• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks rest 9 senior players for 3N tour to SA

ah who cares... the All Blacks and the Boks are the only teams that thought it would be a good idea, both did it in 2007 as well and again this year... don't know why everyone is moaning about it... if it helps the cause in the World Cup then go for it... let those Aussie dickheads complain all they want... it's the only thing they're really good at...

I'm with you brah.

ah who cares... the All Blacks and the Boks are the only teams that thought it would be a good idea, both did it in 2007 as well and again this year... don't know why everyone is moaning about it... if it helps the cause in the World Cup then go for it... let those Aussie dickheads complain all they want... it's the only thing they're really good at...

While the RWC may seem like the be all and end all for some of us rugby supporters, the "Aussie Dickheads" that you refer to ... the ARU, are responsible for the well being of the game in Australia, not just during World Cup year, but in the years beyond. Like all national Rugby Unions, they have to run their union like a business, and if they don't receive enough revenue, then players don't get paid, and other areas, such as rugby development, also suffer.

Going by the 2010 ARU annual report, the total revenue was 76.9 million, with a surplus of just AUD 1,066,000.

Of this Almost 25 million came from test matches, 23 Million from sponsorships, and 20 million from TV rights.

Each of the Tri Nations teams play two less tests, so revenue is down anyway.

... to have your business partner(s) taint your product by not supplying the best players like they have agreed to, is going to effect your income further, and therefore, the ARU (or the NZRU, or SARU), have every right to complain if one or both their business partners aren't fulfilling their commitments.

A wee question, when did you start using journalists who tend to make articles for keo.co.za in your debates?
While it could easily have been another NZ poster, I thought it was you that condenmed keo, correctly saying it is a site of racist posters and the like, and many of it's articles are designed to stir up controversy.

Don't confuse the posters on the site with the journalists who write the articles. You will be aware that the format of keo is different from here in that you cannot start your own threads/topics, you can only comment on the articles written by the journalists.

Also, I wasn't aware that Brosnihan and Stransky posted or wrote articles on keo. I have certainly never seen any.

Scotland rested players for the final few rounds of the Magners League, are the SRU a bunch if conniving, disrespectful and deceiving fools as well? And as for the 'rigorous training' supposedly being done, well, you're free to believe whom ever you wish, but personally I believe the word of medical professionals, whom stand to lose their careers if found guilty of lying, and have years if not decades in their professions, over the word of a journalists.

Yes, and didn't they say exactly what they were doing. Did they hide it behind BS about injuries

Who cares if South Africa lied about resting players? I certainly don't. You mean you would rather they said 'Yes we are resting 21+ players for some of the Tri-Nations'; either way (if they had lied or not) everyone would be still having a go at them for doing it. People will need to get over it. Also I must point out it seems that the people who are not 'getting' over it are Kiwi posters. Come on fella's, you are going to win the Tri-Nations, give it a rest.

To be honest I don't blame any side from resting key players like Scotland and South Africa have done. You want your best players available for the the biggest competition in rugby.

The difference between NZ resting players and SA resting players is that NZ will still field a competitive team. The Boks didn't stand a chance in the other game.

Who cares if South Africa lied about resting players?

I see!

Is it too much to ask for honesty, from the management of a game that uses words like Integrity, Passion, Respect, Loyalty and Discipline as the ethos and foundation of its Principles and Playing Charter.

Sorry, but SARU's behaviour on this issue is too much like the sort of stuff that goes on in Wendyball, who use the same words as a bumper sticker.

While the RWC may seem like the be all and end all for some of us rugby supporters, the "Aussie Dickheads" that you refer to ... the ARU, are responsible for the well being of the game in Australia, not just during World Cup year, but in the years beyond. Like all national Rugby Unions, they have to run their union like a business, and if they don't receive enough revenue, then players don't get paid, and other areas, such as rugby development, also suffer.

Going by the 2010 ARU annual report, the total revenue was 76.9 million, with a surplus of just AUD 1,066,000.

Of this Almost 25 million came from test matches, 23 Million from sponsorships, and 20 million from TV rights.

Each of the Tri Nations teams play two less tests, so revenue is down anyway.

... to have your business partner(s) taint your product by not supplying the best players like they have agreed to, is going to effect your income further, and therefore, the ARU (or the NZRU, or SARU), have every right to complain if one or both their business partners aren't fulfilling their commitments.

Aus should be able to keep their own boat afloat. They are already getting 33% of revenue where they don't nearly contribute that much ITO bringing to the table that revenue. SA is in effect subsidising their rugby. IE they are already getting their way ITO finances and in the formatting of the S15 which is nowhere near the ideal format for he other two 'partners'. My wish is that SA quit SANZAR and both 3N and S15 comps, get the CC back to 8 SA teams with teams from Arg and possibly the national team from Namibia like the old days with Zimbabwe as well and do old-school tours. I am so sick of the joke that is SANZAR.

I see!

Is it too much to ask for honesty, from the management of a game that uses words like Integrity, Passion, Respect, Loyalty and Discipline as the ethos and foundation of its Principles and Playing Charter.

Sorry, but SARU's behaviour on this issue is too much like the sort of stuff that goes on in Wendyball, who use the same words as a bumper sticker.

I still say we have every right to keep players who have been carrying long term injuries and constant ****les wrapped in cotton wool. We never said these players are on their death beds and sure some of them could have played at a push but they ARE carrying injury concerns and we have every right to look after the well being of our players. The S15 franchises did that (rushed players back) and we had extended injuries to Brussow, Fourie and Du Preez because of it. If other people can't accept that well that's their problem IMO.

The difference between NZ resting players and SA resting players is that NZ will still field a competitive team. The Boks didn't stand a chance in the other game.

