• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks to replace Afoa?

Larksea

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Will be interesting to see who gets the job if they do. I tend to think they will because they wont want to overwork the remaining props before the WC and woody isn't ready.

Afoa's Job is is mainly as a Tighthead who can play loosehead if needed. Much Like Tialata.

Who would you pick?

Doesn't really matter who they call in - they aren't going to get any game time unless another player goes down.

I can see Woodcock not making it back for the RWC.
If that is the case, Crockett and Franks will do the damage for us.

Well, if I were to bring in another player, I'd think about either going with Neemia Tialata who can play both sides but is best at tighthead. Experienced at this level etc, etc. Or, Charlie Faumuina would be another option, as he can cover both sides and looks to have a bright future. I think he'd do well at this level. The only other option is Ben Afiaki who the All Blacks coaches clearly rate, and may want to have him spend more time in an All Black enviroment.

I dont know what you guys thought about Tony Woodcock last night in the ITM cup, I watched most of the first half and to me he looked lethargic and lacked accuracy and fittness, his legs looked like they were lacking conditin and he looked chubby. I even saw him kind of skip a couple of times as he looked like he was protecting his foot.

You never know but he looks far from being ready for a world cup in my opinion.

Well, if I were to bring in another player, I'd think about either going with Neemia Tialata who can play both sides but is best at tighthead. Experienced at this level etc, etc. Or, Charlie Faumuina would be another option, as he can cover both sides and looks to have a bright future. I think he'd do well at this level. The only other option is Ben Afiaki who the All Blacks coaches clearly rate, and may want to have him spend more time in an All Black enviroment.

Amazing how much Charlie Faumuina has come on, really impressed by this guy from what I have seen from him.

Smartest thing to do would be to recall Tialata into the squad. His experience plus ability to play both sides of the scrum would be crucial...

Amazing how much Charlie Faumuina has come on, really impressed by this guy from what I have seen from him.

You obviously havent seen much. Hes good with ball in hand, but makes tons of mistakes trying to be clever with the ball, and gives away penalties just flopping over rucks. Defence is suspect too, just tonight he got fended off by a little centre from southland when trying to go high. His scrummaging is terrible at tighthead, he angles in and players can get under him so easy.

But people say hes good because he runs with the ball.

You obviously havent seen much. Hes good with ball in hand, but makes tons of mistakes trying to be clever with the ball, and gives away penalties just flopping over rucks. Defence is suspect too, just tonight he got fended off by a little centre from southland when trying to go high. His scrummaging is terrible at tighthead, he angles in and players can get under him so easy.

But people say hes good because he runs with the ball.

Actually, I think he's good because of his huge work rate at the breakdowns and his season with the Blues showed that. His scrummaging is perfectly fine at tighthead, but he is predominantly a loosehead prop (but with Woodcock back...). More often than not his entrance and positioning in the ruck is good. Can't comment on the game because I haven't watched it all yet, but he's certainly not as average as you make out.

I'll second what Nickdnz said - Faumuina is far from just a strong ball runner. He has a huge work-rate around the field, his scrummaging is solid (not outstanding, but far from poor), and his defense is pretty good (he misses the odd tackle, but again his defense is far from suspect). He is not perfect, but he certainly has the potential to be make the AB's in future.

I'll second what Nickdnz said - Faumuina is far from just a strong ball runner. He has a huge work-rate around the field, his scrummaging is solid (not outstanding, but far from poor), and his defense is pretty good (he misses the odd tackle, but again his defense is far from suspect). He is not perfect, but he certainly has the potential to be make the AB's in future.

What? not pushing Kees Meews's barrow Darwin :D ... and you call yourself an Otago supporter! :p

Maybe if it was 2001, not 2011... :)

What? ... next you'll be telling me Tony Brown's not up for a run either :p

Seriously though, does Ben Afeaki play both loosehead and tighthead ... who have we got besides Ben Franks and Tialata, who do both

Last edited:
Toby Smith can prob both sides, though he's very young and lacking experienve he's already one of the better if not the best scrummager in the chiefs outfit and he has a similar impact around the park the franks brothers have He's very young but IMO has got everything needed for test footy bar experience. ~190cm tall and over 110kg takes the ball to the line close to the ruck stronger than most props in NZ.

I've also seen Ben May scrum on either side though he's mostly a loosehead. But Ben May gives away a large amount of penalties, stupid penalties... He's also been overshadowed by Toby Smith IMO.

Plus Charlie and Ben

Kinda a tough call, no obvious option. It just may be that they bring in Tialata if needed even though he's got one foot on the plane.

Toby Smith can prob both sides, though he's very young and lacking experienve he's already one of the better if not the best scrummager in the chiefs outfit and he has a similar impact around the park the franks brothers have He's very young but IMO has got everything needed for test footy bar experience. ~190cm tall and over 110kg takes the ball to the line close to the ruck stronger than most props in NZ.

I've also seen Ben May scrum on either side though he's mostly a loosehead. But Ben May gives away a large amount of penalties, stupid penalties... He's also been overshadowed by Toby Smith IMO.

Plus Charlie and Ben

Kinda a tough call, no obvious option. It just may be that they bring in Tialata if needed even though he's got one foot on the plane.

There's a claim to fame...

Damn I hate tialata... He spends too much time on his phone, instead of bettering his game

well good news is Afoa is going to be back soon and looks like woodcock will get a run in the tri nations. Though I dont care what the comentary said about Woodcock when he played for harbour the other day. He looked pretty rubbish to me and very unfit.

Latest posts