• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

For England? Yes, compared to club form and other players at least - I'd say average, rather than poor, but average isn't good enough when there are alternatives that need testing.

His stats, with the leaders underneath,
Ironically, considering the outcome, the France game was his best game - in theory you'd say he's part of a balanced backrow with the Flankers doing all the tackling, but it didn't really look that way in reality,

Don't really know what the 8s role is with England, though, if they're not tackling much and not carrying more?

vs Scotland:
4 tackles (1 miss), 64m
Curry 13 tackles, Ludlam 77m

vs Ireland:
10 tackles (2 missed), 31m
Willis 22 tackles, Ludlam 39m

vs Italy:
9 tackles (2 missed), 70m
Ludlam 22 tackles, Chessum 37m

vs Wales:
6 tackles (1 missed), 56m
Itoje 17 tackles, Genge 61m

vs France:
13 tackles (1missed), 44m
Ludlam 12 tackles, Ludlam 27m
Is there any other stats, such as rucks (attacking / defensive) , turnovers etc.

Im not a Dombrandt fan by the way...just think he wasnt as bad as many are saying primarily as i thought he did more of the dirty work rather than the flashy stuff he does for quins. But maybe the stats will show im wrong.

He'll be up against Ludlam and Earl for 6/7 cover,
Ludlam has tons of credit in the bank after the 6N

Probably come down to Earl vs Pearson for the final spot, with it going to whoever has the best warmup series - but will they even get proper game time or will Borthwick use it to try and gel his RWC starting side together?
Ludlum will go and i think Earl will miss out for Pearson.

SB is creaming himself over his physical exerts in training...but he also has alot of skills. That combo "should" take him past most of our flankers / back rowers.

Is there any other stats, such as rucks (attacking / defensive) , turnovers etc.

Im not a Dombrandt fan by the way...just think he wasnt as bad as many are saying primarily as i thought he did more of the dirty work rather than the flashy stuff he does for quins. But maybe the stats will show im wrong.
You've also got to consider that England's attack is so disjointed that his strengths weren't being used properly.

No ruck stats but:

vs Ireland:
0 turnovers, 0 broken tackles, 0 handling errors/knockons
Willis 1 turnover, Ribbans 2 broken tackles, Willis 2 he/kon

vs Scotland:
1 turnover, 0 broken tackles, 5 he/kon
Itoje 1 turnover, Chessum 1 broken tackle, Chessum/Ludlam 1 he/kon

vs Italy:
2 turnovers, 3 broken tackles, 4 he/kon
Ludlam/Itoje/Willis 1 turnover, Walker 1 broken tackle, Itoje/Chessum/Ludlam 2 he/kon

vs Wales:
0 turnovers, 1 broken tackle, 2 he/kon
Ludlam/Willis/Curry 1 turnover, Chessum/Ludlam 1 broken tackle, Itoje 2 he/kon

vs France:
0 turnovers, 1 broken tackle, 2 he/kon
Itoje 2 turnovers, Chessam/Ludlam 1 broken tackle, Ludlam 3 he/kon

Again: not terrible when compared to the rest of the side, but not enough to ensure that he's untouchable in the 8 shirt,
I don't think incumbency should count for anything when you've so few caps and none of them were standout

Last edited:
Hmmm the stats dont sing a great tune, i thought he had more turnovers than that actually. I do think the handling errors are down to timing issues with the England attack. That should be fixed this summer camp.

Either way...hes on his last chance now...so we'll see if the set up will work for him and he can show off his game...or he'll not be in post world cup.

I think you missed the Word "IF"

Logic would also suggest it is a personality issue. Given that we talking about statistically the best 8 in Europe at present
I think we all knew that SB would eventually replace Eddie, and we all had an idea of the type of game plan he would implement ie hard edged pack, little flair in attack but we'd become difficult to beat rather than exciting to watch. We also know the type of player he likes and I don't think it's fair on coach or player to speculate on personality issues that we have no idea about, it's certainly not logical as you suggest.

Begs the question on the colour of the alternate kit. Last RWC was red, most recent was black....... It's going to be purple again isn't it......................... Some sh#t about being regal and for the king. Also as a subtle dig at the Madam Guillotine French. I should do Umbro's PR.

I liked the blue kit with the red but down the outside. Can't remember what year it was from though.

Edit like this one. Although I remember it being less grey and more blue. IMG_3383.png

New training and travel kit announced.

I wonder if that ladies kit on the bottom left is actually the main England shirt, red with a red swirl straight from 2007!

IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3386.jpeg

Like the training kit,
Hopefully our playing kit is boring tbh, i'll take that over that squiggle country map thing
Will our away kit be black, because of the new colour blindness rules? Everyone has to have a white away kit, but our home is white so we have the inverse? Or is that just prem?

Also to point out, clearly Bordeaux agreed with Tom Willis. Funny that...
...agreed what?

Like the training kit,
Hopefully our playing kit is boring tbh, i'll take that over that squiggle country map thing
Will our away kit be black, because of the new colour blindness rules? Everyone has to have a white away kit, but our home is white so we have the inverse? Or is that just prem?

...agreed what?
Sorry as in clearly playing rugby is south of france in the sun suited him, same as Mercer. Both haven taken game to another level.

Sorry as in clearly playing rugby is south of france in the sun suited him, same as Mercer. Both haven taken game to another level.
Oooooh, I getya haha
I thought you meant they'd agreed an early release or something 😅

Latest posts