• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euros 2024 - Germany

It's a shame but congrats to the Spanish, best team of the tournament. Once Rice missed that second header to equalise it was over. England are a moments team but Spain are more complete and better.

Southgate has taken the team as far as he can. Time for a new manager to take the team forward in 2 years.

Better team won. England simply weren't good enough and like all tournament only found the energy to attack when losing. Mind boggling how they just sit back until they are losing and then suddenly switch on.

n+2 years of hurt, rinse and repeat.
FIFY.

Midfield has always been England's weakness since I have watched them. I don't know how we fix this. Even after Rhodri went off, they replace him with another and Fabien Ruiz still runs the game.

2 years time is WC in North/Central America and it's 8 games to win to win the biggest prize. After that it's back to UK/Ire. If England do get another crack in the final they better meet a weaker team. But there is never any guarantee of that. TBH we had a bloody lucky draw and had our luck this tournament. So, no complaints tonight.

Right team won, think media are too negative on England. They're actually making finals and being competitive now unlike how it's traditionally gone. Culture Southgate has cultivated seems good too. Pleased they made it even though players will be gutted in short term.

Have to say watching the sport of soccer this tournament it makes me realise how much more I love rugby, even if I miss a bit of the biff we used to get. Rugby really does have everything.

Congrats & commiserations.
Maybe you guys can help me out: Why was Kane subbed? Was he injured or something?

I just don't get why we played so caged in the first half?
Pressure. But it's supposed to only for tyres.

Congrats & commiserations.
Maybe you guys can help me out: Why was Kane subbed? Was he injured or something?
He's been shite (despite scoring 3 goals). No pace to stretch and get behind defenders. He's probably not fully fit either having missed the last month of Bayern's season with a back injury.

Maybe a manager with a bit of positivity will get something from this group of players. Seems like Gareths plan was to play for penalties from kick off and he was only ever prodded into action when the team went behind.

Pressure. But it's supposed to only for tyres.

He's been shite (despite scoring 3 goals). No pace to stretch and get behind defenders. He's probably not fully fit either having missed the last month of Bayern's season with a back injury.
The whole team have been **** to be fair. Southgate would make Messi look average in this set up.

The whole team have been **** to be fair. Southgate would make Messi look average in this set up.
Individuals, but not a great team. Yes, maybe down to his tactics, but also down to England players lacking that ability to keep, pass the ball under pressure when playing the very top teams. All we talk about when we complement England players is their physical attributes; Their strength, determination and desire. It's not been enough for 60 years.

Don't forget it took Messi until he was 34 to win a senior major international trophy with Argentina.

Southgate is still been the manager to get an England team to a final on overseas soil. England fans have a short memory of how bad it got under Hodgson, Capello, McClaren and even Ericsson. And they never got the best out of their players either.

As I said England managers are hamstrung by Premier league - the development of players to play international football. Southgate was largely winging it as he went along this tournament with the state these players arrived at after long season of football. Boiled down to this was the best of the Premier league v best of La Liga.

It probably is time for a new manager, but I am not sure the end result will be any different. We have had so many since Sir Alf that I have always felt it can't just be down to the manager that England fail to get over the line. But that is what they are paid to do and the system they have to work.

Latest posts