• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions: Return to Oz

Anyone think Hook has a look in for a place on the bench?

I know he is not really close to being the best OH/Centre/FB, but he can cover all of these to a high standard, so is potentially a great option on the bench?[/QUOTE

We have better options and cover for all those positions. I would keel over if Gatland even considered putting him in a Lions shirt.

I was just thinking about the 10 situation and if Farrell has played himself in front of Priestland in Gatlands mind. I have a feeling he might well have done.

Debatable yesterday on Jenkins? For me a weak reason to select. From where I sat at the stadium yesterday Jenkins looked pretty good (made his tackles, jackled a few balls and carried), if you are going to hold the boaring penalty against him then Clancy got that one wrong. Healy had a good game make no bones about that.

You do realise there have been plenty of players who have toured for the Lions without being capped for their country? So if Visser is not capped (unlikely) he will be eligible.

As for Ferris I'd have him at 6. He's pretty special. I'm not a fan of Faletau at the moment, his ball retention is something he needs to work on and I think he's not always aware of what is around him. Ben Morgan and Dave Denton have another year to grow but at the moment look pretty good prospects.

Last edited:
Well then ...

I like him, he's experienced with playing in Australia. Good shout.

Don't say things like that or are very own orange one Danny boy might start getting a mention. Not sure how he is playing at the moment tbh.

Debatable yesterday on Jenkins? For me a weak reason to select. From where I sat at the stadium yesterday Jenkins looked pretty good (made his tackles, jackled a few balls and carried), if you are going to hold the boaring penalty against him then Clancy got that one wrong. Healy had a good game make no bones about that.

You do realise there have been plenty of players who have toured for the Lions without being capped for their country? So if Visser is not capped (unlikely) he will be eligible.

As for Ferris I'd have him at 6. He's pretty special. I'm not a fan of Faletau at the moment, his ball retention is something he needs to work on and I think he's not always aware of what is around him. Ben Morgan and Dave Denton have another year to grow but at the moment look pretty good prospects.

The Healy reference was just an example that Jenkins isn't "Twice as good" as Healy, they're both neck and neck for the Lions at the moment.

Visser is Dutch has never played international rugby and wouldn't imo have any loyalty towards the Lions so therefore shouldn't be picked for the Lions unless he plays for Scotland, Bowe is a better player anyway.

Don't say things like that or are very own orange one Danny boy might start getting a mention. Not sure how he is playing at the moment tbh.

Hahaha putting it out there are you? Cippers for Lions Duty!

Isn't it great how everyone's decided Gatlands got the job in the bag. I know it's pretty certain but it'd be funny if someone else got it (for a while at least).

Isn't it great how everyone's decided Gatlands got the job in the bag. I know it's pretty certain but it'd be funny if someone else got it (for a while at least).

Probably for you.

I'd be happy if Gatland did not get the job.

Probably for you.

I'd be happy if Gatland did not get the job.

Why? I'm not overly happy with Gatland but alternatives aren't great. I am not a fan of his. Kidney would be laughable though maybe the Lions environment would suit him as he is a good man manager.

There's various reasons not to give it to him.

1. He's an outspoken gobshite alot of the time. Not really a great idea given how the Australian media can get (don't want another 2005 disaster).
2. He's a home-nation coach.
3. He's not from the home-nation and I believe that if you're gonna do this properly then they should appoint a British or Irish coach.

There's various reasons not to give it to him.

1. He's an outspoken gobshite alot of the time. Not really a great idea given how the Australian media can get (don't want another 2005 disaster).
2. He's a home-nation coach.
3. He's not from the home-nation and I believe that if you're gonna do this properly then they should appoint a British or Irish coach.

I know but who are the viable good alternatives?

O'Shea, Geech, Dean Richards, ****-it, if we're picking a foreigner bring Joe Schmidt.

I said viable haven't they already interviewed people? Pretty sure the choices are the home nation coaches and Geech (so obviously you'd have him). Not great choices IMO.

Latest posts