• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't happen but Dave Ewers is legitimately in the form of his life at the moment and IMO is playing better rugby than any other English 6.

He's 32 now so it wouldn't exactly be building towards the future but with the RWC next year and Borthwick's affinity for big blindsides, I'd love to see him included. Mental that he's never gotten a cap.
If you want a big physical 6...then Ted Hill is your man...or invest time in George Martin...Ewers is not the answer.

Reactions: BPM
Also.....Irish 7 Pearson playing superb..Explosive, link player, along with Earl (despite red card)...would either be in Borthwick thoughts?

If you want a big physical 6...then Ted Hill is your man...or invest time in George Martin...Ewers is not the answer.
Why not? Martin has an enormous amount of potential but right now I don't think there's any question as to who is the better player out of Ewers and Martin. And with the RWC less than a year away, I'd say that how players are performing right now is far more important than any potential that may or may not come to fruition.

Hill vs Ewers is a much less clear cut case but I'd still say that Ewers is currently playing the slightly better rugby. He's been absolutely monstrous for Chiefs so far this season.

But if you want players now then it's Lawes in that position.
I've been a huge fan of Ewers and IMO England should have bene playing him at 6.
But I'd say his time is done fir England. Its current Lawes...or look to the future with Hill or Martin.

Or Jack Willis....

I mean ignoring the 'big' factor, underhill is a very very physical flanker, as is Willis but would they balance curry at 7?

We shall hopefully see Borthwick restore some balance to the backrow but I guess it all depends on his 8, that sets the tone for the 2 flankers.

I like Martin but you don't say Ewers is over the hill and that Martin will do his job instead

If you put Ewers at 6 the obv have to change Billy at 8.

Ewers is a 6 in the way Simmonds is an 8 and Vermulen(the chiefs one) is a 7.

If you played them
6 Vermulen
7 Simmonds
8 Ewer

But a Ewer at 6 is powerful ball in hand, this allows us to have a Dombrandt/Mercer running smart lines or at shoulders and a Curry/Willis to actually attack the breakdown. Though im not sure Ewers will get a chance.

But honestly my preference is Willis Curry Dombrandt. Not a treditional back row but Willis a is a 7 yet physical tackler and good carrier and still 6 3 so not a bad lineout option.

We do have to many options though atm and good ones.

Lawes Billy(8) Curry
THill Dombrandt Willis
Ewers Simmonds Underhill
Coles Mercer Earl
Martin TWillis Pearson as an uncapped backrow. But the rest are capped internationals and sure ive missed some.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see J.Willis for a while
The RFU are petty and I wouldn't be surprised if their extenuating circumstances for Wuss/Wasps players abroad are under the condition that they're only on short term deals and plan to return to the Prem asap - theres pretty strong rumours that Willis is extending to a multi year deal at Toulouse

Billy really can't be in the 8 conversation anymore. He's really been ineffective at international level for quite some time now. Although Mercer and Dombrant are still unproven albeit they haven't been given a chance.

6. Lawes/ Hill
7. Curry/ underhill
8. Dombrant/ Mercer

With Earl and Simmonds and great bench options.

Then Chessum to take over from Hill at 5 and our pack is starting to look better.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see J.Willis for a while
The RFU are petty and I wouldn't be surprised if their extenuating circumstances for Wuss/Wasps players abroad are under the condition that they're only on short term deals and plan to return to the Prem asap - theres pretty strong rumours that Willis is extending to a multi year deal at Toulouse
Surely, that would be "RFU being petty" so much as "JWillis taking himself out of contention"

Billy really can't be in the 8 conversation anymore. He's really been ineffective at international level for quite some time now. Although Mercer and Dombrant are still unproven albeit they haven't been given a chance.

6. Lawes/ Hill
7. Curry/ underhill
8. Dombrant/ Mercer

With Earl and Simmonds and great bench options.

Then Chessum to take over from Hill at 5 and our pack is starting to look better.
Willis has to be in the conversation at 6/7/20. He has proved himself so many times but he needs timenon an internation stage to nail down a spot. Injury aside id say hed be ahead of 7 or close.

Surely, that would be "RFU being petty" so much as "JWillis taking himself out of contention"
For next season absolutely, not this one (if he'd been told he can go abroad and still be eligible)

It's all hypothetical/guess work anyway- and just me inventing loopholes to get mad about.

I'm 100% in favour of having to play in England to play for England, anywho

I see Marchant is back playing centre today. Could be good timing for Borthwick's first England squad
I really rate Marchant but if its Marchant vs Lawrence id go Lawrence because both a class but 1 wont be available after the WC.

That saint i wouldnt compain if Marchant was picked.

I think you pick who is mostly likely to perform well in a short amount of time. Who has the experience and temperament to come in and perform with little input and can affect games? For me that's Marchant.

There is plenty of time after the world cup to rebuild and look long term. Now is about trying to win the six nations and settling on a squad to compete well in the world cup.

Yup,
I'd probably take both but if we're taking one and only one to the RWC then it'd be Marchant for me atm

Yup,
I'd probably take both but if we're taking one and only one to the RWC then it'd be Marchant for me atm

Think if Borthwick was in charge earlier then Marchant wouldn't have signed for Stade Francais?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts