• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

If someone were looking to make the the step up, I'd be far more interested in seeing Shaun Edwards than Baxter.

Increasingly I think proven experience at international level is far more than domestic.

This isn't to say you can't still get it horribly wrong. On paper Andy Robinson was an ideal candidate. He was not.

If someone were looking to make the the step up, I'd be far more interested in seeing Shaun Edwards than Baxter.

Increasingly I think proven experience at international level is far more than domestic.

This isn't to say you can't still get it horribly wrong. On paper Andy Robinson was an ideal candidate. He was not.
The again Robinson was also hit with a mass exodus of most of the star players and leaders in a squad that has already begun to drop from their peak and those coming through as replacements were some way off on quality.

The again Robinson was also hit with a mass exodus of most of the star players and leaders in a squad that has already begun to drop from their peak and those coming through as replacements were some way off on quality.
Yeah but he hardly covered himself in glory in Scotland either.

The squad wasn't too bad 8 of the 22 made it to 2007 final. Granted Wilko was already injured.

Yeah but he hardly covered himself in glory in Scotland either.

The squad wasn't too bad 8 of the 22 made it to 2007 final. Granted Wilko was already injured.
I don't think Robinson was the right man for the job but the cupboard was pretty bare post 2003.

Think that's us guaranteed through to the quarters and basically guaranteed in first place?
Worst we can do is draw with Japan or Argentina on 14pts but we've a 110 points difference and they've an 11 and -8 (though Argentina yet to play chile)

Think that's us guaranteed through to the quarters and basically guaranteed in first place?
Worst we can do is draw with Japan or Argentina on 14pts but we've a 110 points difference and they've an 11 and -8 (though Argentina yet to play chile)
BBC reporting we're through as Group Winners.

If that is the case- how you approaching the Samoa game?

Yes. Wales and England two of the first nations to definitely qualify. We're both getting to the semis as well!

"This result means England cannot be overtaken at the top of Pool D.

Samoa can no longer match their current total of 14 points, while Steve Borthwick's men have a superior head-to-head record over Japan and Argentina."

Yes. Wales and England two of the first nations to definitely qualify. We're both getting to the semis as well!
May well do but both qf will be tough Fiji have played nice stuff lately ( assuming they don't implode)
Wales I'm sure hope for Japan who are stuttering abit.
Argentina are off form at present but if pack get going could cause Wales pack a ton of problems.
At moment both teams have luxury of resting any who are carrying knocks and experiments if they wish.

I'd definitely be full strength for somoa to build on those ever changing combinations and get everyone ready for the week after.

I think we know who SBs first choice 15 was while Owen was banned but now he's back it ruins the whole backline. Maybe we replication the Manu/ Slade ball player at 13 and have Farrell standing at 13 a lot but I just don't think he deserves to be in the first 15.

I'd definitely be full strength for somoa to build on those ever changing combinations and get everyone ready for the week after.

I think we know who SBs first choice 15 was while Owen was banned but now he's back it ruins the whole backline. Maybe we replication the Manu/ Slade ball player at 13 and have Farrell standing at 13 a lot but I just don't think he deserves to be in the first 15.
Well, SB has dropped Farrell before...no reason he might not do it again.

I have a feeling he will put Farrell on the bench for this one. In fact I think he will pick the following, some I would agree with and some I wouldn't. However I'm also bored and trying not to finish my workload this week...

Curry will come back, that's no slight on Ludlam and I hope he takes the 20 shirt instead of Billy who shouldn't be anywhere near. Ribbans on bench as he's impressed me more than Martin.

In the backs I think 10/12/13 will stay the same. Defensively they look good and Marchant defends the 13 channel well and is still dangerous in attack. Same for Tuilagi at 12. Ford can't and won't be dropped. SB trusts him and would be mad to drop him and he hopefully knows that.

Maybe I'm speculating too much but he will bring Arundell in for May as he is a finisher, a point of difference and stays wide. Decent under the high ball too. Scoring 5 has definitely helped. I'm sure SB will want a second playmaker, and keep Steward in the team for his ability under the ball, hence he will move to wing and will alternate with Smith playing 15 but cropping up everywhere as 2nd receiver, or outside back, or running from deep. If Samoa kick from the base of a ruck or scrum I expect Steward to drop into 15. I think that works to and isn't beyond the realms of possibility for SB to do this.

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Chessum
6. Lawes
7. Curry
8. Earl

9. Mitchell
10 . Ford
11. Steward
12. Tuilagi
13. Marchant
14. Arundell
15. Smith

Stuart, Dann (he's a fantastic man, he really is), Marler, Ribbans, Ludlam, Youngs, Farrell, Daly

Balance, pace, power and a bit of fun.

I have a feeling he will put Farrell on the bench for this one. In fact I think he will pick the following, some I would agree with and some I wouldn't. However I'm also bored and trying not to finish my workload this week...

Curry will come back, that's no slight on Ludlam and I hope he takes the 20 shirt instead of Billy who shouldn't be anywhere near. Ribbans on bench as he's impressed me more than Martin.

In the backs I think 10/12/13 will stay the same. Defensively they look good and Marchant defends the 13 channel well and is still dangerous in attack. Same for Tuilagi at 12. Ford can't and won't be dropped. SB trusts him and would be mad to drop him and he hopefully knows that.

Maybe I'm speculating too much but he will bring Arundell in for May as he is a finisher, a point of difference and stays wide. Decent under the high ball too. Scoring 5 has definitely helped. I'm sure SB will want a second playmaker, and keep Steward in the team for his ability under the ball, hence he will move to wing and will alternate with Smith playing 15 but cropping up everywhere as 2nd receiver, or outside back, or running from deep. If Samoa kick from the base of a ruck or scrum I expect Steward to drop into 15. I think that works to and isn't beyond the realms of possibility for SB to do this.

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Chessum
6. Lawes
7. Curry
8. Earl

9. Mitchell
10 . Ford
11. Steward
12. Tuilagi
13. Marchant
14. Arundell
15. Smith

Stuart, Dann (he's a fantastic man, he really is), Marler, Ribbans, Ludlam, Youngs, Farrell, Daly

Balance, pace, power and a bit of fun.
You can't have Borthwick and fun in the same post. He seems about as good at fun as bleach is at eyewash.

Presumably Curry plays in this one.

Apparently been training like a demon but got to be v frustrated after the red and not having played in ages. He'll be a bit rusty but more interesting will be how he deals with that frustration - if he sets out at 100 mph to level everything that moves, that brings its own risks in the current climate.

Whenever he's been out injured before he's always hit the ground running when he's back, I'd expect him to do the same here
Gotta start,
I'd go Curry, Ludlam, Earl, but I reckon it'll be Curry, Earl, Binny

Or if he's treating it as a dress rehearsal for the QF then presumably Lawes comes in at 6. There's no justification for picking Binny over Earl, hopefully that's now become clear to SB.

On Curry I'm just hoping that he can channel all his pent up frustration the right way. I'm sure he will, but with cards being dished out all over the place, he'll need to keep that in check.

Latest posts