• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Why the **** was the London one even given permission to go ahead?

I know it was a terrible incident, but in light of what happened at Southport it seems ridiculous to allow another protest.

Why the **** was the London one even given permission to go ahead?

I know it was a terrible incident, but in light of what happened at Southport it seems ridiculous to allow another protest.
Sarah Everhard Vigil has probably relaxed their stance.

But chances of violence should be the main reason.

I need to ask a legal friend really, why can't the guy plead guilty today? He's been in two courts to essentially do nothing but hold him on remand.

I understand if he wants to plead not guilty today and change his mind at a later date.

I need to ask a legal friend really, why can't the guy plead guilty today? He's been in two courts to essentially do nothing but hold him on remand.

I understand if he wants to plead not guilty today and change his mind at a later date.
Obvi don't know how uk works but it's mostly a logistics thing. Lots of people want to do it but it takes the right circumstances to do it.

If he's already been in all the courts he needs to be in and all the charges have been presented I don't see why not though.

I think he has a pre-trial / plea hearing is set for late October.

Even pleading guilty today the police and Cps would have to put a file together to show evidence that he did it. They would want to get victim impact statements etc. A case like this a Guilty Anticipated Plea (GAP) file would take some time. A guilty plea today wouldn't change that so makes sence they'd have it done in about two months, so it's more process really.

Plus further charges could still follow and so on. Especially if people are still ill. You also have mental health assessments and all that to do.

That's my basic understanding any way.

More riots, this time in Leeds over an unrelated incident. WTF is happening to this country?
Wasn't this the one where people kicked off when they tried to remove children from a property.

I don't know why it's became so acceptable to assault the police or people don't seem to be detered/bothered from doing it. Friends in the force say the level of violence they are facing now is considerably worse than 10-15 years ago.

Wasn't this the one where people kicked off when they tried to remove children from a property.

I don't know why it's became so acceptable to assault the police or people don't seem to be detered/bothered from doing it. Friends in the force say the level of violence they are facing now is considerably worse than 10-15 years ago.
Yes. They took a Romanian families children into care.

More riots, this time in Leeds over an unrelated incident. WTF is happening to this country?

One of the key problems for me is that you have right wing politicians and online influencers who can freely incite riots and not be punished. Liberties we enjoy like freedom of speech and the right to protest are being abused by far right politicians and thugs. Farage pushing conspiracy theories via social media about the stabbings in Southport while the police are still establishing the facts was shocking. Surely MPs shouldn't be commenting on on-going investigations and if they do have questions they can ask them responsibly in the HoC. This wasn't even in Farage's constituency. The laws on inciting riots surely need to be tightened.

These thugs have no interest in waiting for the facts to be established by the authorities - they just want a window to spread disinformation which then gives them the platform to cause violence. The judge was persuaded to reveal the attacker's identity just to stop the spread of more disinformation FFS.

Last edited:
One of the key problems for me is that you have right wing politicians and online influencers who can freely incite riots and not be punished. Liberties we enjoy like freedom of speech and the right to protest are being abused by far right politicians and thugs. Farage pushing conspiracy theories via social media about the stabbings in Southport while the police are still establishing the facts was shocking. Surely MPs shouldn't be commenting on on-going investigations and if they do have questions they can ask them responsibly in the HoC. This wasn't even in Farage's constituency.

These thugs have no interest in waiting for the facts to be established by the authorities - they just want a window to spread disinformation which then gives them the platform to cause violence. The judge was persuaded to reveal the attacker's identity just to stop the spread of more disinformation FFS.
I think the naming thing was legally they can release it at 18. He's 18 next week so he would have his name released and stand trial as an adult.

I don't doubt that to stop disinformation was a factor but releasing it a week early isn't much of an issue.

I think the naming thing was legally they can release it at 18. He's 18 next week so he would have his name released and stand trial as an adult.

I don't doubt that to stop disinformation was a factor but releasing it a week early isn't much of an issue.

I agree a week isn't long but I'd be surprised if the judge would have been persuaded in the absence of the risk of more disinformation being spread. I just don't like the idea of judges' hands being forced because of thugs who refuse to wait for facts to be established.

Last edited:

If cuts are going to be made, I'm not sure this is a good one to target. Tech and innovation spending has some of the best returns of any government spending and we should be doing more, not less.

If cuts are going to be made, I'm not sure this is a good one to target. Tech and innovation spending has some of the best returns of any government spending and we should be doing more, not less.
From my reading of the article the issue was that while the previous government promised the money, they didn't actually allocate it or budget for it. However, I get your point. If Labour want to grow the economy, then they need to invest. It's a difficult balancing act and we'll have to wait to see if they get it right.

I have to say I've been distinctly unimpressed by the some of the spending decisions so far. We seem to be cancelling lots of infrastructure projects (physical and tech) but going full speed ahead on low density housing.

My borough council has just been told to raise its house building targets by 200%.

Latest posts