• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NSW Waratahs vs. British and Irish Lions (15/6/13)

Youngs can be a bit indecisive at the back of rucks sometimes. He's great when he makes decisive decisions, whether its to run, or pass. But he seems to get caught in several minds a little too often.

Lions were a class above - they're starting to perform well as a team now. Good that the Waratahs actually put it to them too, the scoreline was one sided but the Waratahs didn't look terrible by any means.

yeah. People also forget that he plays 12 for the Scarlets, so he's perfectly comfortable there. If anything, he plays out of position at 13 for Wales.

Just hope that one of Roberts, Tuilagi or North is fit so we have good centre cover. I know 36 is in the squad now, but he hasn't plays yet. There's always the possibility of Hogg covering centre, although I'd be concerned about his defence there (he struggled a little defensively at 10). Farrell is another I suppose. And Phillips covered the centre in SA.
Would rather Vunipola in the centers than Farrell.

Not even sure if I'm joking there.

Completely agree that Mitchell looked very good. Foley and that freak of a lock would also interest me if I were an Ozzie.

There is a thread on another forum asking about SO'B at 12 if Roberts is injured make it so, just for LN7's reaction.

Completely agree that Mitchell looked very good. Foley and that freak of a lock would also interest me if I were an Ozzie.

Agreed, Foley has really been excellent this season. Pretty clear though that Skelton (the freak) does not have the fitness required for a full 80.

I'd back Tipuric!

Maybe at 13 but Gatland likes a bosher at 12...

Youngs can be a bit indecisive at the back of rucks sometimes. He's great when he makes decisive decisions, whether its to run, or pass. But he seems to get caught in several minds a little too often.

I know what you mean but to be honest at this stage in the game it's not his fault - the players are all puffing, and nobody is offering themself to take the ball up as often as earlier in the game. Youngs' is indecisive because he wants to play a fast game, being fresh on, and is looking for runners but not finding them.

Now Gatland's decision to call up Twelvetrees come's good - if Roberts is out we literally don't have any 12's. It would have to be Davies since Manu isn't getting game time through injury. Twelvetrees to start against Brumbies?

Quite disappointed with Hibbard's lineout - it's been the worst of the three hookers. I thought he was a shoe-in but Tom Youngs has done little wrong imo, and has been busy around the field - arguably more impact than Hibbard. In fairness to Hibbard, his lineout is looking worse because he keeps going to the tail, where Youngs is safely going to the front.

Because there are only like three Oz supporters on this forum, I'm going to be the only one to say that Drew Mitchell has been great for the Tahs, and I think Deans will probably look at him as the next outside back to bring in if there are any injuries etc.

Definitely stood out amongst the tah outside backs anyway.

Because there are only like three Oz supporters on this forum, I'm going to be the only one to say that Drew Mitchell has been great for the Tahs, and I think Deans will probably look at him as the next outside back to bring in if there are any injuries etc.
Yeah I was surprised he wasn't picked over morahan, even though morahan had a blinder. I was trying to think of if anyone put their hand up for wallabies selection tonight. Mitchell was really the only one. Possibly foley, though cutch did a mile of work as did Skelton but he should have been subbed due to fitness. Can't expect a 130kg bloke to last that long at that intensity.

Couple of real stand out players today - Alun Wyn Jones worked his arse off, so many great drives, line outs and tackles.
Halfpenny was outstanding, safe under anything chucked his way, kicked everything (as per usual) and offered himself very well in attack. He might not do the angled runs hitting the line at speed, but hes an excellent support runner and ball carrier.
Davies - my MotM, outstanding game, really putting his hand up for the test team, especially if Roberts is ruled out! Lovely hands, always beat at least one man when carrying the ball, and just a general good game all round.
Warburton - I thought he was magnificent in the dirty gritty work of the breakdown, hand a hand in a few of the turnovers, but mostly tackled everything, cleared out (usually the first man at the breakdown in attack) and a couple of decent carries
Tom Youngs - Throwing was excellent, but did g for the easy option most times. Really lively in the loose too
Croft - outstanding in he line out, and what pace for his try! Didnt see too much of him in the tight, but I was focusing on Warbs a bit more
Zebo was also good, everywhere first half, should have finished off that try though!

So my overall thoughts of the game from a Lions perspective:

Front row: went well I thought. On top in the scrum. Youngs' lineout throwing was good. Vinupola did a lot of carrying work. Could be the starting front row, after a mixed cameo from Hibbard.

Second row: had test partnership written all over it imo. I thought both were great. O'Connell really stood out, doing a bit of everything really. AWJ got through a mountain of work, and was really direct with his carrying through the ruck area making plenty of metres.

Backrow: Croft was the standout. Possibly cemented his position in the test side. It wasn't just the fancy stuff either, he made a turn-over or two, and was great in the lineout. Warburton I thought was great at the breakdown. Maybe didn't turn too much ball over, but he was always there to secure Lions quick ball, and to at least slow down the opposition ball. He got through an awful lot of work imo. Enough to surpass Tipuric and SOB? Possibly. Heaslip had more of a steady game today, a couple of good carries and a couple of turnovers, nothing to complain about at all.

