• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Have a feeling he will kick on in the lights of England/Sarries players being unavailable. But then i did say this about Charlie Atkinson and he seems to be stuck in Leicester atm.
A converted fly half!

Can think of worse traits than running hard in a straight line and tackling like a tank. And very strong leadership credentials which we lack. He's only 36, reckon he could get fit over the summer? 😀

Is he Will Greenwood in disguise? Does he dye his hair blonde?

We're bandying around all kinds of names and it's great to see some potential at 12. But none of the up and comers have yet made a really persuasive case to be the succession plan.

Ethan Grayson got released I think. I seem to remember he's going to Ealing?

I'm hoping Hayden Hyde at Quins settles at 12. IMO, he has the frame and the skill set to be the long term replacement for Esterhuizen and with Will Joseph's arrival he'd be at best 4th choice 13 (behind Joseph, Northmore, Anyanwu and probably Beard too)z

Anyanwu is predominately a 12 isnt he? dont think he has the raw pace for 13

A converted fly half!

Can think of worse traits than running hard in a straight line and tackling like a tank. And very strong leadership credentials which we lack. He's only 36, reckon he could get fit over the summer? 😀
Brad and Manu back playing -that's blast from the past. Only if they can play like they did v ABs in 2012.

We're bandying around all kinds of names and it's great to see some potential at 12. But none of the up and comers have yet made a really persuasive case to be the succession plan.
Yeah...this season coming is a huge one for most of the names ive listed above as they need to be establishing themselves as first choice for their club...and really putting in performances that mean Farrell isnt the default.

True but he's highly skilled too. Think his development at Sarries will be very strong. Will be interesting to see how he
I mean it's inside centre size isn't everything

Reality is unless you are Manu it's generally low priority
Well seems to work for SA and NZ.
a good big'n will be better than a good small one, however a poor big one would be worse than a good small one.... Manu????
balances into that Sarries midfield with Farrell playing 10

Yeah Anyanwu definitely strikes me as a 12. From what I can see he's only played 1 pro game at 13 and it's because he was paired with Esterhuizen who is the 12iest 12 to ever 12.
Actually, no. I think his preferred position is 13. He played most of his first team games at 12 early last season because Andre was unavailable.

I think he was primarily used at 13 in the academy and when he was DR'd with London Scottish.

Yeah...this season coming is a huge one for most of the names ive listed above as they need to be establishing themselves as first choice for their club...and really putting in performances that mean Farrell isnt the default.
Yep. Kelly and Seb Atkinson are the only ones with a significant amount of game time. Ojomoh seems very in and out with Bath and Hartley hasn't played much for Saracens yet (not really surprising given it was a mid season move).

Yep. Kelly and Seb Atkinson are the only ones with a significant amount of game time. Ojomoh seems very in and out with Bath and Hartley hasn't played much for Saracens yet (not really surprising given it was a mid season move).
Ojomoh's got to get himself ahead of Redpath.
If he can succeed at that, then he should be pretty-much straight into the England team, because Redpath is excellent (and should have been offered England caps at the same time as he was offered Scottish ones, and made him actually make a decision).

Yeh from an England pov I don't mind players having to be better than internationals to get past

Obviously they need game time and chances but to be considered ahead it's a good marker

Yeah at the moment Atkinson could leapfrog Kelly if he keeps his performances up (and improve) and Kelly continues to be injured for England meet ups.

Hartley is causing some hope for a number of reasons. Hes a big unit, but he has some considerable skills. Hes only played cup games for Saracens so far but showed enough in those to give hope...and we know in general how good Saracens are at developing their kids. Its encouraging for Tom Willis development also.

Im disappointed that Ethan Grayson has been released...he impressed me in the age groups for England etc...and also at 6'4 has the size. But you never know, lots of talent is being released at the moment due to financial issues and squad restrictions...so maybe he can really develop at his next club.

Atkinson didn't look very good at the end of the season, tbf
Then again Gloucester in general didn't
Only his second season of senior rugby, but I'd say he's a pretty significant way off - maybe gets a look in when we have the mixed up squad during the Lions summer?

Based on this summer's squad he doesn't have to leapfrog Kelly as Kelly isn't in the mix anymore, so who knows what the pecking order is

Atkinson didn't look very good at the end of the season, tbf
Then again Gloucester in general didn't
Only his second season of senior rugby, but I'd say he's a pretty significant way off - maybe gets a look in when we have the mixed up squad during the Lions summer?

Based on this summer's squad he doesn't have to leapfrog Kelly as Kelly isn't in the mix anymore, so who knows what the pecking order is

Er I feel like Kelly will be in the mix post RWC I just feel that Borthwick has decided he wants a ball carrier 12 for the RWC because it's the simplest game plan

Manu crashes off set piece ball, Ford/Farrell kick

Repeat

Er I feel like Kelly will be in the mix post RWC I just feel that Borthwick has decided he wants a ball carrier 12 for the RWC because it's the simplest game plan

Manu crashes off set piece ball, Ford/Farrell kick

Repeat
I hope you're right, and really with the way that Kelly has been playing he deserves to be there, but to not make the training squad now suggests to me he's down the pecking order for the time being
Part of it might be what happens with Manu post RWC - I reckon it's his last hurrar for England, either he retires from international afterwards or he gets dropped

Actually, no. I think his preferred position is 13. He played most of his first team games at 12 early last season because Andre was unavailable.

I think he was primarily used at 13 in the academy and when he was DR'd with London Scottish.
Nah mate, was both coming through the academy but they bulked him up and played him pretty exclusively at 12 for Richmond (watch his highlights YouTube and hes almost always in 12)

The umbro partnership is so odd,
The latest training pictures they're in Botswana football shirts

Looking at previous U20's when we last won the world cup in 2016
England: M Malins; S Aspland-Robinson, J Marchant, J Williams, M Gallagher; H Mallinder, M Green; L Boyce, J Singleton, B Walker; S South, H Taylor; G Nott, W Evans, C Chick.

Mallinder obvious the oddest one, thought playing in Japan might be the making of him but leaving after 2 years without playing a single game of rugby is odd.

without playing a single game of rugby is odd
Wtf, for real?
Guessing a long term injury?

Seems the kind of player Ealing would pay out for, but if he's got no knees or whatever...

Edit: just seen an article from when he left saints and it says it's in his contract that they get first refusal when his Japanese contract runs out before the 23/24 season - awkward if they don't bring him back

Wtf, for real?
Guessing a long term injury?

Seems the kind of player Ealing would pay out for, but if he's got no knees or whatever...

Edit: just seen an article from when he left saints and it says it's in his contract that they get first refusal when his Japanese contract runs out before the 23/24 season - awkward if they don't bring him back
It's an odd story, isn't it ?
Have to see if we have him back or not when his contract is up.

Latest posts