• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: New Zealand - Argentina (08/09/2012)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
TRC.png

Westpac Stadium, Wellington (25-08-2012, 07:35 GMT)

New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Argentina.png

Referee: R Poite
Assistants: G Clancy
30px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
& J Leckie
Television match official: V Munro
30px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Really hoping I can get tickets for this one, see what I can afford! Certainly not a match I wanna miss live.

Argentina announced a group of 28 players for their Australasian tour. Hernández, Creevy and Leguizamón are back, while Galindo is ruled out with injury. Carballo is the surprise. Tighthead prop Maximiliano Bustos will be travelling as well and Nicolás Sánchez stays in the squad despite Hernández' return.

Props: Rodrigo Roncero, Juan Figallo, Maximiliano Bustos, Marcos Ayerza, Juan Pablo Orlandi
Hookers: Eusebio Guiñazú, Agustín Creevy
Locks: Patricio Albacete, Manuel Carizza, Tomás Vallejos
Backrowers: Juan Manuel Leguizamón, Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe, Julio Farías Cabello, Tomás Leonardi
Scrum-halves: Nicolás Vergallo, Martín Landajo
Fly-halves: Juan Martín Hernández, Nicolás Sánchez
Centres: Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga, Marcelo Bosch, Santiago Fernández, Rafael Carballo
Outside backs: Gonzalo Camacho, Martín Bustos Moyano, Juan Imhoff, Horacio Agulla, Lucas González Amorosino

They're likely to go for a 5/2 split again, with either Orlandi or Bustos missing out on the front row (maybe for Australia they won't have a full front row on the bench), and probably Vallejos among the loose five. Nicolás Sánchez is likely to go only as injury cover for JMH. It would be surprising to see Carballo in the 22, and I think unfortunately two of those outside backs will miss out as well.

I think they should stick with Sanchez, they actually looked pretty good with ball in hand.

Though I'm sure there would be a temptation to experiment, I don't expect the AB's to make many changes to their side. The only changes I would expect from the last match would be Woodcock and Conrad Smith returning from injury and slotting straight into the starting lineup in place of SBW (with Nonu back to 12), and Crockett. The other change we may see is Retallick replacing Romano at lock, though I think it is really a 50:50 call in this position.

While it would be nice to see the likes of Cane, Cruden, Savea, and Ben Smith given a shot in the starting lineup I don't think we will see them given that chance until the end-of-year tour.

Though I'm sure there would be a temptation to experiment, I don't expect the AB's to make many changes to their side. The only changes I would expect from the last match would be Woodcock and Conrad Smith returning from injury and slotting straight into the starting lineup in place of SBW (with Nonu back to 12), and Crockett. The other change we may see is Retallick replacing Romano at lock, though I think it is really a 50:50 call in this position.

While it would be nice to see the likes of Cane, Cruden, Savea, and Ben Smith given a shot in the starting lineup I don't think we will see them given that chance until the end-of-year tour.
I think it would be unfair for Cane and Savea to not at least start 1 game this RC. As much as I like the more consistent selections, it would also be just as bad as the rotation policy if we were to have the other extreme.

Graham Henry had it about right towards the end of his AB tenure with the ABs (2010/2011) - mixing in consistent 'core' selections whilst still having room to tinker a little bit (i.e. giving NEEDED VALUABLE gametime/experience to young players) with the side.

In regards to Cruden and Smith, while they may not get starts, I'd like them to be able to play around 25-30 mins depending on the games.

I think Ben Smith has looked better than Gear in this series.

don't want to attack Hansen about his selection because for the most part it works. But at the same time we have too many good players in NZ for them to not get a run. For half the AB's starting 15 there are options that are just as good hovering around the squad

Guys like Cane (7) Vito (8,6) Cruden (10), Ben Smith (11-15), Faumuina, Savea even Ellison.

I like seeing the AB's as a 30man squad not a 15man team.

At the same time, Hansen can not afford any slip ups. This Championship is critical - he needs to get his time as coach off to the best possible start.

The worst bit for Cruden is he never gets to play with the guy who suits him best, Aaron Smith. He has to go on with slow motion Weepu who cuts down his time and space. It must be frustrating watching DC get the quickest ball imaginable then having to go on and wait around for Weepu to plod to a ruck, look around, pick it up take a few steps then pass it.

Pumas starting line up:

1-Rodrigo Roncero (51 games)
2-Eusebio Guiñazú (20 games)
3-Juan Figallo (11 games)
4-Manuel Carizza (25 games)
5-Patricio Albacete (48 games)
6-Julio Farías Cabello (12 games)
7-Juan Manuel Leguizamón (39 games)
8-Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (captain) (45 games)
9-Nicolás Vergallo (26 partidos)
10-Juan Martín Hernández (33 games )
11-Horacio Agulla (36 games )
12-Santiago Fernández (20 games)
13-Marcelo Bosch (12 games)
14-Gonzalo Camacho (13 games)
15-Martín Rodríguez (17 games)

Coach: Santiago Phelan.

Graham Henry

377273_10151066454237695_797822243_n.jpg

The Pumas will be happy to have Leguizamón and Hernández back. A pretty experinced looking lineup - it will be interesting to see the makeup of the bench.

Amused and embarrassed at the same time I see. Also thanks for the vbookie, can't believe I passed on 66 to 1 but there it is.

Amused and embarrassed at the same time I see. Also thanks for the vbookie, can't believe I passed on 66 to 1 but there it is.
I think both this vbookie and the one for Aus vs. SA are quite generous...

A bit off topic: the site allblacks.com used some kind of automatic translator for the name of the Pumas, getting some pretty ridiculous stuff:
1585671w620.jpg
Club Atlético San Isidro (CASI) got transtaled as "almost", and Julio Farías Cabello was translated as Julio Hair Farias...

Last edited:
this one is either going to crush the Pumas' spirit, and strip them of the confidence they'd built up to this point almost getting the Boks at home...or it'll be a definitive booster for the end of the tournament.
It's possible they'd play a great game and maintain the AB's to just a try or two and manage to get one themselves...with one reaaaaally well run play.

buuuuuuut I'm still bettin big money on the Blacks though ! :D I'm a spineless coward.

a spineless realist. :huh:.......yeah, that's about right.

I think it would be unfair for Cane and Savea to not at least start 1 game this RC. As much as I like the more consistent selections, it would also be just as bad as the rotation policy if we were to have the other extreme.

Graham Henry had it about right towards the end of his AB tenure with the ABs (2010/2011) - mixing in consistent 'core' selections whilst still having room to tinker a little bit (i.e. giving NEEDED VALUABLE gametime/experience to young players) with the side.

In regards to Cruden and Smith, while they may not get starts, I'd like them to be able to play around 25-30 mins depending on the games.

when teh AB win this game and SA lose to Aus,TRC is pretty much over and SH might rest a few players and play the reserves mentioned...

For our Argentine members who may not have had access to this, Frankie Deges is interviewed on the subject of Argentina Rugby by Tony Johnson of "ReUnion"

I loved Deges' wisecrack at the end about returning to Tri-Nations...

[video=dailymotion;xtb0bp]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtb0bp_tony-johnson-interview-with-frankie-deges_school[/video]

Deges is here to cover the upcoming match for the Argentine media

Latest posts