• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pros and cons.
Apparently a Con-
The banks are leaving, the insurance maggots will follow them soon.
The city of London is about to become tumbleweeds and start ups.
Some media say it's a terrible thing that the financial conduit in London for all the massive foreign money coming into the UK and Europe is going to be lost, it's a terrible blow to the UK economy.
Having lived in London since 1999, I would say, the little people never see any of that money anyway and all thats happened is that super rich folk have articicially made the property unattainable for low and middle income indigenous Brits to get a property in the city where they grew up.
Is it a con?
Maybe if the money trickled into lower areas, but it hasn't for the last 20 years so goodbye financial fair weather friends.

Pro - with no EU loop to hide their tax money, will the British govt soon be able to start charging regular tax to Starbucks, Vodaphone, Costa, Google, Facebook, eBay, Paypal etc.????
Will the Tories ante up and make these sly tax dodging multi-nationals pay their fair share like the rest of us?
Now thats going to create some serious revenue.

Pro- control your borders, but it might be too late already.

Con - Trade deals; it's very unlikely that the plutocrats in Brussels will allow the UK to get off the hook without a millstone of debt around their neck -OR- they will impose a tariff on the UK.

Pro - The UK can whack a 20% tarriff on everything they export to the EU

Outcome - it gets expensive to do business in the UK

It may get expensive but as it's the worlds 5th largest economy with a population of 60 million plus and the biggest export market for the EU people will still be desperate to do that business

1 - The bankers contribute a metric ton of cash to the tax coffers even if individuals don't think they see it they'd certainly notice of it was gone.

2 - There are garuntees the tax loopholes for giant corporations will be tied up. Infact we've threatened to become a tax haven ourselves if Europe doesn't go our way in negotiations.

It may get expensive but as it's the worlds 5th largest economy with a population of 60 million plus and the biggest export market for the EU people will still be desperate to do that business
Sadly this argument is still theoretical to me nobody has actually offered up any evidence this will be the case. Certainly not to the degree we'd benefit more out of the EU than we did in it.

Sadly this argument is still theoretical to me nobody has actually offered up any evidence this will be the case. Certainly not to the degree we'd benefit more out of the EU than we did in it.
So everyone will just stop trading with us? That's it no French cheese, German cars, Italian wine nothing just stop?

So everyone will just stop trading with us? That's it no French cheese, German cars, Italian wine nothing just stop?
I didn't say they would stop. Infact I very much implied that it would carry on what I need proof if the change in relationship would be a benefit and I'll place extremely high bet we will do less business with Europe not more.

And before enough say we'll do more business with the rest for the world. Once we leave to EU we lose all our trade dealshow with the RoW the EU has. We can't negotiate any deals until we are out of the EU. So how long before we sign those deal and we start being in surplus of trade we are in now not a deficit. How long before we are able to say we are in surplus over the time we were in deficit?

Nobody on the Brexit side has begun to answer any of these questions and we're a year into this folly.

EDIT: To be clear when I say surplus and deficit I mean in terms of our trading before the Brexit vote.

1 - The bankers contribute a metric ton of cash to the tax coffers even if individuals don't think they see it they'd certainly notice of it was gone.

If I had a quid for every time I heard this old chestnut trotted out I'd be lunching with Bill Gates. Where is the hard proof of the 'actual' amount of money the City of London pays in tax to the British govt that comes into the coffers, rather than gets written off on new capital purchases etc?
I'd be VERY keen to see that over the last 20 years and balance it up to deferred payments and losses for the 2008-2010 period.

2 - There are garuntees the tax loopholes for giant corporations will be tied up. Infact we've threatened to become a tax haven ourselves if Europe doesn't go our way in negotiations.

What guarantees?
Links please?

Brexiter tactics:
1) Make dubious claims based on flag waving nationalism with no actual evidence to support
2) Upon having it pointed out there is no evidence, accuse opposition of whining, tell them "you lost" or tell them "we now all have to pull together"
3) Repeat 1 regardless of evidence presented to the contrary
4) Blame Remainers for anything that may go wrong because obviously it's their fault we are going down this path and their lack of faith is the SOLE reason things won't turn out as presented in point 1.

That was meant to say no guarantees.

Ahhh, that makes a big difference

In truth it is a horrid mess.

The idea of an EU is a great idea, it's just been very poorly executed and the boys at the top have filled their own pockets and gone a bit power crazy.
They have supplied the Brexiteers with plenty of ammunition to want to shoot them off in a referendum.
Its a shame the experiment has failed.
It should be a real wake up call for Mr Juncker and co. but I daresay their egoes won't allow them to improve the model
Instead they will seek to punish the UK
I bet the Queen is quietly stoked that the EU won't be able to over rule the laws of her land anymore.

Last edited:
Man thanks for the contribution it's really enlightening and added a lot to my political discourse.

You asked a question, I answered it. It is not rocket science. All of you are simply whining, rather than bringing logical suggestions to the table. Brexit is going to happen, accept it. Bring ideas that will help our transition become fruitful...rather than moan and whine.

Brexiter tactics:
1) Make dubious claims based on flag waving nationalism with no actual evidence to support
2) Upon having it pointed out there is no evidence, accuse opposition of whining, tell them "you lost" or tell them "we now all have to pull together"
3) Repeat 1 regardless of evidence presented to the contrary
4) Blame Remainers for anything that may go wrong because obviously it's their fault we are going down this path and their lack of faith is the SOLE reason things won't turn out as presented in point 1.

I am pretty sure that I made a pretty lengthy post that your kind ignored. So reality seems to be contradictory to your statement.

Man this trump presidency keeps getting wilder and wilder.
Sacking the Director of the FBI just as they step up their investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia was an inspired move.

When Brexit is done then we will say it WAS the 5th largest economy.
The banks are already moving. They are saying that it is a cautious advance into Europe as a preparation process just in case brexit goes badly. However the talk of Paris as being the key destination for banks has gathered serious momentum in the last month and some banks are already taking up leases and placing their people overseas, quietly.
Any kind of tarriff or transaction tax and Boom, the 'too big to fail' banks will all be gone in a heartbeat.
The major insurance companies will follow shortly after.
Apple has already shifted a key division out of the UK and into Stockholm.
Yes, it's only one sector of the economy but it's the one that always gets the headlines.
How is manufacturing going in the UK?
How many assembly plants here, like the BMW mini, receive parts of a vehicle, assemble them then send them back to Europe to complete their assembly?
If they get a border tax or tarriff, all those jobs will be in jeopardy.
In the meantime many folk here in business are holding back potential investment until they can be sure of what the ground ids going to be.
Nobody knows and the danger there is that investors do not commit to unstable or uncertain economic situations. They wait and watch.
Ever since President May triggered the brexit clause, Britain has been losing business.
EU based contracts are already being written without the UK in the loop.
Big changes are coming.

I am pretty sure that I made a pretty lengthy post that your kind ignored. So reality seems to be contradictory to your statement.
Actually he wrote a very lengthy reply that you chose to ignore.

Irony... Go back 1 page and just look carefully. As I was saying, don't you just love it when Brexiters falsely accuse others of what they are actually guilty of themselves? I mean look REALLY hard, you might spot it as the comment immediately after your lengthy post...

Also note to mods, the quoting system seems to have an issue in quote chains. I tried to reply to this comment but it quoted the comment before this that I initially replied to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts