• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions: Return to Oz

My actual team at the moment. On who I consider to be on form.

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Denton
9. Blair (feels weird)
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Tuilagi (didn't think I'd ever say that)
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Cronin (no one's stood out)
17. Jenkins (I know it's not realistic)
18. Ryan (is on class form)
19. Rennie
20. Dickson
21. Farrell
22. Halfpenny

9 Irish 6 Welsh 4 Scottish and 3 English. Jeez I'm getting less biased.

Last edited:
Farrell, not Farrall.

I think we should make people pick Lions teams without using any players from their country/club and see what people come up with...

Also, I'm seriously going to advocate Matt Garvey being there.

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Denton
9. Blair (feels weird)
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Roberts
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

19. Rennie
20. Dickson
21. Farrall
22. Halfpenny

no you are still very biased

1. Jenkins
2. Best
3. Jones
4. O'Connel
5. Grey
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Morgan
9. Phillips
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscol
14. Bowe
15. Halfpenny

16. Healey
17. Rees
18. Charteris
19. Lydiate
20. Blair
21. Sexton
22. Foden

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Denton
9. Blair (feels weird)
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Roberts
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

19. Rennie
20. Dickson
21. Farrell
22. Halfpenny

Forgetting everything else, please justify this selection. We're talking lions here, and this guy has only played a couple of games for ireland. You're not deliberately biased, but you're giving him the benefit of the doubt because you know him better as a player. What about the Welsh locks - charteris?

Forgetting everything else, please justify this selection. We're talking lions here, and this guy has only played a couple of games for ireland. You're not deliberately biased, but you're giving him the benefit of the doubt because you know him better as a player. What about the Welsh locks - charteris?

I'm not a big fan of Charteris. Also it's on form Charteris hasn't played really this 6n. Ryan has looked really good every time he's come on. The only reason he's not starting is terrible selection by Deccie. Maybe I'm still too happy with yesterdays performance but he's been really good recently. He's an abrasive carrier, makes his tackles and his stolen loads of ball at the lineout also can play 6 if needed which is handy.

1. Gethin Jenkins (twice as good as Healy)
2. Rory Best (nobody stands out)
3. Adam Jones
4. Richie Gray
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sam Warburton (captain)
8. Toby Faletau (close between Denton and Heaslip)
9. Mike Blair
10. Johnny Sexton (on Leinster form)
11. Tim Visser (best finisher playing in the UK)
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Manu Tuilagi
14. George North
15. Rob Kearney (back to great form)

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Alex Corbisiero (plays both sides)
18. Courtney Lawes
19. Dave Denton
20. Lee Dickson
21. Owen Farrell
22. Tommy Bowe

I think alot of people are obviously picking the test side. With a lengthy tour after a long season you also need people who in the words of Martin Johnson would just be pleased to be there. The sort of guys who will still be upbeat in the couple of weeks when players start to miss home and especially if the tour isnt going great.

I'm not saying pick weak players over good players because they tour well but at the same time knowing the personalities of those on tour as well as playing ability will be huge

At the risk/certainty of annoying the Irish, I don't want the Lions to pick a full-back who can't pass won't pass, and would therefore have any of Foden/Halfpenny/Hogg/Brown/Jones there instead. I am happy to pick Kearney if he does actually use his support for things other than taking tackles for him.

1. Gethin Jenkins (twice as good as Healy) Debatable, Healy was better than Jenkins yesterday.
2. Rory Best (nobody stands out) Apart from Best who has been very good.
3. Adam Jones Agree
4. Richie Gray "
5. Paul O'Connell Can't see how O'Connell can't be captain ahead of Warburton.
6. Stephen Ferris Agree
7. Sam Warburton (captain) See O'Connell
8. Toby Faletau (close between Denton and Heaslip) Heaslip has been outplayed by every other 8 he has played in the 6n, I wouldn't have him touring on current form.
9. Mike Blair Agree
10. Johnny Sexton (on Leinster form) Agree, it'll be interesting to see him compared to Farrell.
11. Tim Visser (best finisher playing in the UK) Really needs to play for Scotland first, picking now I'd have North 11 and Bowe 14
12. Jamie Roberts Agree
13. Manu Tuilagi Agree
14. George North See 11
15. Rob Kearney (back to great form) Agree

16. Richardt Strauss Cronin and Ford have both been better this season.
17. Alex Corbisiero (plays both sides) Not sure.
18. Courtney Lawes Agree
19. Dave Denton Agree
20. Lee Dickson Agree
21. Owen Farrell See 10
22. Tommy Bowe Halfpenny

At the risk/certainty of annoying the Irish, I don't want the Lions to pick a full-back who can't pass won't pass, and would therefore have any of Foden/Halfpenny/Hogg/Brown/Jones there instead. I am happy to pick Kearney if he does actually use his support for things other than taking tackles for him.

I think the Kearney doesn't pass think is overstated in fact he rarely actually seems to have support. He'd be key against someone like Beale who is so good in the air.

I think the Kearney doesn't pass think is overstated in fact he rarely actually seems to have support. He'd be key against someone like Beale who is so good in the air.

The point about his defence still stands. He has been poor. However I wouldn't but every other fullback listed ahead of him.

I think Foden is the best option.

I am pretty happy to see Lee Dickson creeping into the Lions squad. As much as it might suck for Youngs it may give him a kick up the backside and I see it as a little bit of biased pay back for the idiotic comments about England coming from the Tigers this week.

What about

1. Jenkins - Best prop in uk
2. Hartley - Again no one has tuck hand up
3. Jones - Good all round prop both loose and tight
4. Gray - Looks good in defence and with ball in hand
5. Lawes - Abrasive tackle machine + POC isnt getting any younger
6. Ferris/ Lydiate - about the same
7. Warburton - obvious best 7 in uk
8. Heaslip/ Faletau - Prob Faletau looking towards a more exciting and younger Back row.
9. Blair/ Dickson - please not Phillips
10. Sexton/ Priestland - hmmmm tough one
11. North - Gotta go gotta play
12. Roberts - still probably best in uk
13 Tuilagi - See how BOD is when he gets back but same as POC is getting on a bit.
14. Halfpenny/ Bowe - Halfpenny for long range kicking could swing it, can also cover
15. Kearney - obvious choice solid under the high ball unlike Foden. Hogg a possibility watch this space.

The point about his defence still stands. He has been poor. However I wouldn't but every other fullback listed ahead of him.

I think Foden is the best option.

I don't think his defense has been bad. With the Fofana try he couldn't go full pace or he'd have been stepped and he had the touchline to help him he also came very close to holding him up. After seeing him make so many last ditch tackles over the years I don't doubt his defense.

Anyone think Hook has a look in for a place on the bench?

I know he is not really close to being the best OH/Centre/FB, but he can cover all of these to a high standard, so is potentially a great option on the bench?

I need to stop reading this thread or I'm going to have a heart attack at 16. I'm sure some feel the same way about my posts though.

What about

1. Jenkins - Best prop in uk
2. Hartley - Again no one has tuck hand up
3. Jones - Good all round prop both loose and tight
4. Gray - Looks good in defence and with ball in hand
5. Lawes - Abrasive tackle machine + POC isnt getting any younger
6. Ferris/ Lydiate - about the same
7. Warburton - obvious best 7 in uk
8. Heaslip/ Faletau - Prob Faletau looking towards a more exciting and younger Back row.
9. Blair/ Dickson - please not Phillips
10. Sexton/ Priestland - hmmmm tough one
11. North - Gotta go gotta play
12. Roberts - still probably best in uk
13 Tuilagi - See how BOD is when he gets back but same as POC is getting on a bit.
14. Halfpenny/ Bowe - Halfpenny for long range kicking could swing it, can also cover
15. Kearney - obvious choice solid under the high ball unlike Foden. Hogg a possibility watch this space.

To be fair, Lydiate is nowhere near as good as Ferris

Latest posts