• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's a single universe where the top 14 sides would agree to that

I think protectanism is a bit out of fear than anything else, clearing the pipeline of club players opens up options for youth, who as we see in most cases are just as good, clubs just dont risk it. The club game would survive just as it did with every other change, just with new faces.

I think a sabbatical system of like a year abroad makes the most sense personally, as to many fans are opposed to selecting non-English-based players, so it's a middle ground. French teams would still be for it because a lot of them are going for gold every season and are happy to retool every year.

If rugby was healthy, (and that is where we should be aiming for), players should be choosing to stay here rather than being forced to out of fear their international career is dead in the water otherwise. I dont doubt frances success is in part due to their players playing against world class players week in week out, competition level is just higher.

I don't think there's a single universe where the top 14 sides would agree to that
True, mostly because what do they get out fo the deal? Their players are playing the best around regardless, and their system of player development is obviously working.

Not necessarily. Unfortunately McFarland out for the season with an ACL injury suffered in training.
Ah ****, that's awful news. Will be interesting to see what Sarries do. Christie's a solid player but he doesn't really fit the Sarries 6 mould so I imagine they will opt to shift one of Isiekwe or Itoje back there. But which one?

Im pretty sure your right here tbh, i doubt they'd go for it but if they did they would get players playing in a different environment which is as beneficial as our players over there.

Ah ****, that's awful news. Will be interesting to see what Sarries do. Christie's a solid player but he doesn't really fit the Sarries 6 mould so I imagine they will opt to shift one of Isiekwe or Itoje back there. But which one?
Itoje fits better in my opinion, smaller and does more at the ruck.

On the 12 issue, isn't there a rugby league offload merchant that we could pluck at the beginning of the next cycle? Kind of like sam burgess but without having to do the conversion in 6 months.

I jest, but Kelly's injury history is a worry for 12 and he is pretty much the only really promising one I can see being close to wolrd XV level in the prem currently.
Joking aside. I would love to see Herbie Farnworth in Union. Looks a cracking player

That's very certain. How come? I guess he is the most experienced 13 we have.
Because he's the best defensive 13 and a playmaker. Not my choice but I just think SB will go for rock solid defence first and then adapt the personnel...

Well I'll go totally against what I said...despite still believing Slade IS the best defensive 13. I think Lawrence needs to start

Backs for 6n.
9 JVP
10 Farrell
11 OHC
12 Kelly
13 Lawrence
14 Watson...if out then Cokasaniga
15 Steward

Well I'll go totally against what I said...despite still believing Slade IS the best defensive 13. I think Lawrence needs to start

Backs for 6n.
9 JVP
10 Farrell
11 OHC
12 Kelly
13 Lawrence
14 Watson...if out then Cokasaniga
15 Steward
Why Cokanasiga? Is he playing that well? Id still be inclined to give Murley a shot. Aswell as Freeman. We do have some great sing options though i have to say.

I still hope Arundell comes back amd has plenty of time to make a case even if its at 23. Wildcard pick though.

I'm always a fan of having one hard-running, power winger and one second-fullback type winger. With 50:22s now around I think the role of that second-fullback has become even more important, so I definitely wouldn't ever be going for OHC and Cokanasiga together.

For me it's:
11. OHC vs Cokanasiga vs Murley
14. Watson vs Freeman vs Arundell

RFU are sticking to their 5 change policy, too - though with the numbers of injuries in the league atm I imagine that loosens the reigns a bit (i.e. Cole in for Stuart)

RFU are sticking to their 5 change policy, too - though with the numbers of injuries in the league atm I imagine that loosens the reigns a bit (i.e. Cole in for Stuart)
Also worth noting, the 5 change policy is for the EPS squad, not the match-day playing squad; whereas the French based players (for example) wouldn't have any of the EPS bonuses anyway, so no need to waste an EPS spot on them. And which ought to count against them when it comes to match-day selection.

I'm always a fan of having one hard-running, power winger and one second-fullback type winger. With 50:22s now around I think the role of that second-fullback has become even more important, so I definitely wouldn't ever be going for OHC and Cokanasiga together.

For me it's:
11. OHC vs Cokanasiga vs Murley
14. Watson vs Freeman vs Arundell
Interesting I see Freeman and OHC as a mix of both...pace and size.

I'd love Radwan in there buts he's quite badly out of form at the moment.

There's just so many wingers who we could make claims for at the moment when they're in form...I'm a big fan of Thorley and Sleightholme..

Just need to get the right balance and feed them good ball.

A few saints players put their hands up today...Ribbans again excellent in that engine room

Agree with Austin Heally aswell...Sam Vesty is an excellent attack coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts