• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Is Schonert now qualified?
If the kick chase game was the actual plan then tempted to go

Daly -> Murley
Yeah, he's eligible via an English Grandmother. He's played for the Saxons and made an EPS before, ages ago, but got injured before getting a cap (think it might have been the same Argentina tour that tom curry got his first caps)

My reasoning for keeping Daly is just because he's so versatile and that's a big plus in a RWC squad, but I'd definitely have Murley over him if he's being viewed as solely a winger

I'm curious on opinions, but does anyone believe that SB can actually fix us?

I'm in two camps really, part of me says if he can get increased ruck speed and sort out a little attacking continuity then we could start looking like a dominating force.

But there is also part of me that doesn't think SB has the tools to do the above as he's had a massive time in camp with the lads and they look terrible in most facets of the game. There doesn't seem to be a plan at all and the ruck speed is shocking.

I'm at the point though where I don't want to watch England anymore, just because we are rubbish and boring and I have this sinking fear we are going to mess it all up. I can't be the only one feeling like that.

Last edited:
I'm curious on opinions, but does anyone believe that SB can actually fix us?

I'm in two camps really, part of me says if he can get increased ruck speed and sort out a little attacking continuity then we could start looking like a dominating force.

But there is also part of me that doesn't think SB has the tools to do the above as he's had a massive time in camp with the lads and they look terrible in most facets of the game. There doesn't seem to be a plan at all and the ruck speed is shocking.

I'm at the point though where I don't want to watch the England anymore, just because we are rubbish and boring and I have this sinking fear we are going to mess it all up. I can't be the only one feeling like that.
No.

If he had experienced coaches with international experience around him possibly. But he's surrounded himself the likes of Wigglesworth and Sinfield who are inexperienced even at club level.

I just can't remember feeling this bad even under Eddy.

Are defence is leaking tries and are attack is averaging 12pts a game over the last five.

No i don't think he can turn it around. I just hope someone in the squad steps up surely they know that everyone thinks they are appallingly mediocre.

The feeling of not wanting to watch anymore really resonates with me. I love this Rugby team, I really do, and I have a relatively high threshold for dire games but I can't stand to watch such good players become so toothless and robotic in the national shirt. Game after game of such frustration I've become numb to it. I sit there with my son in our England stash. Numb.

Lovely guys but, Borthers out.

Yeah, he's eligible via an English Grandmother. He's played for the Saxons and made an EPS before, ages ago, but got injured before getting a cap (think it might have been the same Argentina tour that tom curry got his first caps)

My reasoning for keeping Daly is just because he's so versatile and that's a big plus in a RWC squad, but I'd definitely have Murley over him if he's being viewed as solely a winger
Agree on versatility, but isnt that the issue, no one really knows plan A, ket alone plan B

No.

If he had experienced coaches with international experience around him possibly. But he's surrounded himself the likes of Wigglesworth and Sinfield who are inexperienced even at club level.
Thought they might have fresh ideas, but feel that Wiggy is still too close to many players and Sinfield has not had the time to watch how the international game runs

Thought they might have fresh ideas, but feel that Wiggy is still too close to many players and Sinfield has not had the time to watch how the international game runs
I think its impossible to know if wiggy has fresh ideas. I think Borthwick is very much my way or the high way and doesnt want much questioning from his assitant. Look at what he had nick evans putting out in terms of attack... look at the differnce ina. wiggy led attack pre brothwick leaving and post at leicester. He has surrounded himself with an echo chamber rather than go and get the best most experienced for the job, wich if you are spending that much you need to be getting.

Being adaptable to your player base is the single most important skill for an international coach, borthwick isnt, and appears to not let his assistant be either.

Wouldnt matter who was in there the game plan would remain turgid as long as borthwick remains fixed in his thinking, like I mentioned, we had the most throw it about coach in the english game leading the attack and we still played dross.

Bortwick took the kicking stat and used it as a goal rather than understanding its a result of a game plan, not the foundation of it.

As for sinfield, I think he has the potential to be a good coach, but how you hire him after 2 years in club rugby, when you have someone with a similair background but a far longer and more impressive resume in forshaw and overlook him and let him walk to wales is beyond me. Borthwick wanted yes men, he got them.

8 / 9 / 10 / 12

4 critical positions that should work together....and out of those three...8 / 9 and 12 we don't have a player....and at 10 we don't know who to pick from 3 good players.

Sums it up for me as you can say this for the majority of the team.

8 / 9 / 10 / 12

4 critical positions that should work together....and out of those three...8 / 9 and 12 we don't have a player....and at 10 we don't know who to pick from 3 good players.

Sums it up for me as you can say this for the majority of the team.
The 3 at 10 are also confused selections, almost as though Smith went because SB was scared of backlash.
I would have been happy if he said our gameplan is 'A' and Smith does not fit into it.
May not like it, but would show he knew what he wanted.

The 3 at 10 are also confused selections, almost as though Smith went because SB was scared of backlash.
I would have been happy if he said our gameplan is 'A' and Smith does not fit into it.
May not like it, but would show he knew what he wanted.
Exactly...each will probably require a change in tactics or support players...

Ive tried to be very positive...but im just finding it a bit difficult at the moment.

Exactly...each will probably require a change in tactics or support players...

Ive tried to be very positive...but im just finding it a bit difficult at the moment.
I feel the same.

I'm clinging on to the (wildly unrealistic) thought that this is all an elaborate rope a dope charade to fool the world in to thinking we're terrible.

I obviously don't believe that is the case, but if we can pull something out of the bag against Argentina, I do think that could be the catalyst we need. Here's hoping anyway.

Times today, using headline
'No improvement and Japan or Samoa could beat us'

I have contention with this
No improvement and Japan AND Samoa will beat us

I feel the same.

I'm clinging on to the (wildly unrealistic) thought that this is all an elaborate rope a dope charade to fool the world in to thinking we're terrible.

I obviously don't believe that is the case, but if we can pull something out of the bag against Argentina, I do think that could be the catalyst we need. Here's hoping anyway.
Yeah...the faint string of hope is that SB did turn the Tigers around in a very well oiled and physical machine. Maybe i hoped too much and its too ambitious for him to achieve that just yet...maybe 6n and summer/ autumn games next year we might see more of the results we want...if hes still in the job.

He needs a clear out of the players post WC aswell mind....

What we saying about the line up v Fiji?

Does he rest some of the RWC "starters" he has pencilled in (I'd argue none of them should be pencilled in after these 3 tepid performances!!), or for the sake of his own career can he afford to risk a Twickenham Fiji loss on his resume?

What we saying about the line up v Fiji?

Does he rest some of the RWC "starters" he has pencilled in (I'd argue none of them should be pencilled in after these 3 tepid performances!!), or for the sake of his own career can he afford to risk a Twickenham Fiji loss on his resume?
I can't see that he can do other than play the side he envisages against Arg. The warm ups have been such a sh*t show that whatever passes for our first choice needs time together to gel - I mean they obviously won't, but the theory's sound.

The Arg game is looking less like a trip wire and more like Becher's Brook with every week that passes.

Latest posts