• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

True enough, I think I'm just conditioned, after years of EJ, to only expect 2 x 9s

Looking at MarkyH's squad I guess you lose Pearson for a tighthead and then Murley for an additional 9

We don't know what caused the Lawrence / Walker injuries but it sounds like the emphasis at the moment is heavily on fitness.

Borthwick has gone on the record to say that he was disappointed in the conditioning of the squad. That makes criticism of pretty much every aspect of what he inherited, so he's at least ahead of the curve in getting his excuses in early.

While Borthwick may think that gives him a bit of a free pass it also increases the pressure on him as you expect a new person to have a degree of immediate impact. If things can only get better and they don't….

We don't know what caused the Lawrence / Walker injuries but it sounds like the emphasis at the moment is heavily on fitness.

Borthwick has gone on the record to say that he was disappointed in the conditioning of the squad. That makes criticism of pretty much every aspect of what he inherited, so he's at least ahead of the curve in getting his excuses in early.

While Borthwick may think that gives him a bit of a free pass it also increases the pressure on him as you expect a new person to have a degree of immediate impact. If things can only get better and they don't….
Not sure if it's an excuse preparations as such, I have had questions over the fitness /falling off in the later stages for a while now, It could equally be a coaching tactic to slightly shame the team to get them to pick it up, the fact that the majority of prem teams are not really competitive in the Champions cup again may speak of inferior fitness as much as anything.

Whats peoples thoughts on Dingwall?
Like him, fits well into the Saints style of attack and play. Creative, playing what you see etc. Probably doesn't fit with the England style of attack if you can define one. Certainly others above him in the pecking order. As already pointed out.

Not sure if it's an excuse preparations as such, I have had questions over the fitness /falling off in the later stages for a while now, It could equally be a coaching tactic to slightly shame the team to get them to pick it up, the fact that the majority of prem teams are not really competitive in the Champions cup again may speak of inferior fitness as much as anything.
We're now decades into the pro era. I seriously struggle to believe that there's really much of a difference in fitness as such between any of the top sides. Maybe some - looking at you, Ire - are better rested, but then again the French do OK off a heavier workload.

In Europe I suspect the player calibre / squad depth is a bigger factor.

In the latter parts of games our bench just hasn't had a great impact, often just making us look more of a disorganised shambles and there has been some pretty dumb use of it - unthinking, pre-ordained or just not e.g Wales.

In the last 2 Ire games we mostly made a good fist of 14 after the Ewels / Steward reds which makes you think the issue is more between the ears than lungs.

None of which is to say we may not be fit enough but if we're not, fixing that would be a quick win, but not a panacea.

Borthwick at Tigers: These players are in as fine a shape as I can mould them, we're champions, we're t!tans, we're untouchable

Borthwick one week later with England: You're all fat lazy c*nts

England Steve might also have have said "Of course I want to pick French based players".

Didn't he also want them to add a load of mass on in the 6 nations as well?

So get fitter and get bigger? I can get on board the get bigger train because mass is mass and we all love mass!!!!

Jones said exactly the same when he first took over... Having said that I've heard that the conditioning of the players at English clubs is more professional than at French clubs (from a player who has been in both) so it's an odd one.

This weeks squad, still no Saracens/Sale players

Forwards
Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears)
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers)
Ted Hill (Bath Rugby)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
George Martin (Leicester Tigers)
Zach Mercer (Montpellier Hérault Rugby)
Tom Pearson (London Irish)
Val Rapava-Ruskin (Gloucester Rugby)
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints)
Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)

Backs
Henry Arundell (London Irish)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints)
Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints)
Cadan Murley (Harlequins)
Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Fin Smith (Northampton Saints)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers)
Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Leicester Tigers)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Binny, Chessum, LCD, Lawrence and Walker still in camp for rehab

Changes:
OUT
Beno Obano
Will Joseph

IN
n/a

Bit disappointed by Obano dropping out but Genge, Marler and VRR is still a strong crop of looseheads.

Don't want to be harsh to a young player but I really don't see why Joseph was in there anyway.

Is Dan Kelly still injured or just not selected? Those backs look drab don't they ? They remind me of the Robinson years 😔

Bit disappointed by Obano dropping out but Genge, Marler and VRR is still a strong crop of looseheads.

Don't want to be harsh to a young player but I really don't see why Joseph was in there anyway.
Yeah, Joseph seemed like an "apprentice" pick, but we don't formally name those anymore

Ditto on Obano, but there must be a reason, maybe his fitness isn't where it needs to be after so long out? Or physios have concerns about reinjury etc.etc.etc.
If fit and on form he's a potential starter IMO

I'm not sure how I feel about Marler being there - I rate him highly as a player but don't know if he can be trusted with his discipline and also with the potential of him pulling himself out of the squad

Latest posts