• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

For whatever reason Mitchell divides opinions. Some of my pals feel he drifts in and out of games too much. he doesnt dominate as he should. Again just opinions...but one that might be shared by Jones and now Borthwick.

Kelly just cant seem to get fit for an England shirt. Played 23 times this season i believe...but as soon as England come calling hes injured. Its like James Simpson Daniel all over again.

Mercer...well thats an odd one. Clearly he didnt impress the coaches as much as Dombrandt and Willis did.

Pearson is clearly impressing everyone in camp.

Yeah, I don't think Mitchell is the future of the 9 shirt for England or anything, but he was comfortably our best 9 in the 6N and was in decent club form at the end of the season - to be dropped entirely just seems pretty crazy
Kelly's fit now, and in pre-season, why does Billy get a free pass on being injured? He even had an additional surgery while in England camp - it's mad

Borthwick's selections are just very confusing

For whatever reason Mitchell divides opinions. Some of my pals feel he drifts in and out of games too much. he doesnt dominate as he should. Again just opinions...but one that might be shared by Jones and now Borthwick.

Kelly just cant seem to get fit for an England shirt. Played 23 times this season i believe...but as soon as England come calling hes injured. Its like James Simpson Daniel all over again.

Mercer...well thats an odd one. Clearly he didnt impress the coaches as much as Dombrandt and Willis did.

Pearson is clearly impressing everyone in camp.
Do England have a 9 that dominates a game?

The criticisms i have seen of Mitchell are the same as those aimed at Dombrandt and Simmons etc

All are great at club level because they play a system that fits them really well. International systems and a Tigers style of rugby just doesn't necessarily fit them as well
Teams that thrive on flair and chaos not the play by the numbers systems.

The problem i have had with England is the lack of heads up rugby. It's so rigid, if this happens we do this, in the 22 we do this. How many time do we butcher overlaps etc because are system requires a grubber rather than playing what's on.

Yeah, I don't think Mitchell is the future of the 9 shirt for England or anything, but he was comfortably our best 9 in the 6N and was in decent club form at the end of the season - to be dropped entirely just seems pretty crazy
Kelly's fit now, and in pre-season, why does Billy get a free pass on being injured? He even had an additional surgery while in England camp - it's mad

Borthwick's selections are just very confusing
Well thats curious. Borthwick is clearly a Kelly fan as he put him in everytime he was fit for the Tigers and was his ***le winning 12. So it would suggest theres a ? over his fitness or something.

Abslut
A big Owen-Farrell-Wearing-The-12-Shirt shaped question mark :p
lol yeah it would appear like that...however still maintain SB is a big fan of Kelly so i cant see why he wouldnt pick him...unless there is something wrong.

Others will have seen a lot more of Kelly than me, but my take is that he's been good but not so good that he's battered down the door absolutely demanding selection.

If Manu, Lawrence and Farrell are fit they travel and are all 12 options in different ways. Slade will also go and is a Plan D emergency option. You can see Plan A as being a Manu and Lawrence combo and, fitnes permitting, I wouldn't object to that.

A
Others will have seen a lot more of Kelly than me, but my take is that he's been good but not so good that he's battered down the door absolutely demanding selection.

If Manu, Lawrence and Farrell are fit they travel and are all 12 options in different ways. Slade will also go and is a Plan D emergency option. You can see Plan A as being a Manu and Lawrence combo and, fitnes permitting, I wouldn't object to that.
Not sure Lawrence will make it. My understanding is at least 6 weeks physio that would take him to the first week of Aug. You have the Wales game then squad due to be announced around the 7th Aug.
Not sure if it's a risk or not, but the race is on to get him fit.

When has Kelly been available for England and not injured or recovering from injury....

Latest posts