• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions: Return to Oz

Gatland warns French-based players etc.

After the first three weeks of Top 14, the only players I see the whole Top 14 semi-final conflict affecting are those on Toulon (Jenkins, S. Armitage). Clermont will probably go more or less all the way, but Lee Byrne is pretty down the pecking order of NH fullbacks (Halfpenny, Kearney, etc) that I don't think it will matter. As for Mike Philips at Bayonne and Hook and Charteris with the Catalans, their respective playoff runs aren't looking too promising at the moment.

Didn't really do that much after that tour though (apart from featuring in the Scarlets Heineken Cup run in 2006/07), seemed to dramatically lose a lot of pace towards the last few years of his career.

Aye but from ~1999-2001 he was a very good wing. Scored a nice one in our win in Paris in 1999.

Gatland warns French-based players etc.

After the first three weeks of Top 14, the only players I see the whole Top 14 semi-final conflict affecting are those on Toulon (Jenkins, S. Armitage). Clermont will probably go more or less all the way, but Lee Byrne is pretty down the pecking order of NH fullbacks (Halfpenny, Kearney, etc) that I don't think it will matter. As for Mike Philips at Bayonne and Hook and Charteris with the Catalans, their respective playoff runs aren't looking too promising at the moment.

Can't remember if it is was in this thread or another that I said it, but IMO the only real loss from that lot would be Gethin Jenkins, and even then the Aussie scrum isn't exactly the Boks or All Blacks so someone like Healy would do well enough there.

S. Armitage is a brilliant 7, but then there's Warburton and Tipuric knocking about too.

Can't remember if it is was in this thread or another that I said it, but IMO the only real loss from that lot would be Gethin Jenkins, and even then the Aussie scrum isn't exactly the Boks or All Blacks so someone like Healy would do well enough there.

S. Armitage is a brilliant 7, but then there's Warburton and Tipuric knocking about too.

Fear not, Oliver, for we have Tim Payne

Fear not, Oliver, for we have Tim Payne
He's got experience:
20092106Payne215x215.jpg

Yep, the memories of 2009 come flooding back.

Oh, if another writer/pundit brings up Gatland's 'bias' again, I am going to support the Wallabies. 2005, Clive Woodward? Roughly half the squad... English? We did win a Grand Slam that year...

To be fair, every coach would be biased towards the players the know and like. Graham Henry, Clive Woodward, Ian McGeechan, Warren Gatland have all done this, it's only natural to an extent.

That's why I thought a coach who wasn't in the current national teams coaching set up would have been a good idea, and one that should be tried.

To be fair, every coach would be biased towards the players the know and like. Graham Henry, Clive Woodward, Ian McGeechan, Warren Gatland have all done this, it's only natural to an extent.

That's why I thought a coach who wasn't in the current national teams coaching set up would have been a good idea, and one that should be tried.

Henry was hardly as biased as Woodward, et al.
In fact, it was Henry's non-selection of some Welsh players that apparently helped to start the rift that developed following the tour.

If Lee Byrne travels then Gatland can get the **** right out of rugby. That's about all I care about.

If Lee Byrne travels then Gatland can get the **** right out of rugby. That's about all I care about.

Considering we played a wing who hasn't played at fullback in two years in that position in a WC QF, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Latest posts