• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euros 2024 - Germany

I initially liked the 24 team tournament because on first go Ireland weren't incompetent enough to not qualify but not anymore. The tournament may as well not have started for me yet though. The 16 team tournament was a higher quality from the start than the World Cup, this tournament with luck of the draw that's skewed in favour of the groups that play last doesn't buck the trend of modern sports ruining a good thing by not realising jeopardy is what makes sport exciting to most people.

I'll probably pick off an interesting round 2 game but doubt I'll be captivated by it until the semis if at all.

Can genuinely say I've not watched a second and that's not normal for me.

The draw for the knockout is a mess with this 4/6 best 3rd place teams also qualify and algorithms deciding who plays who. Much simpler when they had top 2 in each group go through. But that was when they had 16 teams and 4 groups. This is what the next World Cup will be like with 48 teams.

So either Netherlands or the 3rd place team in Group E awaits them. Southgate is lucky man with draws - could have been worse with Germany, France (who have also been ****), Spain, Portugal on the other side.

Anyone who remembers the last time England played in Germany in 2006 won't be surprised. Beckham and co were also **** in the Group stages lacking energy and struggling to get the ball up the pitch through midfield. 1988 was even worse, where they didn't even get out of the group and lost to the Irish. Lineker should remember but he did have Hepatitis.

To be fair that Irish team were comparable to England until about 94. Were unlucky not to beat the USSR and reach the semis. The Dutch were another matter!

To be fair that Irish team were comparable to England until about 94. We're unlucky not to beat the USSR and reach the semis. The Dutch were another matter!
They were definitely your golden generation. But I wouldn't go as far as comparable
To England. England got to the semis of the 1990 World Cup - and penalties from getting to the final, whereas ROI got to the quarters of that one IIRC. Of course the one after - England didn't even qualify and ROI did beating Italy in group stages in 1994 - losing in the round of 16. I remember ROI being a long ball team - equivalent of how Wimbledon played back then. To their strengths and Jack Charlton got the best out of them.

1988 - freak goal from the Dutch got them
The win v your boys. Back then it was only 2 groups of 4 though. But yeh loved that Dutch team of Guillit, MVB, Rijkaard and Koeman who of course is managing the Dutch team. MVB's volley in the final still the best Euros goal for me.

Latest posts