• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Paris Olympics 2024

Just tried to watch some basketball, god it's boring, stop, start
3x3 is even worse to watch.

you had a game with 5 a side, a tiny court, and scores above 100 points, and decide you need a cut-down version...

I wonder how much things like youtube helped to achieve this. You have tutorials for pretty much anything. You can 'learn' things in 5 minutes that back in the day took you years through trial an error.
rodney Mullen does lectures and he has talked about this. Coming up with new "anything" is really hard and quite often it happens by accident. Sometimes there is an idea in your head and you chase it but it is still just an idea. But when you can see something you know that it is possible and therefore woth trying. You can combine these things to innovate even more. Mullen started when just jumping on a skateboard was considered groundbreaking.

I've never done action sports but I find the mindset really interesting. Tony hawk talks about how he was competing against a former gymnast to land the first 900. They knew it was possible but it just seemed so hard and the more people failed at it the harder it became.

"Watching" the Olympic mincing - I'm delighted to see that one of the athletes seems to be wearing a neckerchief.

I play walking rugby, and one of the teams we play has someone who does speed walking - when we say "sod it, I'm full-on sprinting" we still can't catch him.

Golf has started. It's a great course. Just doesn't get me hyped at all. Not even a top 10 event of the year for me.

Need to change the format to match play or even fourballs.

rodney Mullen does lectures and he has talked about this. Coming up with new "anything" is really hard and quite often it happens by accident. Sometimes there is an idea in your head and you chase it but it is still just an idea. But when you can see something you know that it is possible and therefore woth trying. You can combine these things to innovate even more. Mullen started when just jumping on a skateboard was considered groundbreaking.

I've never done action sports but I find the mindset really interesting. Tony hawk talks about how he was competing against a former gymnast to land the first 900. They knew it was possible but it just seemed so hard and the more people failed at it the harder it became.
Very true. Where I see a lot, a LOT of added value is in the 'research' part. It saves players a lot of time and helps them to focus on what is relevant.
Say you saw a football kick in the 80s. You were impressed by it and wanted to replicate it. If you were lucky you saw it, live or on tv (as opposed to being told about it). If you were incredibly lucky, you had the video. This video was more often than not shot from 10 galaxies away and the quality was terrible.
So you had info about what you wanted to do and knew that it was possible, but more often than not you were clueless about how to do it. Most people didn't even know where to begin. This took ages, and i mean AGES of trial an error. Think of a knuckleball strike. Or something like an elastico or (i believe you guys call it) 2 x around the world in a keepy uppie. Most people just tried kicking the ball endlessly against a wall.

Another sport: Guillermo Vilas spent aeons figuring out how to execute top spins at competitive level and was devastated when at one tourney he saw from far a guy doing exactly the same in the practice courts before a tourney. When he asked the player where did he get that from he replied; watching ping pong. The other guy was Bjorn Borg. The story is most likely apocryphal but i've heard it so many times i'd just like it to be true. All that theory is now in 10 billion 2 minute videos in every language, accessible to every kid who wants to pick up a racket.

My point is that today people who want to begin practicing a sport or a attempting a certain trick/maneuver, have a virtually an idiot proof manual. All the time a kid in the 60s had to spend figuring out WHAT to do kids now can spend on HOW to do it. Multiply this by the years it saves and by the number of people who practice it PLUS how this affect competition (and therefore innovation) and you've got something special.
I am still surprised the level this has taken some football skills. They are doing things i thought to be impossible. Of course there are other factors (nutrition, technology, etc) but nevertheless.

Oh, I've never heard of walking rugby! Interesting
It's great for those of us who are any combination of old, unskilled or knackered - or even just "can't afford the injury risk".

Very true. Where I see a lot, a LOT of added value is in the 'research' part. It saves players a lot of time and helps them to focus on what is relevant.
Say you saw a football kick in the 80s. You were impressed by it and wanted to replicate it. If you were lucky you saw it, live or on tv (as opposed to being told about it). If you were incredibly lucky, you had the video. This video was more often than not shot from 10 galaxies away and the quality was terrible.
So you had info about what you wanted to do and knew that it was possible, but more often than not you were clueless about how to do it. Most people didn't even know where to begin. This took ages, and i mean AGES of trial an error. Think of a knuckleball strike. Or something like an elastico or (i believe you guys call it) 2 x around the world in a keepy uppie. Most people just tried kicking the ball endlessly against a wall.

Another sport: Guillermo Vilas spent aeons figuring out how to execute top spins at competitive level and was devastated when at one tourney he saw from far a guy doing exactly the same in the practice courts before a tourney. When he asked the player where did he get that from he replied; watching ping pong. The other guy was Bjorn Borg. The story is most likely apocryphal but i've heard it so many times i'd just like it to be true. All that theory is now in 10 billion 2 minute videos in every language, accessible to every kid who wants to pick up a racket.

My point is that today people who want to begin practicing a sport or a attempting a certain trick/maneuver, have a virtually an idiot proof manual. All the time a kid in the 60s had to spend figuring out WHAT to do kids now can spend on HOW to do it. Multiply this by the years it saves and by the number of people who practice it PLUS how this affect competition (and therefore innovation) and you've got something special.
I am still surprised the level this has taken some football skills. They are doing things i thought to be impossible. Of course there are other factors (nutrition, technology, etc) but nevertheless.
The golf swing is a testament to this. There's swing trackers that tell you to the degree everything you are doing with your swing and a range within those metrics to get between to build an elite swing. Very robotic.

Does anyone have any background on Imane Khelif? Banned by IBA but not IOC and quite controversial is all I know.

Another Caster Semenya situation?

Does anyone have any background on Imane Khelif? Banned by IBA but not IOC and quite controversial is all I know.

The IBA is quite controversial itself and part of why boxing might not be in LA. I know that another boxer was ineligible under old regime but eligible now. Idk if it was the same exact reason as semenya.

The IBA is quite controversial itself and part of why boxing might not be in LA. I know that another boxer was ineligible under old regime but eligible now. Idk if it was the same exact reason as semenya.
Yeah I wouldn't hold the IBA as the standard. The Italian girl earlier very much felt as if she shouldn't be in the comp. Difficult situation that I'd hate to be making the decisions on.

I confess to not understanding the specifics but here is a not very well written BBC article which may explain it better

Yeah I wouldn't hold the IBA as the standard. The Italian girl earlier very much felt as if she shouldn't be in the comp. Difficult situation that I'd hate to be making the decisions on.
Not really difficult. Both fighters failed testosterone tests but were still allowed to fight. It's dangerous and shouldn't be allowed to happen. You have men beating up women in an olympic event.

Latest posts