Halfbacks: Phillips had another good game. I'd still prefer quicker delivery, but he makes up for it with his physicality. Sexton is a cut above Farrell, some really classy moments from him again.

Centres: Davies was superb today. His passing was actually really good, always getting the ball into space. Involved in everything good for the Lions. Needs to watch that spot blitz, when it works it's great, but it can leave the Lions exposed on the outside. Roberts always got over the advantage line, but I think he could be ruled out, it didn't look good.

Back three: Halfpenny, imperious. I thought Zebo had a strong game. Possibly should have scored early on, but I'll let that one slide. He always looks for the ball, and is a lovely runner. Maitland? Meh, once again. He's almost there, but there are just elements of his game that let him down, I'd say he's bottom of the wingers pile.

So team to start against the Brumbies?

Am presuming these are certain to be playing

1. Grant
2. Best
3. Stevens
12. Twelvetrees
15. Kearney

With Evans, Parling, Faletau and Hogg highly probable.

So team to start against the Brumbies?

Am presuming these are certain to be playing

1. Grant
2. Best
3. Stevens
12. Twelvetrees
15. Kearney

With Evans, Parling, Faletau and Hogg highly probable.

If Tuilagi is fit, he's a must. If he isn't, who else do we put there? Davies and BOD must be kept for the test. Hogg?

If you'd told me before the tour that Tom Youngs would triumph as the most reliable lineout thrower I'd have probably laughed my way to a heart attack.

So Sky's test team

Mako Vunipola
Richard Hibbard
Adam Jones
Alun-wyn Jones
Paul O'Connell
Tom Croft
Sam Warburton
Toby Faletau

Mike Phillips
Jonathan Sexton
George North
Jamie Roberts
Brian O'Driscoll
Alex Cuthbert
Leight Halfpenny

Couple of real stand out players today - Alun Wyn Jones worked his arse off, so many great drives, line outs and tackles.
Halfpenny was outstanding, safe under anything chucked his way, kicked everything (as per usual) and offered himself very well in attack. He might not do the angled runs hitting the line at speed, but hes an excellent support runner and ball carrier.
Davies - my MotM, outstanding game, really putting his hand up for the test team, especially if Roberts is ruled out! Lovely hands, always beat at least one man when carrying the ball, and just a general good game all round.
Warburton - I thought he was magnificent in the dirty gritty work of the breakdown, hand a hand in a few of the turnovers, but mostly tackled everything, cleared out (usually the first man at the breakdown in attack) and a couple of decent carries
Tom Youngs - Throwing was excellent, but did g for the easy option most times. Really lively in the loose too
Croft - outstanding in he line out, and what pace for his try! Didnt see too much of him in the tight, but I was focusing on Warbs a bit more
Zebo was also good, everywhere first half, should have finished off that try though!

Only thing I would add is that this is the Test team subject only to bringing North in for Maitland (who was poor today), a choice between Corbs/Vuni (still not convinced on his scrummage ability), and who takes Roberts' place. The latter had his best game and will be a sorry loss but JD was, without doubt MoM, and he is ample replacement. Kearney is undercooked and needs to play full 80 on Tuesday, when he really cannot be considered for Saturday, for the bench if he plays well but I would put Hogg on bench as full back replacement.

It was an entertaining game and Foley and Mitchell were stand out players for Tahs and cannot why Mitchell is not on the Wallabies squad...good on Cheka who has to be a big loss to Stade as he proves what an outstanding coach he is.

PS second match on trot....thought ref played a great game with sympathy and missed little.

Edit....oopsm before I am picked up again, missed stating the obvious - BOD would be playing with JD in centre!!

Last edited:
Mostly right. A few close calls. I'd put Tom Youngs head of Hibbard atm. Heaslip v Faletau is a coin toss for me. I think a lot of people have missed a lot of the work Heaslip did today, still Toby offers something a little different, so they can decide.

I think Roberts could be out, he didn't look good, in which case JD2 would start. If North isn't fit, then I'd bring Zebo straight in personally.

PS second match on trot....thought ref played a great game with sympathy and missed little.

Yeah, ref was great today. Deserves a mention, considering everyone would be moaning if he'd have been poor.

I think it will be that side but with Youngs and Tuilagi in for Hibbard and Roberts myself. Agree with Peat it seems strange that Youngs should start due to his lineout.

I think it will be that side but with Youngs and Tuilagi in for Hibbard and Roberts myself. Agree with Peat it seems strange that Youngs should start due to his lineout.

Tuilagi? He's barely played. Be fair on JD2, who has been great all tour. He and BOD have been the stand-out centres, and I'd possibly start them even if Roberts is fit.

Latest posts