• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I've not even seen any info on the saints forum. No idea if he's actually played for the rams second team or anything or even a feeder club. Just radio silence.

To be honest I've no idea if he is even a rugby player any more.

I've not even seen any info on the saints forum. No idea if he's actually played for the rams second team or anything or even a feeder club. Just radio silence.

To be honest I've no idea if he is even a rugby player any more.
It's all very strange.

Literally the only mention of him on the Black Rams' website is the announcement of him arriving and the announcement of him leaving

As we prepare for our warm up games, what type of team are we expecting to see.

We've got

Wales away
Wales at home
Ireland away
Fiji at home

As the team is so unsettled is it basically a first team for each game with only 1 or 2 trial players in each? Or maybe stronger teams away and experimental ones at home?

Personally I'd go option 1 and basically have my first team out for all games with 1-3 players rotated each game to see how they go. I think it will be hard to get much continuity otherwise.

Borthwick doesn't strike me as the kind of coach to experiment too heavily, but at this stage in his coaching career it's hard to really know what he's going to do - especially as there are multiple positions without a clear first choice
Six Nations side plus a few changes sounds about right, maybe with an aim to have the same side out for Wales home and Ireland away, and then rotating more for Fiji at home

Everyone will need a run out one way or another. But fundamentally he's going to have to choose his team and stick with it for better or worse - at this stage trying to engrain systems, style and cohesion is probably more important than individual selections.

Well the final 6 nations side was:

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Ribbans
6. Ludlam
7. Willis
8. Dombrant
9. JVP
10. Farrell
11. Arundell
12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Watson
15.Freddie

I think the positions up for grabs are:

5 - ribbans was only there due to Chessums injury. Does big Martin come in or Hill again?
678 - Tom curry comes back in but not sure at all what Borthwick will do with the other 2 positions.

11 - I think Murley will come in and partner Watson but depends on how May performs in camp.

The bench will see the biggest change I think but depends on his tactics. I'd go for impact:

Theo
Marler
Stuart
Lawes
Willis/ mercer
Care
Smith
Arundell

Borthwick doesn't strike me as the kind of coach to experiment too heavily, but at this stage in his coaching career it's hard to really know what he's going to do - especially as there are multiple positions without a clear first choice
Six Nations side plus a few changes sounds about right, maybe with an aim to have the same side out for Wales home and Ireland away, and then rotating more for Fiji at home

Pretty much this, Borthwick doesn't have the luxury of having basically a year free shot to see who works like he did at Tigers

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Ribbans
6. Ludlam
7. Willis
8. Dombrant
9. JVP
10. Farrell
11. Arundell
12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Watson
15.Freddie

5 - ribbans was only there due to Chessums injury. Does big Martin come in or Hill again?
678 - Tom curry comes back in but not sure at all what Borthwick will do with the other 2 positions.

11 - I think Murley will come in and partner Watson but depends on how May performs in camp.

The bench will see the biggest change I think but depends on his tactics. I'd go for impact:

Theo
Marler
Stuart
Lawes
Willis/ mercer
Care
Smith
Arundell
5 up for grabs.

That back row could change entirely.

Question marks at 9 surely

I guess Manu / Slade if Lawrence not fit or does Daly come into the reckoning?

11 up for grabs.

speaking of odd situations ... Mallinder is only eclipsed by Cory Hill.... who apparently is playing in the 4th division of Japan... Secom Ragats, after leaving Yokohama Canon Eagles... odd.

He knows the style we'll play so go with the core who'll play best in that style for every game - we have to build familiarity.

Outside of the core he can trial the best fit players.

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Ribbans
6. Ludlam
7. Willis
8. Dombrant
9. JVP
10. Farrell
11. Arundell
12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Watson
15.Freddie

Theo
Marler
Stuart
Lawes
Willis/ mercer
Care
Smith
Arundell
Yeah, I agree with almost all of this. If Chessum doesn't make it, Ribbans has probably done enough to keep the shirt, but I think Borthwick likes Hill and Martin will also be in with a shout.

On the back row, Curry comes back in to the side for sure, probably at the expense of Ludlam, but I can also see a possible return for Lawes. Pearson should get a run out at least from the bench.

Re. 11, I think Murley and Cokanasiga will both get a chance with May there as the fall back options/experienced head if neither takes their chance.

1 Genge
2 George

3 (Sinkler v Stuart: starting alternative games)
4 Itoje
5 Ribbans
(But Hill and Martin Getting gametime)
6 (Lawes v Pearson v Willis v Underhill)
7 Curry
8 (Dombrandt v Willis)

9 Care
10 Ford

11 (Murley v Cokasaniga)
12 Farrell
13 (Slade v Marchant v Manu v Lawrence)
14 Watson
15 Steward

I think something like this. In bold are the core that will play all the games or near enough....and the others are the ones he'll look at in different games.

1 Genge
2 George

3 (Sinkler v Stuart: starting alternative games)
4 Itoje
5 Ribbans
(But Hill and Martin Getting gametime)
6 (Lawes v Pearson v Willis v Underhill)
7 Curry
8 (Dombrandt v Willis)

9 Care
10 Ford

11 (Murley v Cokasaniga)
12 Farrell
13 (Slade v Marchant v Manu v Lawrence)
14 Watson
15 Steward

I think something like this. In bold are the core that will play all the games or near enough....and the others are the ones he'll look at in different games.

Why would Care be the core???
He has a shot of starting but to put him on the same level as all the other players in bold

Because Youngs shouldnt be there, JVP has gone backwards....so it leaves Care whos seems to be the type of 9 SB is looking for going on the snippets i keep hearing.

Latest posts