• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I foresee an England come back in this WC, plus an enough easy pool.
They can reach the semi without loosing too many feathers.

Another minor surgery for Binny. Won't be able to play in any warm up games and now a real doubt whether he'll be fit in time, if there wasn't before.

Opta charts on the backrowers:

2oIV0Hj.jpeg

Opta charts on the backrowers:

2oIV0Hj.jpeg
Yet another time that I'm surprised at Ted Hill not bring that impressive on the stat sheet...

Eventually I think I'm just going to have to concede that he may be one of those players that looks better than they actually are

Yet another time that I'm surprised at Ted Hill not bring that impressive on the stat sheet...

Eventually I think I'm just going to have to concede that he may be one of those players that looks better than they actually are
Yeah, I'd been telling myself he must be hitting every ruck available - but according to those he's in the stands having a pint for most of the game

Tackles vs Tackle dominance stat is funny - he's made one tackle all season but he literally cut the guy in half when doing it

Interesting that his 2 big scores are the eye catching bits.
People notice dominant tackles more than sheer number of tackles, and generally notice when a backrow is taking lineout ball - especially if it's the opposition's lineout ball.

Yeah, I'd been telling myself he must be hitting every ruck available - but according to those he's in the stands having a pint for most of the game

Tackles vs Tackle dominance stat is funny - he's made one tackle all season but he literally cut the guy in half when doing it
Those stats cant be right....

Interesting that it's only really the locks there hitting any attacking ducks while the pure back rowers are hardly hitting any.

Also don't love how little lineout ball Martin is taking. If he's gonna be considered as a lock he could do with bumping that up, really.

That Curry doesn't do line outs - bin him I say!

Pearson's all round game looks strong.

And whatever is meant by attacking rucks we're not very good at them apart from Pearson and the 2 Saracens locks.

Isn't the whole point about Martin that he doesn't just tackle a lot, but hits hard?

Fully paid up stat sceptic, don't believe a lot of this, but still some useful pointers.

Interesting that it's only really the locks there hitting any attacking ducks while the pure back rowers are hardly hitting any.

Also don't love how little lineout ball Martin is taking. If he's gonna be considered as a lock he could do with bumping that up, really.

It's weird stats because it looks like it's only looking at Martin's games in the backrow, but looking at Itoje's games at lock
Maybe if you mixed in Martin's lock games it bumps it up - honestly not sure, never really paid attention to him in the lineout
He last played backrow in December, and it's really been since the 6N where he's looked noticeably better with each game

It's weird stats because it looks like it's only looking at Martin's games in the backrow, but looking at Itoje's games at lock
Maybe if you mixed in Martin's lock games it bumps it up - honestly not sure, never really paid attention to him in the lineout
He last played backrow in December, and it's really been since the 6N where he's looked noticeably better with each game
Good point, hadn't noticed that only Itoje was having his game time at lock included.

"This Rose" episode 1 is out to watch for anyone who enjoyed the "The Next Level" series. First two weeks of the world cup training camp.
Just watched it, good insight:

I hope Ewells comes back from his injury a new player because he comes across really well in the video, just never on the pitch

Im really struggling to believe these stats

Ben Earl, Ludlum, Curry and Underhill ....no attacking rucks...about 3 between them?
Jack Willis - so few tackles?
Ted Hill and Courtney lawes - almost zero tackles??
etc etc
Nah...something amiss here...

Im really struggling to believe these stats

Ben Earl, Ludlum, Curry and Underhill ....no attacking rucks...about 3 between them?
Jack Willis - so few tackles?
Ted Hill and Courtney lawes - almost zero tackles??
etc etc
Nah...something amiss here...
They're comparisons rather than numbers - so just arbitrary charts to show that X took a lot of lineouts compared to other backrows, and Y took less compared to everyone else
There was a post a few pages ago that had numbers rather than figures and Hill's were poor tbf, think he was last in every one, so that's why his charts are showing essentially zero tackles, zero turnovers etc.

Opta are the most legit stats company out there, I've no reason to doubt their stats (though I do wish they'd release the data rather than these graphs, so we can actually see what's gone on)

Edit: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/england-world-cup-squad.49003/page-3#post-1132152

Some of it does back up what I've seen from my own eyes though - Lawes passing a lot (too much) and Martin not jumping too much.

Willis stats are from the T14. I don't believe his tackle numbers are particularly low, although with his turnovers, defensive ruck and jackal numbers all so good, perhaps there has been a deliberate tactic to leave the initial hit to others and for him to be 2nd man in?

Latest posts