• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I wonder if the England coaching staff will ever remember we have 2 Curries.

20 seems kinda low honestly.
Why not go for 25 players? A full squad plus two extra.
Probably the best they could get, plus you risk sort of locking in a 23 in the media's eyes if there isn't some wriggle room on a few players, maybe ?(playing devil's advocate here)

Definitely better than nothing

If the maths stack up it has to be the right general direction of travel.

Can't access the Telegraph article but have read elsewhere that it's the size of the proposed club-country deal that has triggered the RFU council revolt against Sweeney.

Whilst I do think the money aspect of it is good and central contracts would take a lot of strain off of clubs, I'm not keen on this bit:
Steve Borthwick could have more say on each player's conditioning, game time, position

I know that's how it works with other dual contracts, but I don't like the prospect of SB turning around saying, for example, we've got to use Curry at 8 now, or "Sorry, he can't play the Saracens game next week, the Six Nations is on the horizon"

Whilst I do think the money aspect of it is good and central contracts would take a lot of strain off of clubs, I'm not keen on this bit:

I know that's how it works with other dual contracts, but I don't like the prospect of SB turning around saying, for example, we've got to use Curry at 8 now, or "Sorry, he can't play the Saracens game next week, the Six Nations is on the horizon"
i can understand that Oly, i guess that will still need to all be fought out before anything is set in stone.

That's the quid pro quo of central contracts. The national team will hold the whip hand.

The Times used Smith as an example saying that SB wouldn't be able to compel Quins to play him at 15 but that the club would have to be open to discussion if the national team raised the idea - whatever that means, I guess the devil's in the detail. In my own industry parties are sometimes required to 'consult' on various matters - mostly that turns into genuine partnership, but sometimes it's 'Your views are noted, but we're going to do what we want anyway'.

I'm not sure the league clubs will be happy about being told how to use their players in game. I can understand limits on playing time etc ut telling a club what position to use them will see big tensions.

Latest posts