• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NSW Waratahs vs. British and Irish Lions (15/6/13)

Great game love the fact the Aussie teams like to chance their arm and counter attack against the long kick the Lions do need to chase that better instead of just waiting for the clearance kick.

Everything has already been said regards todays performance will just add how chuffed I was with AWJ performance who I thought had blown it last Tuesday.

Team for the brumbies game would like to see:

Grant, Lydiate, Manu,36, Best and Kearney all get a full 80 minutes. Needs Kearney in particular to put some pressure on the excellent Halfpenny

In the interest of getting best players on the field, anyone else want to see SOB at 8?

6. Croft / Lydiate
7. Tipuric
8. SOB
20. Croft / Lydiate / Faletau / Heaslip

For me, SOB and Tipuric have been brilliant in every appearance and deserve to be involved in some capacity.

Last edited:
Tuilagi? He's barely played. Be fair on JD2, who has been great all tour. He and BOD have been the stand-out centres, and I'd possibly start them even if Roberts is fit.

I agree, Davies has been outstanding. However, I have a feeling Gatland wants a bit hitter at 12 so I wouldn't be surprised to see Tuilagi picked there, as long as he is fit enough to play Wednesday

Quick straw poll. Who is the worse defender, Maitland or Cuthbert?

Have to add, I criticised Warburton after the Reds game but he was much better today doing some very good work. Although I still think Tipuric has been better.

Backrow and Second Row should be the starting partnerships. I still think Heaslip has been better than Faletau, making FAR more metres when carrying. But if Faletau had to come in with injury I wouldn't complain, however I don't think he'll make the 23.
Very impressed with Warburton, he's been criticized a lot on this forum, but for the right reasons. Although Barnes is a **** - I think he's right by saying he'll be starting. No way is Gatland going to leave him out.

My test team so far: (9 English, 10 Welsh, 4 Irish - bit harsh on Davies, Bowe would definitely start IMO when he comes back)

1: Vunipola
2: Youngs
3: Jones
4: O'Connell
5: Jones
6: Croft
7: Warburton
8: Heaslip
9: Phillips
10: Sexton
11: North
12: Roberts
13: O'Driscoll
14: Cuthbert
15: Halfpenny

16: Corbisiero
17: Hibbard
18: Cole
19: Parling
20: Lydiate or O'Brien
21: Youngs
22: Farrell
23: Tuilagi

Edit: Scott Quinnell is one of the most annoying commentators, he is so biased towards the Welsh I find. "Faletau has to start" - Um, no.

Quinnell has always been like that. The sky coverage is pretty nauseating, it always is in any sport, and they overdramatise every little thing ( I thought the commentator today was actually ejaculating when Zebo seemingly went over early doors )

Good intensity from the Lions but again, Warratahs, not good enough really. Not at this stage of a tour. Personally, I think the Aussies approach should cost them a tour in 12 years, or at least have the Lions review how they go about an Oz tour.

Because there are only like three Oz supporters on this forum, I'm going to be the only one to say that Drew Mitchell has been great for the Tahs, and I think Deans will probably look at him as the next outside back to bring in if there are any injuries etc.
I've not watched the game yet, but reading through I'm glad to hear that - was a massive massive fan of Mitchell before he broke his leg in '11 (was it?)

The commentary on the Italy Samoa game is very good like the two South Africans who do it so much more knowledgeable about the game and very unbiased, have the Lions 09 games on DVD and their commentary is far superior to the one I had to endure from the sky team when I watched the games live and its far superior to anything ESPN or the BBC have.

Scott Quinell was getting very excited, thought he was going to loose it and shout "Post code lottery!"

Tuilagi? He's barely played. Be fair on JD2, who has been great all tour. He and BOD have been the stand-out centres, and I'd possibly start them even if Roberts is fit.

I thought today Davies played the best I have ever seen him play. However the reason I think BOD and Tuilagi should and will start is because they have been the best Lions centres for the last two years (much longer in BOD's case).

The commentary on the Italy Samoa game is very good like the two South Africans who do it so much more knowledgeable about the game and very unbiased, have the Lions 09 games on DVD and their commentary is far superior to the one I had to endure from the sky team when I watched the games live and its far superior to anything ESPN or the BBC have.

Scott Quinell was getting very excited, thought he was going to loose it and shout "Post code lottery!"

The funny thing is, I find S4C's Welsh commentary to be among the best available. They are less biased than BBC or Sky's commentary, despite only being relevant to Welsh fans. I wouldn't say they're always entertaining, but the likes of Huw Llewelyn Davies and Gwyn Jones know their stuff, and are willing to give credit to the opposition instead of just moaning about Welsh players when things aren't going their way.

The funny thing is, I find S4C's Welsh commentary to be among the best available. They are less biased than BBC or Sky's commentary, despite only being relevant to Welsh fans. I wouldn't say they're always entertaining, but the likes of Huw Llewelyn Davies and Gwyn Jones know their stuff, and are willing to give credit to the opposition instead of just moaning about Welsh players when things aren't going their way.

Although I do think HLD had a political axe to grind when he subbed for Andrew Cotter in the 6N, kept banging on about where the Welsh players were born. Otherwise yes, he is a very good commentator.

Disappointed with Halfpenny, he can clearly only kick, so he really shouldn't be bothering with trying to score.