• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Yeah, Joseph seemed like an "apprentice" pick, but we don't formally name those anymore
Thinking more about it, it's probably not a coincidence that Joseph has dropped out the same week he's signed for Quins. Beforehand it was probably better to keep him in camp rather than him missing out on any training whatsoever, whereas now he can go and get stuck in with Quins preseason.

I'm not sure how I feel about Marler being there - I rate him highly as a player but don't know if he can be trusted with his discipline and also with the potential of him pulling himself out of the squad
Maybe it's just Borthwick keeping his options open. But presumably Marler wouldn't be putting himself through all this over the summer if he was going to rule himself out? It's his last chance and just a short hop over the Channel, not the other side of the world.

Besides all academic when Mako comes into the equation 😀

Wasn't it this season he caused the big boot off in the Bristol game chipping at their flanker who's mom was in hospital?

Wasn't it this season he caused the big boot off in the Bristol game chipping at their flanker who's mom was in hospital?
Yeah that was around Christmas. Tbh I don't think a rude (but likely fairly common) sledge 6 months ago is really grounds to not pick him.

He's been in decent form, not his best, but still good, and he'd definitely be in my 23 with Genge

I may be wrong but I haven't heard someone call someone's mom a whore in a rugby game since I was in high school lol

Dude also shown to have zero commitment to England. Which is a fair personal choice but something that Borthwick is pretty keen on

Regardless of his personality etc....are his performances actually worthy of the spot. I watched a few games and he looked like Sinkler in an England shirt...ie just floating around pondering from one ruck to another when he can be bothered etc.
Not like the old Marler who flew around...and in particular was a beast at the close ruck defence / tackling.

Quins fans can advise better of course.

Despite what you might think because of my avatar, I don't like, condone or excuse what Marler said to Heenan. However, I think it's naive to think similar sledging is anything other than pretty commonplace.

It blew up because of the unknown context with Heenan's mum, Dickson's failure to do anything in real time and Marler's previous with Samson Lee. If Will Collier had said it, I very much doubt it would have got the same coverage.

Regardless of his personality etc....are his performances actually worthy of the spot. I watched a few games and he looked like Sinkler in an England shirt...ie just floating around pondering from one ruck to another when he can be bothered etc.
Not like the old Marler who flew around...and in particular was a beast at the close ruck defence / tackling.

Quins fans can advise better of course.
I can't give any great insight but at the end of the day this is just a training squad. Even if past his very best he's proven at this level and a good strong scrummager. Borthwick's got plenty to fix, so if Marler's available and tuned in it's one less thing for him to have to worry about.

Looking at the hookers feel George and Dan will both get called up

Despite what you might think because of my avatar, I don't like, condone or excuse what Marler said to Heenan. However, I think it's naive to think similar sledging is anything other than pretty commonplace.

It blew up because of the unknown context with Heenan's mum, Dickson's failure to do anything in real time and Marler's previous with Samson Lee. If Will Collier had said it, I very much doubt it would have got the same coverage.

But isn't that part of the problem with him? He does have previous.

I can't give any great insight but at the end of the day this is just a training squad. Even if past his very best he's proven at this level and a good strong scrummager. Borthwick's got plenty to fix, so if Marler's available and tuned in it's one less thing for him to have to worry about.
Very true.

Looking at the hookers feel George and Dan will both get called up

But isn't that part of the problem with him? He does have previous.
He does. As I said, it wasn't intended to be a defence of his behaviour.

He should know that his previous means that any transgression he makes is going to be judged way more harshly than other players. The obvious solution is simply to keep his head down and just play rugby.

"This Rose" episode 1 is out to watch for anyone who enjoyed the "The Next Level" series. First two weeks of the world cup training camp.

Does anyone know when the actual squad is announced with all the sale and sarries players?

Latest posts