• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who to get a call up then?
Cole I reckon will be top of the list
Wonder if they'll relax the EPS rules as it's a new coach - think they're usually only allowed a couple of changes per international period

I reckon the pack will see some restructuring - as you said: Cole likely in, McGuigan in for Singleton, Isiekwe

I'm pretty lukewarm on Borthwick, but he gets out support and goodwilll….until it starts going wrong.

I reckon he will look to build the kind of pack I like. Overall game plan, less sure.

He's still pretty raw as a head coach at any level and should surround himself with the strongest possible coaching team. While I have huge respect for Sinfield's league career and MND fundraising he has 5 minutes union experience - straight out of the Jones playbook and quite probably Borthwick's first misstep.

5 years is a long contract, but if the RFU haven't got a decent escape clause in there it's just nuts. Borthwick may have been Plan A all along, but at the end of the day he's still potential, not proven.

5 years just to the next world cup...had to give him a chance to build the team...

I hope he really focuses on the trying to win the next tournament or series...rather than one single minded focus on the World Cup 2027....

5 years just to the next world cup...had to give him a chance to build the team...

I hope he really focuses on the trying to win the next tournament or series...rather than one single minded focus on the World Cup 2027....
He knows he can't afford to have that kind of mindset I think. He'll be trying to win 6 nations and any other internationals as they'll be a break clause in there.

Very similar to the situation Pivac was in except his was a 4 year deal with a 2 year break so he knew first year he was completely safe even with a poor 6N and he was (finished 5th in his first year) but he knew, as I'm sure Borthwick will know if say he does badly in this 6N and the WC, that he'll have to get results at the end of the day.

The flip side of that is that he comes in and you perform very well in the 6N and WC and then the RFU might cut him some slack if you go through a year or 2 of average form.

"Results now don't matter, we are building for the WC" is the often repeated message that everyone got tired of and nobody believes any more. If Borthwick comes in and repeats that message but instead it's a WC 5 years away, I don't think he will be able to rely on much patience if things go wrong. By all means build for a WC 5 years away but Jones was fired because he was getting no results now, either by design or, more likely, because he was unable to.

You don't try and win the WC by not trying to win every tournament. Don't let Eddie's BS brainwashing filter down.

Seen a 6N team on rugbypass.
15 Steward
14 OHC
11 Watson
13 Slade
12 Lawrence
10 Farrell
9 JVP
8 Dombrandt
7 Curry
6 Earl
5 Lawes
4 Itoje
3 Sinckler
2 McGuigan
1 Genge

Backline fine, but pack seems quite lightweight.
Also, Dombrandt and Earl are floaters in wider channels, so not as many forward drivers

Dombrandt are floaters in wider channels, so not as many forward drivers
This isn't really fair on Dombrandt tbh, most of his big breaks are just really well run lines but often in the centre of the pitch, not just in the wider channels

Backline fine, but pack seems quite lightweight.
Also, Dombrandt and Earl are floaters in wider channels, so not as many forward drivers
Not really fair on earl either, who has been making some fantastic carries this season.

Some interesting comments by Gatland on Borthwick and Jones saying that when Borthwick was on the Lions tour in NZ Eddie wanted him to also do reviews of their games against Argentina which meant Borthwick had to work night and day doing 2 jobs but just go on with it and didn't complain. Had a few other shots at Eddie as well. Good to have Gatland back lobbing a few grenades.

Vestry and Evans apparently in line for attack coach role
Both out and out union. Surely not!

Particularly like the idea of Evans, esp if we're continuing with Smith.

Ref big flankers. Fitness permitting you have to assume Lawes has that sewn up until the RWC. But maybe opportunities for Martin and Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts