge.

That said, I fully expect SA to win. Argentina need to hope that Steyn has an off day and that they can get the same kind of inspiration Italy had in their first game in the 6 nations.

Am I the only one who thinks that TRC missed a trick by not having Argentina's first game in the competition at home? The buzz would have been incredible and they would have been much more likely to get a win, which would have been great for the tournament.

Nah, in 2000 and 2005 they didn't play on the road but back home in Argentina.

Ah, I didn't see the 'on the road' bit. Fair enough.

Really hope the Argentinians out it up to the springboks, would be great to see them do well in their debut season in the championship. This type fo competition can only help them in the long run anyways, finally they have regular world class competition to play against.

The Springbok team will be announced on Wednesday like they did with the England tests.

On all the SA sport newspapers they tip Mvovo as the hot favourite to start vs. the Pumas. And to me, this gives me an idea that the Boks will be trying more expansive rugby than they did vs England.

The Boks also got good news over the weekend with Etzebeth declared fit to play.

Can't wait for this weekend to start! Test Rugby is back Marafackas!!

If we have anywhere near the starting XV that I expect I can't see Argentina in this game closer than 10 points.

What I am hoping for ITO a starting XV:

1 Mtawarira
2 Du Plessis
3 Du Plessis
4 Etzebeth
5 Kruger
6 Daniel
7 Alberts
8 Coetzee
9 Pienaar (or Hougaard if Lambie gets the 10 jersey by some miracle and Hougaard can keep up the tempo)
10 Steyn (though I'd want Lambie I guess that won't happen this soon, hopefully EoY)
11 Mvovo
12 Frans Steyn
13 JdV (c)
14 Habana (with Pietersen injured)
15 Lambie (I'd prefer Ludik or a fit Taute but they aren't in the squad)

Most likely team for the Boks based on news articles and what I've seen on SS Blitz:

1. Beast
2. Bismarck
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Etzebeth
5. Juandre Kruger
6. Marcell Coetzee
7. Willem Alberts
8. Pierre Spies
9. Francois Hougaard
10. Morne Steyn
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Frans Steyn
13. Jean De Villiers
14. Bryan Habana
15. Zane Kirchner

16. Adriaan Strauss / Chilliboy Ralepelle
17. Pat Cilliers
18. Andries Bekker
19. Keegan Daniel
20. Ruan Pienaar
21. Pat Lambie
22. JDJ

I reckon the Puma's will provide a challenge for SA in this years championship. South Africa were somewhat poor in the test series with England with the major strength being their pack which I believe the Pumas can match. Should Meyer select Steyn at 10 I doubt we'll see much in terms of back play so I'd expect a very physical match from both sides. Despite this at home I reckon South Africa can't lose.

I think this is a game Arg will look to target with SA having a new coach, many new players and many injuries. Still think we should win this one and the return match both though.

I dont know why sanzar thought it would be a good idea to make the pumas play their maiden game away from home. We should welcome the pumas and let them play their first test at home. Anyway, I dont think the pumas will win a game away from home. I think they might be able to beat the boks or the wallabies at home. They could push the abs too.

Honestly, I think we have no chances... maybe at home. Anyway, I'll vote for Argentina as an irrational fan.

P.d: There was a game where the pumas, by the name of Southamerica XV beat SA in 1982, I don't want neither to be polemic nor make ot but it is an interesting story.

Ah, the match where Hugo Porta scored a full-house. Ruan Pienaar's father, Gysie Pienaar was also part of the Springbok team that day. Doesn't count though, since it was not Argentina playing but must have been a phenomenal day for the players.

I don't think Pumas have much of a chance. Even in the Argentinean website scrum.com.ar a poll says that almost half the people think they will lose by more than 10 points. I think it's a good thing that they keep their expectations realistic, if not the worst thing that could happen is that bad results lead to a major national disappointment in the Pumas and rugby in general.

P.d: There was a game where the pumas, by the name of Southamerica XV beat SA in 1982, I don't want neither to be polemic nor make ot but it is an interesting story.
There have been a few heated arguments in this forum regarding the validity of that match. Saffers say it doesn't count, argies say it does, the rest of the world is divided. I don't think it's worth restarting the argument, but I agree that mentioning it is probably relevant to the thread.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the whole reason the Puma's were included in the rugby championship was the development of their rugby. I'm by no means underestimating them and there's a major chance they could pull off the odd upset this competition, but I don't think they will consider it a disaster if they don't, this is all about development over the long term not necessarily getting results right now.

Well, earlier results this year are not really important when predicting. Argentina didn't use the elite squad when playing most matches and the elite players only got released after the June Tour. One of them, Horacio Agulla, even decided not to extend his contract with Leicester because they were not happy with him missing 2 months of club rugby for the Rugby Championship. He now signed with Bath, but is available. Only 7 players in the squad are contracted by a local team, the other 26 play in Europe. 3 in the Premiership, 1 in the Pro12, the other 23 play in the TOP 14.

Montpellier will be missing 6 players, Racing Metro 4 and Biarritz miss 2 players while the Rugby Championship is played. Those teams are the reason we will see such a strong Pumas side.

ARGENTINA TEAM: Roncero, Guiñazu, Figallo, Carizza, Albacete, Carbello, Galindo, Lobbe (c); Vergallo, Hernandez, Agulla, Fernandez, Bosch, Camacho, Amorisino
Bench- Postiglioni, Ayerza, Orlandi, Leonardi, Senatore, Landajo, Rodriguez

Looks like quite a safe selection to me- I would've gambled a bit more and definitely put Imhoff in on the wing, either straight in for Camacho, or moved Agulla into 13. They're unlikely to beat the Boks with this side, I'd say, but should push them close. I would've taken a few more risks and tried to go all-out to defeat them, not thinking about damage limitation.

I am just glad to see them back in competitive territory, SA and Argentina have been great rugby friends for decades.

Regarding that historical match - Hugo Porta beat the Boks on his own, there is no debate

Edit: I had put the side here, but it had been posted already.

They're going with a 5/2 split on the bench, with an entire front row, as they did most of the games in the last world cups.

Last edited:

Latest posts