• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Obvious, but ffs anyway

Completely over Scum Blagmouth
It's interesting listening to SB talk about smith and Farrell. For smith, he compliments his rugby playing, for Farrell it's only leadership and non 'playing rugby' stuff. Almost as if he's saying he's not that great a rugby player but a great leader.

It's interesting listening to SB talk about smith and Farrell. For smith, he compliments his rugby playing, for Farrell it's only leadership and non 'playing rugby' stuff. Almost as if he's saying he's not that great a rugby player but a great leader.
Or maybe he's saying smith can play rugby but makes no contribution to the team or maybe we're looking to make something out of borthwicks words that isn't actually there 🤷‍♂️

An interesting read. I still think Cipriani is and was a *** but I agree with his comments about the inherent conservatism , old boys network and lack of vision in English rugby.

ITV building up about Arundel for the Chile match when he won't be eligible after the World Cup is just plain weird. Probably bizarre to most viewers.

Preface this by saying he's absolutely earned a start vs Samoa next time out (I'd start him with May, because Malins and Daly have both been poor)
Need to see much more consistency in the fundamentals before I'm all in - hopefully that starts with this weekend
2 passes, one of them intercepted
2 tackles, 2 missed tackles
1 handling error
1 turnover conceded in own half

None of that really matters considering it was essentially a training session though - be interested to see him vs Samoa, which would be a step up

In comparison, Malins:
4 tackles, 1 missed
3 handling errors
5(!!!) turnovers conceded in own half

I think for the Samoa game we need our first 15 on the field and given time to gel before the quarters.

I'm really not sure who our best 15 is anymore but here is what I think and then what I think SB will do on the right next to mine.

1 Genge / Genge
2 George / George
3 Sinckler / Sinckler
4 itoje / Itoje
5 chessum / Chessum
6 lawes / Lawes
7 earl / Earl
8 Ludlum / Billy
9 mitchell / Mitchell
10 Ford / Ford
11 May / Daly
12 Manu / Farrell
13 Marchant / Manu
14 Arundell / May
15 Smith / Steward

16 Dan / Dan
17 Marler / Marler
18 Stuart / Stuart
19 Martin / Martin
20 Willis / Ludlum
21 Youngs / Youngs
22 Farrell / smith
23 Steward / marchant

I think for the Samoa game we need our first 15 on the field and given time to gel before the quarters.

I'm really not sure who our best 15 is anymore but here is what I think and then what I think SB will do on the right next to mine.

1 Genge / Genge
2 George / George
3 Sinckler / Sinckler
4 itoje / Itoje
5 chessum / Chessum
6 lawes / Lawes
7 earl / Earl
8 Ludlum / Billy
9 mitchell / Mitchell
10 Ford / Ford
11 May / Daly
12 Manu / Farrell
13 Marchant / Manu
14 Arundell / May
15 Smith / Steward

16 Dan / Dan
17 Marler / Marler
18 Stuart / Stuart
19 Martin / Martin
20 Willis / Ludlum
21 Youngs / Youngs
22 Farrell / smith
23 Steward / marchant
Are we now calling Smith a genuine 15 option unforced by injury etc?

Are we now calling Smith a genuine 15 option unforced by injury etc?
I am split on this but Steward is average and poor in attack and although Arundell , Malins and Daly are all actual FBs, none seem to be trusted so the only realistic pick for me is Smith.

We do seem to look way better when he's on the pitch and he's the only player in the backs who actually has some talent and a bit of a rugby brain it seems.

I am split on this but Steward is average and poor in attack and although Arundell , Malins and Daly are all actual FBs, none seem to be trusted so the only realistic pick for me is Smith.

We do seem to look way better when he's on the pitch and he's the only player in the backs who actually has some talent and a bit of a rugby brain it seems.
Pretty much on the same page, I just don't know how it may go under the high ball and in pressured situations positional awareness is huge at 15, can't see him having that against top 3 teams and their ability to find space, with that said we know what we get with Steward exceptional aerially and that's pretty much where it ends so I guess if at this point we have conceded that without substantial change mind set wise we have no chance, a hell Mary could be the option.

Pretty much on the same page, I just don't know how it may go under the high ball and in pressured situations positional awareness is huge at 15, can't see him having that against top 3 teams and their ability to find space, with that said we know what we get with Steward exceptional aerially and that's pretty much where it ends so I guess if at this point we have conceded that without substantial change mind set wise we have no chance, a hell Mary could be the option.
The thing with smith is he does have the pace to get him out of poor positioning and he will be used to playing back under the high ball as a lot of 10s sit back to return kicks these days.

I'm not 100% it's a good idea but it seems to be a better enfland with him at 15.

Latest posts