• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting comments by Gatland on Borthwick and Jones saying that when Borthwick was on the Lions tour in NZ Eddie wanted him to also do reviews of their games against Argentina which meant Borthwick had to work night and day doing 2 jobs but just go on with it and didn't complain. Had a few other shots at Eddie as well. Good to have Gatland back lobbing a few grenades.
But there weren't too many living west of the Severn who enjoyed the grenades quite so much when Eddie lobbed them back, as I remember.

But there weren't too many living west of the Severn who enjoyed the grenades quite so much when Eddie lobbed them back, as I remember.
Oh yeah for sure. I don't mind it personally as long as it doesn't cross the line. To be honest I wouldn't call what Gatland said in his telegraph column as grenades more just a dig at Eddie by complimenting Borthwick really.

Oh yeah for sure. I don't mind it personally as long as it doesn't cross the line. To be honest I wouldn't call what Gatland said in his telegraph column as grenades more just a dig at Eddie by complimenting Borthwick really.
Gatland's "grenades" were never really anything particularly controversial, it was more the sort of stuff that made you roll your eyes and ask "why are you even bothering to come out with this crap?"

Roofgate was made into a massive thing under Gatland when it just shouldn't have even been a thing in the first place.

Is there any point "radically overhauling" it though??

Who in reality (not in the squad already) is likely to burst in...a handful at the most (some due to injuries). Then in the summer he can have a good look at all his personnel ready for the WC.

Overhaul is a bit hyperbolic, but the current EPS limits numbers of changes per international series (5 changes?) which means he'd likely have to do some weighing up on decisions - would rather him be able to bring in as many, or as few, players as he wants than making do with a side he's not happy with

Yeah, he's not going to tear up Jones's squad completely, but he should be given the freedom to make it his own. He's only got 2 international periods to get a squad ready and it's just idiotic to tie his hands behind his back by limiting him to 5 players.

But who is likely to be replaced...and with who?

Seen a 6N team on rugbypass.
15 Steward
14 OHC
11 Watson
13 Slade
12 Lawrence
10 Farrell
9 JVP
8 Dombrandt
7 Curry
6 Earl
5 Lawes
4 Itoje
3 Sinckler
2 McGuigan
1 Genge

Backline fine, but pack seems quite lightweight.
Also, Dombrandt and Earl are floaters in wider channels, so not as many forward drivers
This seems to be a running theme with journalists.

Not 100% sure we dont see either lawes or martin at 6 tbh.

I think that injured players can be replaced without using up a replacement spot can't they? So that'll open up a few extra slots. With Faz likely moving to 10 for this series it means Kelly can come in for Smith without using up a slot.

But that goes totally against Borthwicks selections at 6...

Reactions: BPM
I think that injured players can be replaced without using up a replacement spot can't they? So that'll open up a few extra slots. With Faz likely moving to 10 for this series it means Kelly can come in for Smith without using up a slot.
Exactly. Injury replacements.

But as to actual full squad replacements i cant see there being many.

The likes of Mako might be at risk...Sam Simmonds...

This seems to be a running theme with journalists.

Not 100% sure we dont see either lawes or martin at 6 tbh.
I know Borthwick likes a big 6 but I'd be very surprised to see Martin near the starting team. He's not really in Borthwick's first choice back row at Tigers is he? I imagine Hill would get the nod ahead of him.

I know Borthwick likes a big 6 but I'd be very surprised to see Martin near the starting team. He's not really in Borthwick's first choice back row at Tigers is he? I imagine Hill would get the nod ahead of him.
Under Borthwick, Martin has played the most games at 6 for Tigers surprisingly.
He's injured anyway though

Under Borthwick, Martin has played the most games at 6 for Tigers surprisingly.
He's injured anyway though
That doesn't surprise me all that much to be honest. I know that Martin plays regularly but I still think that if Tigers were in a final tomorrow, Borthwick would opt for Liebenberg, Reffell and Cracknell to start with Martin on the bench.

Edit: for some reason said Cracknell. I meant Wiese. Although I think Cracknell may well be seen ahead of Martin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts