• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Paris Olympics 2024

TeamGB are a long way down on 2020/1 as well
We've been due a drop were the only Team to actually do better the Olympics after we hosted (and we had a major bump in 2012) and 2020(1) was not a significant drop either.

Cycling has been our major haulage area though.

This Olympics is pretty much the first where (GB) competitors got into their sport because of the London Olympics.

Those 5-8 year olds are today's 17-20. This generation of gymnasts first thought of (or their parents did) going to gymnastics classes rather than "dance, modern and tap" because they watched Beth Tweddle.
These divers, grew up watching Tom Daly

Last edited:
Presumably, we're just starting to see the kids who got into sports, (or at least, sports that aren't football) as result of 2012.
Those 5-10 year olds are now 17-22
Yeah legacy wise I think were doing well Triathlon has moved on from the Brownlee's. Diving has had a clear legacy left in Daley's wake. And we're seeing the same in Gymnastics as well.

Rowing's been more a failure on 2012 success considering we were strong beforehand.

I guess for the UK that's the real test of hosting did we inspire new people like we set out to do.

GB swimmer DQ'd after easily winning his heat in backstroke

Not often you see a swimming final with no Americans or Aussies in it

That was one hell of a last length by Marchand

I remember watching x games as a kid and the double backflip being some rare thing. What these guys do know is just so impressive.
This is something that still makes me wonder. And there are so many examples. Things like performing a 360 ollie on a surfboard was not just considered impossible 30 years ago, it was beyond unthinkable. Now you see 14 year old, amateur kids doing that on their local break.
I see a lot of things like these in skateboarding, bmx, ski and snowboard. But it is not limited to that. These are relatively new sports so the performance curve is expected to be steep. But you can also see random kids on a park doing tricks with a football that most professionals from the 80's couldn't do. We are not talking about a niche and fast growing sport.
I wonder how much things like youtube helped to achieve this. You have tutorials for pretty much anything. You can 'learn' things in 5 minutes that back in the day took you years through trial an error.

Insane how someone can be that much better than there nearest competitor in the world, astonishing swimmer.

Gonna go and take 30+ minutes to do what Ledecky just did in 15 and a bit now change.

Latest posts