Probably but that was pretty much the best team we could have pushed into the field. Some other selections might have been better but then the players that were selected did have some link to the Springboks and probably had a better chance to gel which I think was the key to the lack of cohesion. Lets also wait to see how compettitive the NZ 2nd string team is going to be. Anything at this stage is going to be projection; they might win, they might lose by 20. They should at least be more competitive than our 3rd stringeers as the only guys in the team that would be considered for a matchday 22 were Smit and Steyn whom many think shouldn't even be near the team.

Last edited:
Well Stormer, some of your own rugby journalists have let the cat out of the bag.

Mark Keohane, Joel Stransky, Mike Greenaway, Ryan Vrede, Warren Brosnihan and a couple of other South African Rugby journalists whose names I can't remember, have all been on NZ's RadioSport in the last two weeks telling NZ rugby fans that while there have been some injuries, they have been nowhere near as serious or as widespread as is being made out by the Springbok coaching and management staff.

They have also said that the "21" players have been at a rigorous training camp, and most of them don't look all that injured.

Ask yourself this question; if the RWC final was this Saturday, how many of these players would be willing to play through their minor injuries?

Keohane is a tool. You shouldn't take him seriously; anyone with time on their hands and a computer can start up such a blog.

Also, training and test rugby are 2 different things. Like I said, no-one said all these players can't play at a push but the thing is THEY ARE CARRYING INJURY CONCERNS IE ****LES IF YOU LIKE AND THEY ARENT 100% so we are looking after there well being and their chance to take part in the RWC.

Anyway, thats my last rant on the matter.

lets see what this change will impact on the team.i don see much difference really apart from the experience of the rested players.Newzealand has a good team the only difference is the number of caps won by an individual player.

springboks should tone down this game.they will win.

I see!

This is the real world, and that kind of stuff only really happens in movies when in relation to management; unfortunately it's the way of the world.

It'll be tough for them without what I think is their core of around 6 players Franks, McCaw, Read, Carter, Smith and Muliana.

It'll be tough for them without what I think is their core of around 6 players Franks, McCaw, Read, Carter, Smith and Muliana.
I'll be frank here and say that even with this so-called 'depleted team'....the ABs will win their game in the republic. Out of those 6 players, only one I think would be greatly missed would be Carter. Apart from him, all the players named to tour are just as good as those rested i.e: Kahui for Smith, Toeava/Dagg for Muliaina.

Who'll replace Read, Vito maybe? No where near Read's level and who'll replace McCaw. Thompson will most likely play 7 good player that he is he's not a 7.

Who'll replace Read, Vito maybe? No where near Read's level and who'll replace McCaw. Thompson will most likely play 7 good player that he is he's not a 7.
Messam will most likely start at 8 and Thomson at 7.

and bg8......Thomson may not be a 7 but he is playing like one. Watch im run wild against the Boks.

Forgot about Messam. I'm not saying N.Z. will lose but that it will be harder Messam and Thomson= International Class.
McCaw and Read = World Class.

I still say we have every right to keep players who have been carrying long term injuries and constant ****les wrapped in cotton wool. We never said these players are on their death beds and sure some of them could have played at a push but they ARE carrying injury concerns and we have every right to look after the well being of our players. The S15 franchises did that (rushed players back) and we had extended injuries to Brussow, Fourie and Du Preez because of it. If other people can't accept that well that's their problem IMO.

And I repeat, again, if you didn't understand me the first time, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH RESTING PLAYERS, but don't hide it behind a bullshit story about injuries, it cheapens the game, and the people telling the lies!!

And I repeat, again, if you didn't understand me the first time, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH RESTING PLAYERS, but don't hide it behind a bullshit story about injuries, it cheapens the game, and the people telling the lies!!

My point was that it's NOT a BS story. Not resting players carrying no trace of injury concern. I guess one can argue that in a contact sport the chances of not carrying some sort of ****le is rather small but I just took exception to the level of abuse on this site. Also, when I said; 'spew venom', I didn't mean either you or people who simply questioned the validity of the claims but those posts which went on to question the integrity of South Africans in general.

big difference between what NZ are doing now compared to what SA did apart from the fact NZ have been honest about it. NZ have still sent ~24 players from their top squad of ~35 - only one player was taken into the squad to make up for a rested player. Even if carter n' co. did make the trip they would have only made the bench at best anyway because some key players need to be given a run before the world cup

Slade needs to be given a start to get used to a pressure game and test his goal kicking. Messam needs gametime after not really getting much of a chance so far and Thompson needs a proper trial at 7 to make sure he's the backup for McCaw, Dagg & Toeava need gametime too - they are likely to make the WC squad but haven't had test rugby this year.

I still think this NZ side still has a good chance of winning this game, it's a quality side. their may only be about 3-4 players at most in this squad of 24 that don't make New Zealands World cups squad. and that will depend on how they play in this game compared to how well the other options went in other games.

Side could be something like this:

1, Woodcock
2, Mealamu (C)
3, John Afoa
4, Ali Williams
5, Sam Whitelock
6, Jerome Kaino
7, Adam Thompson
8, Liam Messam
9, Jimmy Cowan
10, Colin Slade
11, Hosea Gear
12, Sonny Bill Williams
13, Richard Kahui
14, Cory Jane
15, Israel Dagg

16, Hore
17, Ben franks
18, Jared hoeata
19, Victor Vito
20, Piri Weepu
21, Isaia Toeava
22, Ma'a Nonu

Very good team, biggest problem is lack of combinations that have been devaloped from the first two tests. Apart from that most of the players that have come in are just as strong as the ones that have been left behind and SA should be worried because for many of them their WC selection chances hinge on how well they play. I'd say 8-11 of these guys need big games to make sure of WC selection.

Latest posts