• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euros 2024 - Germany

They choose the comfort of the studio to do their criticism instead of becoming managers and coaches themselves. All that experience of pain from suffering in past tournaments but just doing the criticism as a pundit - that's the easy life.
That's a really bizarre opinion to have, tbh

That's a really bizarre opinion to have, tbh
How? They can criticise all they want that's what they are paid to do. But how many have become managers and coaches with the chance to get to Southgate's position? He's going to get the blame regardless. But what he isn't to blame for is the deep problems that afflict English football, which don't give them the best chance to win a Euros or World Cup. He leaves after these euros he'll get replaced by another manager who'll repeat the whole cycle again.

Because it implies only top level coaches are allowed to comment on anything to do with football

Why even televise the games if everyone else isn't qualified to have an opinion on what's happening, just put the final result on the screen

How? They can criticise all they want that's what they are paid to do. But how many have become managers and coaches with the chance to get to Southgate's position? He's going to get the blame regardless. But what he isn't to blame for is the deep problems that afflict English football, which don't give them the best chance to win a Euros or World Cup. He leaves after these euros he'll get replaced by another manager who'll repeat the whole cycle again.
The whole point of being a pundit is to give opinion. Shearer, Wright etc are more than well placed to offer them.

I really don't get what deep problems you think are impacting English football. The problem is we are not actually that good.

And that's Scotland out

What's the deal with third places? Do they all go through or just...4? 2?
All but 2 I think. The draw is a complete mess on who plays who because of it.

I tried to spend all of 2 minuites trying to work out if England would play Scotland (they won't now obvious). Saw the table of third space perminations and decided life was too short.

The whole point of being a pundit is to give opinion. Shearer, Wright etc are more than well placed to offer them.

I really don't get what deep problems you think are impacting English football. The problem is we are not actually that good.
You would have thought we would have won again if by nothing more than basic probability. We are not that bad and the league most of our players is in is definitely high standard. Our inability to convert this into world cups and Euros really seems to be below what we should have got even just through lucky runs.

I think the problem runs deeper, this is repeated in English teams across multiple sports. I think as a nation we shy away from the killer instinct needed to succeed in these things.

I get that England want to create openings, but you also have to take risks. You're never going to get the perfect opportunity, so be more adventurous.

This is so bleak, everyone just stood still, passing to another guy stood still, standing still, pass to another guy stood still

Slovenia's attack is a joy compared to ours

Trippier joining Kane on my list of players I've never seen play well
He is absolutely shocking, even his teammates are giving him the business out there

Attack is passive, though starting to improve. Defence is a real worry. Keep standing off them, no pressing at all.

Not sure what was worse, having to watch the turgid football on offer from England, or having to listen to the plate of beans negotiating its way out of a cows digestive system that is Lee Dixon.

Last edited:
Vast improvement needed. Southgate either needs to get his first team working or make changes because England aren't winning playing like that.

The draw for the knockout is a mess with this 4/6 best 3rd place teams also qualify and algorithms deciding who plays who. Much simpler when they had top 2 in each group go through. But that was when they had 16 teams and 4 groups. This is what the next World Cup will be like with 48 teams.

So either Netherlands or the 3rd place team in Group E awaits them. Southgate is lucky man with draws - could have been worse with Germany, France (who have also been ****), Spain, Portugal on the other side.

Anyone who remembers the last time England played in Germany in 2006 won't be surprised. Beckham and co were also **** in the Group stages lacking energy and struggling to get the ball up the pitch through midfield. 1988 was even worse, where they didn't even get out of the group and lost to the Irish. Lineker should remember but he did have Hepatitis.

Latest posts