• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I'm not sure how they are going to force developers to build. They are market driven and look at house prices, and not swamping the market. Average houses prices where i work £599,126. Can't see them lowering that or developers wanting to.

Why would they build loads of houses to reduce demand and price. I have a friend in planning and they have 20,000 property applications that are just sat on. You also have the issue of buying land, getting permissions then reselling at a higher value.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how they are going to force developers to build. They are market driven and look at house prices, and not swamping the market. Average houses prices where i work £599,126. Can't see them lowering that or developers wanting to.

Why would they build loads of houses to reduce demand and price. I have a friend in planning and they have 20,000 property applications that are just sat on. You also have the issue of buying land, getting permissions then reselling at a higher value.
I know affordable housing grants in America are cut throat competitive. People want to do it they just need the numbers to add up. I imagine the market forces are the same in the UK and the government will need to spend money on it if they expect the housing market to stabilize.

The cost of building the average house is nowhere near 600k.

So if builders can sell an average 3 bed semi at 600k, they'd make a fortune... which is all the incentive they need.

Was your mate talking about granted applications being sat on by the applicant, or active applications being sat on by the authority? It'd seem much more likely to be the latter than the former.

We will just get the Erminator, a machine that can never decide what to do. It would actually be quite fitting for us...

Ha - but you've forgot we couldn't afford to finish it.

So we'd get the Erminat - which would erm once then break.

I read that a lot of land in England is unregistered because it is owned by the Crown. Basically they grabbed it many moons ago and have never sold it and so there are no associated transactions logged with the Land Registry. Crazy thing is that they get state aid to renovate buildings like Sandringham all funded by the taxpayer and people wonder why there is a cost of living crisis and an undersupply of affordable homes. They'll also be raking it in from these windfarms off the south coast which I'm sure will help pay for Prince Andrew's expensive lawyers. It's grotesque.

Last edited:
The cost of building the average house is nowhere near 600k.

So if builders can sell an average 3 bed semi at 600k, they'd make a fortune... which is all the incentive they need.

Was your mate talking about granted applications being sat on by the applicant, or active applications being sat on by the authority? It'd seem much more likely to be the latter than the former.
Why would you flood the market to reduce the price you were getting. Share holders happy with a reasonable profit or large profit. I know which wins.

As far as i can recall they were sat on by the developer. Inews estimated the top 10 developers were sat on at least 700,000 plots of land last year. Even when paying out over 2 billion to share holders.

Last edited:

Targeting a mosque in Sunderland now, even though it's been revealed the suspect has no ties to Islam... Let's stop calling these "protests" or "demonstrations", this is plain old fair right thuggery and they are just using this as a convenient excuse to kick off, with self-serving little shits like Farage once again seeing an opportunity to stir things up even more.

I read that a lot of land in England is unregistered because it is owned by the Crown. Basically they grabbed it many moons ago and have never sold it and so there are no associated transactions logged with the Land Registry. Crazy thing is that they get state aid to renovate buildings like Sandringham all funded by the taxpayer and people wonder why there is a cost of living crisis and an undersupply of affordable homes. They'll also be raking it in from these windfarms off the south coast which I'm sure will help pay for Prince Andrew's expensive lawyers. It's grotesque.
Yep, fukin disgrace that the inbreds in Buckingham palace get away with it...

... and the mindless sheep cheer them on.

Why would you flood the market to reduce the price you were getting. Share holders happy with a reasonable profit or large profit. I know which wins.

As far as i can recall they were sat on by the developer. Inews estimated the top 10 developers were sat on at least 700,000 plots of land last year. Even when paying out over 2 billion to share holders.

But the builders aren't! A builder can only sell a new house once - what you see is average price of existing dwellings swapping hands. Unless my thinking is being coloured by what typically happens over here - where its maybe on a much smaller local scale.

So lets say that it is the case you allude to - and large developers are sitting - then the clear and obvious thing the govt need to do is have a limit on plots per developer and big changes in the size of average (estate) plot. Let the smaller builders in and they'll have no such reservations. They typically aren't answering to shareholders.

I spoke to a contractor on a residential development a couple years ago and he said that development companies buy up land and will sit on it for years if need be until the time is right to develop and cash in when prices in the area are favourable. They often 'get wind' of regeneration in the area or perhaps some big investment that will create upside and so they will swoop in and buy up land. Pretty sure it's all above board (cough cough) and that there's no misuse of any inside information from politicians or councillors. I would imagine they can upscale and downscale construction activities quite easily by using contractors who can be hired and fired pretty easily.

One thing I've noticed in the UK in places I have lived in is that the build quality is relatively poor compared to where I lived in Sweden. Developments here seem to have more flimsy windows, doors, were less soundproofed and just didn't feel as solid and robust. I suspect the cladding problems were the tip of the iceberg with corners being cut and poor quality materials used where possible all for the sake of profit.

Last edited:

Targeting a mosque in Sunderland now, even though it's been revealed the suspect has no ties to Islam... Let's stop calling these "protests" or "demonstrations", this is plain old fair right thuggery and they are just using this as a convenient excuse to kick off, with self-serving little shits like Farage once again seeing an opportunity to stir things up even more.

It's thuggery and bigotry all rolled into one. I saw that some Just stop oil protestors were banged up for up to 2 years for a non violent protest on the M25. These thugs deserve the same if not more. I really hope Starmer puts through new legislation on inciting riots because Farage and Robinson are also culpable. Even that twat Andrew Tate was getting involved.

Those people are running about with jails full and yet we have prisoners who can't be released because of the stupid IPP sentences.

Why can't they amend the law so that these prisoners can be properly released if safe?

Those people are running about with jails full and yet we have prisoners who can't be released because of the stupid IPP sentences.

Why can't they amend the law so that these prisoners can be properly released if safe?
Pretty sure that was part of the King's Speech - one which drew the ire of conservatives

Pretty sure that was part of the King's Speech - one which drew the ire of conservatives
Pretty sure they are not getting rid of them at the moment. I think it was Labour that brought them in early 2000's

Latest posts