• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Im really not sure about this idea of turning Smith into a full back. Not least because both Ford and Farrell are in their 30s so England will need a fly half in a couple of years.
Yes, that'll be interesting to see who comes through. Charlie Atkinson, Fin Smith...all need to progress

Imagine it'll be T. Willis before Mercer since he lasted until the final squad.
Id be happy with either tbh, they wont get gametime but good for one of them to get experience, both arguably deserve it more than Billy, just a shame he wasnt the one to leave.

OK, haven't read the BBC sports site today.
Shame for Willis. He had a good game v Chile too.

Apparently not serious but putting him out for 3wks. We'll do well to stay in the tournament for that long so makes sense to replace him.

I'd hope for Tom Willis or Mercer but I'd be fine with Underhill too.

Don't think we'll see him in an England squad again to be honest.

Does it have to be a direct back row replacement? Maybe Borthwick might fancy bringing another position in....

Imagine it'll be T. Willis before Mercer since he lasted until the final squad.

True. I think he'd the first cab off the rank although IIRC Pearson also only lost out at the final cut and he'd be more like for like.

Doesn't have to be a straight replacement of course. 10 / 15 hybrids seem to be in vogue so maybe Furbank or Goode 😀.

One way or another I don't think we'll ever see the best of J Willis in an Eng shirt which is a huge shame.

With how little he trusts our current wingers, I'd wonder if he'd call a winger up?

Yep, I was wondering about Watson, but couldn't see any timescale on his injury. Assuming he wouldn't be an option, and SB really doesn't seem to rate Murley, OHC, Radwan or Coka.

Walker's also obviously not rated, so maybe Dunn or Blamire?

But I suspect he'll go with a back rower and given Earl seems to have locked down 8 probably another flanker. Assuming fitness I'd go Underhill.

In really good news, discussions ongoing for a fixture between Portugal and England A early next year. Exactly the kind of match I want to see - competitive exposure for both the Portuguese and our emerging players.

Brilliant wonder what kind of team we may go for guess a lot depends on how much of a clean sweep Borthwick will go post RWC

Yeah, Borthwick's gonna do a Rassie - call up Cokanasiga and then give him a #2 shirt! Lol. (somehow I having Eddie Jones flashbacks..)

Latest posts