• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Injury replacements.
I think it's less about Borthwick making huge changes and more about having the freedom to make the squad his own. He could very well only change 4 players, but it changes your mentality when working within a limit, where as now he can start fresh and look at each player honestly without having a target to hit in the back of his head.

I could see Borthwick wanting to call up:
Marler, Chessum, Dombrandt, Kelly, Watson
Possibles: Isiekwe, Martin, Cole, Ford

Reactions: BPM
Ford should come back irrespective of whether Smith is fit or not.
Agreed

I'd like to see Marchant get a recall too.
I wouldn't - but that's purely because he's taking himself out of contention - unless he's going to renege on his contract in France, bringing him in for this 6N would be wasted caps where we could be picking someone who can actually go to the RWC.

I wouldn't - but that's purely because he's taking himself out of contention - unless he's going to renege on his contract in France, bringing him in for this 6N would be wasted caps where we could be picking someone who can actually go to the RWC.
Marchant will be eligible for RWC won't he? Same as LCD and Simmonds.

Reactions: BPM
I haven't seen anything specific re. LCD or Marchant's contracts, but I definitely read that Simmonds is still eligible for selection, so I can't see what it would be any different for them?

Not my understanding, but could easily be wrong.

Their contracts in France start Summer 2023 - before the RWC.
Surely LCD wouldnt rule himself out of WC contention when he is first choice for the WC

I haven't seen anything specific re. LCD or Marchant's contracts, but I definitely read that Simmonds is still eligible for selection, so I can't see what it would be any different for them?
I guess it's possible that they (or some of them) have contracts in France starting in December, rather than July as standard.
Or maybe RFU consider a world cup to be exceptional circumstances for any player moving that year - dunno, I hadn't seen that Simmonds was eligible despite not being employed in England. I had seen that Zach will be eligible, as he'll be under contract for an English club during the RWC.

Surely LCD wouldnt rule himself out of WC contention when he is first choice for the WC
Exactly.

Personally, I prefer George, but either way LCD is still a certainty for the squad even with a new coach with new preferences in place.

I'd like to think McGuigan might finally get his chance under Borthwick.

I just really hope JWillis gets a shot. I dont know what our back row will be but we have good options

6. Lawes, THill
7. Curry, JWillis, Earl
8. Dombrandt, TWillis, Billy/Simmonds(post WC Mercer)

Id be happy with Willis Curry Dombrandt. I like the 2 7s tbh. But Hill cant be far away.

Am worried about selection with a new coCh you hope all will be sortedbut he will have his own opinions and we could be disapointed in a different way.

Mercer is eligible for the RWC squad. Not just post RWC, although I wonder if he feels as though his move to Gloucester (to make himself eligible) is a bit riskier with a new man in charge for England?

Back row wise, we're spoilt for choice which unfortunately means good players missing out and it's hard to know what the best combination might actually be. Perhaps it ought to become more of a horses for courses/game by game piece, but I would generally prefer to see continuity in style and personnel.

I'd like to see Willis, Curry and either Dombrandt or Mercer as a trio, with Earl providing impact from the bench. At the same time I'm not against a more classic blindside. I'm fully converted on Lawes as a 6 and I was impressed by his captaincy in Australia. If/when he's fit, he's surely still in the mix. I think Borthwick will like the idea of Lawes or Hill at 6 which might mean Willis is more of a deputy for Curry.

I really hope we move on from Billy. He's still a good player, but I think he offers the least out of the options at 8 nowadays.

I really hope we move on from Billy. He's still a good player, but I think he offers the least out of the options at 8 nowadays.
And his stock has fallen as we've gained carriers. He was the fulcrum in 2016 when he was both brutally effective and, more or less, our only solid carrying option. With Genge, Sinkler and, to varying degrees*, Itoje, Ribbans, Curry, Lawes - Billy's USP is less unique. It definitely gives us the option to look at more all-court 8s.

*They're not primary, but all have either emerged or improved their carrying game in the meantime.

we will see.
But judging from both his time with England forwards and with Leicester Borthwick values number 8's who just truck

Billy didn't even carry that well for England any more. Really disappointed with his general performances.

I think Borthwick will go for Lawes and a Lawes deputy at 6. I'll be really interested in his choice of locks and Hill (sales Hill) really shouldn't be in England contention anymore.

Front row surely LCD and George will be 1st and 2nd choice. McGuigan has to be in, maybe Walker who is very good at the set piece. Genge and Sinks will be there. Heyes and Rodd as 3rd choices? We need prominent scum, LH is easily Marler or give a chance to VRR. Bit harder at TH I would say either Cole or if he doesn't want to take a risk due to age maybe a shot to Schonert who has scrum well for Sale. Can't really think.of any other THs who will offer a dominant scrum.

There is a need for a TH lock in too but with Isiekwe and Chessum back I think they should do ok. Itoje, Ribbans and add in Lawes and Martin as Borthwick likes a good line out option at 6, the 2nd row looks a lot better imo. Dombrandt comes in as the big bruiser at 8 but the only other big 8s are Tom Willis or Barbeary neither I think will be in and with Mercer not over yet I think Simmonds will still be replacement 8. Curry/ Earl and Jack Willis as the 7s and I think that's a good pack bit the depth chart there is incredible. Question about RUAN Ackerman too as a potential 8 as Borthwick does like a big 8.

JVP and Young's at 9? I don't mind as long as you have another young 9 like Quirke or Mitchell and Young's is there as in more of a coaching role. Farrell as at 10 as he should be. Atkinson maybe or Fin Smith if Ford and Marcus are injured? Kelly at 12 but add Lawrence into the fold with Slade and then one of Porter/Northmore/Lozowski as cover at centre as utility backs. Another call is Daly? He is playing well atm and offers a good kicking option. In the backs we surely need a physical option so Coka/OHC/Murley are ake your pick. Steward will be 15 but add in Watson/Freeman or Radwan who offer a more dynamic approach. Cases for someone like Malins or and hear me out Furbank, if Smith and Ford are injured then you will certainly need another 10 who at least has some ex experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts